lifebook mod, suggestions

Posted by: oojacoboo

lifebook mod, suggestions - 01/19/05 07:54 AM

[censored], but it works... any ideas?

Post edited by: oojacoboo, at: 2005/01/19 16:01
Posted by: maestro

Re:lifebook mod, suggestions - 01/19/05 01:26 PM

Well, what about a usb cdrom drive, or a large jump drive. Borrow one, if you cant, buy one, if you can (return it when you are done-I know its shady-but its a solution).
-Maestro
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:lifebook mod, suggestions - 01/19/05 07:18 PM

a jump drive won't work for installing an OS, as far as I know. And, I don't know anyone who uses a usb cd rom drive. Even if I did, the system I bet wouldn't recognize it without drivers. :dry:
Posted by: TutAnGeek

Re:lifebook mod, suggestions - 02/07/05 10:52 PM

Does it have a floppy?
You can probably boot off of a floppy, and then load an installer from the CD or network.

You should really boot into your bios and check to see what boot options exist /there/ first [perhaps it does support USB boot?]
Posted by: burtman

Re:lifebook mod, suggestions - 02/07/05 11:37 PM

check the bios to see if it supports booting to other devices in the boot order section, if it does try a USB cd drive with a windows disc in or a USB floppy drive with a dos boot disc, If that doesnt work try taking the hard disc out, formating in another PC (you will most likley need a 2.5 inch IDE to standard IDE adpater) do a format and to copy the basic dos boot files to the disc, if you dont have them try http://www.bootdisk.com
copy over the contents of a windows cd to a folder on the disc.
put the disc back into the lifebook and hopefully it should boot to a dos prompt, launch the windows setup from within the dos folder, i think its winnt.exe but it might just be setup.exe its been a while since i've done it.

after that you just have to put the thing into a case!

If you cant get that to work, I'll take it of your hands if your going to throw it away... might make a good remote for my Lounge Mac!