The $5 Laptop... Apple

Posted by: KnifeLord

The $5 Laptop... Apple - 10/18/04 05:18 PM

Hey,
As I was patrolling eBay for laptop parts (sisters comp) I came across the idea of finding the cheapest apple laptops... I was looking around and found a large number of them for 5-40 bucks for the old 5300 (not that they are worth that much more... but its cool that I could get them for that) As I looked I was talking to one of my good friends (windows guy...) and he is like DUDE WE NEED TO GET SOME... IF NOTHING ELSE FOR A GOOD EXPLOSION! Then it came to me... what if I were to start a sight with say 2 min. movies, with short story lines, where I blow up, mutilate or chop into old laptops... Now I know that any true mac lover's first thought is... ITS A MAC I LOVE APPLES HOW COULD I DO THIS... but if I did do this, I could easily remove some of the 'good' parts, and after desecrating the computer, I could see if anything else was worth keeping... Another neat use of the old PB 170's THEY RUN THE 'FUN' GAMES! I wish someone would come out with a emulator for system 7.x I would pay a ton for it, just because I love that old system! Anyway Just curious if anyone thinks this would be cool/fun/worth doing... Because its always fun to blow up stuff... even if it is your favorite brand of electronics!!!

-Knife

(Edited for Spell Check)

Post edited by: KnifeLord, at: 2004/10/19 00:21
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 10/18/04 05:33 PM

That is pretty funny. I think that it is a good idea, but I would be a little more creative in my process. It would get old if all you did was blow up computers and chop into them. You could do something like the Office Space and whatnot, or like some sort of jackass type series. I duno, if you were creative enough it could be really cool. If you decide to go ahead with the site and all, let me know. I might be able to help with the hosting of the videos. I don't know about for free, but I can def get you a good deal. I am sure, if it becamse popular that it would eat BW like crazy for videos. wink

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 10/18/04 06:31 PM

If you really could host it for cheep I might actually do it! I can get most of the filming and stuff from different friends... but explosives are another matter... maybe going to WY... That could be really cool... I think I will get a few friends together and write like three scripts... see if they turn out any good... If you have MSN/AIM messengers, I could send you a copy when/if we finish them... This could get really good...

-Knife

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 10/18/04 07:44 PM

yea sure, AIM me at oojacoboo.

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 10/18/04 07:47 PM

o yea, you may want to consider cheap PCs. I am sure that you can get those cheaper than apple laptops off ebay. Actually there are companies that give away Monitors and old computers everyday. This would make your costs near nothing. Then you could spend the money on hosting for the site to make sure that it is well advertised. Don't spend 30 dollars a computer after shipping and all. wink

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 10/18/04 09:32 PM

true... but I love macs, i might get TOO mad at a windows machine and scavange nothing for profit/breaking even lol. Thats a good idea tho I might look into that... I also saw this one guy one eBay who evadently has acess to a wherehouse of old comps (he had G4's but you never know) he might have some older laptops which he could combine shiping... A few of these people are selling them for 1.75, but they refuse to combine the shipping... why? I have no idea... but whatever... Do you know one of these companies that has old moniters/computers... that would be nice to get them for free! But then again I also like the idea of just using laptops, because they look good from anytime... I would asume that most companies have the older computers that are just kind of a white to dead-yellow color... The joy of destroying something that looks good would add to the movie!

-Knife

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 10/19/04 05:02 AM

I guess, but people like to destroy old computers as well. Plus, you can't beat anything that is free. Also, monitors and bigger systems mean more smashing fun wink . If you really wanted to get into this, you could get a donation of computers from a company for a fun raiser. You could have a whole truck full of these systems. Take them to a parking lot of a company with permission of course, like a Best Buy, on a saturday afternoon. Get people to pay like 5 dollars to get to smash a computer and video tape it for them. Then you could give them a copy of the tape as well. You could make money this way, if you didn't do it as a fund raiser (much harder to get permission) or you could just sell the tapes and keep that cash for yourself. Then you could put all the videos on the web, or keep some of the computers and make your own for the web. If you donate 51% it is still considered a philanthropical event. I mean, your time could be worth 49% of the profits wink
Posted by: whitlock

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 10/19/04 01:16 PM

Launch it in a trebuchet about 500ft away. That would get some attention!

-> trebuchet.com <-

Just an idea, because it looks like you are set on destroying a fairly decent laptop.

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 10/21/04 02:38 AM

Now theres an idea... what if I had people help build the Trebuchet then we have a rally for like apple infront of the Apple store in denver... Have apple make a huge deal about it on their website for like 3 weeks... and then have like a ton of people show up to watch apple computers flying through the air and smashing into walls and such! I would go to that anyday!!!! And that would bring people to the apple store... they would make money... I would get to destroy computers... And everyone would be enjoying a day at the apple store!!! Would be really cool if at the end we throw a brand new iMac G5! Apple would make a ton... now... does denver have a parking lot big enough? lol... well If anyone is an apple representitive see if you can convince apple... that would really rock!

-Knife

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 04/15/05 05:30 PM

Hey,
Sorry to reopen a post that takes a ton of time to read. But at any rait I belive that I will soon be buying an old mac at a junk store. I will also purchace a few (CHEEP) cool looking speakers. And then record a demelition session. Durring the session I want to blow out the screen, the speakers and then ignite. I was wondering if there was some safe way to power the computer up so we have a screen and maybe some music going when we blow it. Currently I am thinking about having a long cord I can unplug right before it blows, giving the effect of a massive explosion with the comp still on, or is it possible to leave it pluged in w/o damageing the electirc box? Still brainstorming so if anyone has any ideas give em!!!

-Knife

(currently I also dk where I will get a good cam, I might ask my neighbor or use my dad's old Svhs one, but I would far rather use a DV recorder caus I have a tape deck that works w/ my comp[rather my dad does, and I am 'Borrowing' it.] As you can see this is a brainstorm.)
Posted by: dead13

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 04/15/05 05:53 PM

i'll build a guillotine for one and film it being chopped in half don't ask why but i just happen to have the blades and have made a few working ones already!!
Posted by: WurdBendur

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 04/15/05 06:31 PM

That's kind of creepy.

But getting back to that old post (if anybody's still keeping track)... It's unlikely that Apple (or any other company) would be supportive of any kind of promotion that involves destroying their products. Still, it would be fun to watch. Better with PCs.

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 04/16/05 02:35 PM

My last post on page on is the relevent one. I just wanted to show previous brainstorms, were not doing it as a promotion right now, but just filming its distruction. I cant get it until atleast tuesday, and then I wont be able to blow it up till around saturday... then I will want to edit the film... so I will likely have the finished product sometime around the week after next.

-Knife

(PS: why? That is a bit... odd... especially b/c you have the whole skull w/ hatchet in it as a pic.)
Posted by: dead13

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 04/16/05 02:51 PM

i run a company that puts on haunted houses in louisiana and we build them and sell them to other haunted house owners across america but they are all non-functional...however i happen to have "inherited" some 3/4 inch thick steel plates and we want to build a working model.so if you want me to i will cut a windows machine for the fun of it!

Re:The $5 Laptop... Apple - 04/17/05 12:56 PM

Very cool,
Make sure to include picks or a movie of the piece being sliced.

-Knife