What Project are your working on?

Posted by: oojacoboo

What Project are your working on? - 07/17/04 02:33 AM

Tell everyone what project you are working on. Whats the latest modding news for you. Post a picture of your mod in progress or your thoughts and ideas on a mod. Maybe someone can throw some pointers.

BTW, I don't have any projects right now, as I am in Australia, but when I return to the states, I will be working on m mobile mac, as I call it. It will be a mac in my car with a touch screen control for video and music playback. Any ideas?

Cheers.
Posted by: TutAnGeek

Re:What Project are your working on? - 07/17/04 04:49 AM

I don't have any mod in progress now either. I'm in NYC for the month. I do, however, have an extra iBook SE (Graphite clamshell) that is begging to have something done to it smile

I just need to figure out what to do with it... :-/
Posted by: krusher117

Re:What Project are your working on? - 07/17/04 05:33 AM

I'm currently taking apart an All-In-One G3 "Tooth" mac. I hope to figure out what kind of mod will be suitable for it based on what I find underneath.

Posted by: krusher117

Re:What Project are your working on? - 07/17/04 05:34 AM

oh yea, I plan on documenting the dissasembly for others to follow
Posted by: MarMightyGood

Re:What Project are your working on? - 07/17/04 06:46 AM

My current project is about as exciting as watching paint dry...

A friend gave me an old Genius 10Base-T network hub which was originally in a fashoinable shade of biege. Not being one to accept these kinds of things I am painting it gloss white to match my ibook. I'm currently about half way through although it wil need a few more coats (hopefully tomorrow will be a nicer day so I can paint!).
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:What Project are your working on? - 07/17/04 11:30 AM

MarMightyGood, I hope you are documenting this so that you can post a mod guide. I would be nice to see how it is done for other devices as well. Cheers...
Posted by: TutAnGeek

Re:What Project are your working on? - 07/17/04 03:51 PM

krusher117 wrote:
Quote:
I'm currently taking apart an All-In-One G3 "Tooth" mac. I hope to figure out what kind of mod will be suitable for it based on what I find underneath.

I've heard of people putting Christmas tree lights under the translucent bit
Posted by: mark

Re:What Project are your working on? - 07/17/04 05:19 PM

Teaser for my current project

That one is currently on break until I find some more time for assembly, which will probably be minutes after I figure out how to mount the parts and make the structure a little more stable.

The other long term project is a wearable mac, but that one is really waiting on a computer I think is usable, then finding input devices and power for it. But that one's been a work in progress for nearly 3 years so I don't know if it will be done anytime soon.
Posted by: MarMightyGood

Re:What Project are your working on? - 07/18/04 02:02 AM

I have been documenting my progress, unfortunately I don't think it will turn out as well as I had hoped. My final coat of paint was a bit thick and so there are some drips . Thats why I'm practising on a bit of free gear tho!

Post edited by: MarMightyGood, at: 2004/07/18 02:16
Posted by: whitlock

Re:What Project are your working on? - 07/19/04 12:11 AM

my project is to take a terry cloth to the apple logo i had to sand all of the scratches out of. after that, then i am tempted to lay new tape behind the panel on a g3 b&w to say something else, like g 3.5, or whitlock. something along those lines. also, trying to let my roomate let me borrow his canon 10d so i can take very nice, clear shots of the g3 processor upgrade, with a twist that can save a few bucks + a trip to radio shack. those are all of mine at the moment, will keep updated though.
Posted by: godicm

Re:What Project are your working on? - 09/18/04 03:41 PM

new project? :blink: biggest project so far: since the machine is running, i try to enjoy it and get my fingers off the hardware. no modding, not even opening the case. nothing. i wonder how long i will stand this...
laugh
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:What Project are your working on? - 09/18/04 07:58 PM

Well,
Currently I am looking into the whole "better Powerbook G4 speakers" mod, and I am still working on iPod Woodie, slowly... Idk that either will be done any time soon...

-Knife
Posted by: whitlock

Re:What Project are your working on? - 09/18/04 08:29 PM

Here is my current list:
[ul]- Possibly the most detailed G3 processor jumper guide ever[/ul]
[ul]- Sawtooth G4 processor placed in non-G4 motherboard w/ guide[/ul]
[ul]- Obtaining funds for Mac Laptop [/ul]
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:What Project are your working on? - 09/18/04 11:20 PM

My G5 coffee table. Two G5 cases. One is pearl yellow with kandy red flames pinstriped in silver, the other is a pearl teal with metal flake white flames, and purple pinstriping. Gonna put a piece of tempered glass on top and rock the living room hot rod style. I also need to paint a set of shells for my G4 iBook in Candy Apple red. (its an actual kandy color, not just the paint color). Once a friend gets his ibook, it will be pearl black with bamboo and voodoo stuff airbrushed onto it in a yellow/red shimmer-shift paint. All should look pretty sweet.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:What Project are your working on? - 08/03/05 12:59 AM

I have three projects that i'm working on.

Project one.
iMac Boni Blue Rev A to use a slot-load DVD drive.

Project two.
Building a case out of plexi-glass for my main PC. It's going to have a Dark red el-wire around it and also i'm thinking to use some window tint from walmart to give it some color. Also I'm building a custom water cooling system for it, making the water tank as part of the case so you can see the water on the side of the case.

Project three.
Building a 12 node beowolf cluster, each system with have AMD K6/2 at 500MHz and 128MB or ram. Sadly I don't have 12 hard drives that are the same size.
So in all the whole system will be.
6GHz
1536MBs of ram
and I think 200.6GBs of harddrive space.
I'm using a real big metal trunk to hold off of this in. So far I don;t have enough room for the CD-ROM drives but I don;t need them when i'm finished. Just need the main system to have one and the main system is going to be in it's own case.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:What Project are your working on? - 08/03/05 05:36 AM

I have two projects in mind, but I don't know which will come first.

After I get tired of the beautiful iMac G5, I'm thinking I'll tinker around to figure out how I can make it unique. So far, I haven't gotten many ideas because, lets face it, Apple has made it the epitome of perfection B) ! However, just the other day an idea hit me--the speaker grill on the bottom of the chassis might allow some room for light modding. Perhaps a few LEDs to shine through the grill? What does everybody think?

The other project centers on my 9600/200. This pre G3 model, as most of you know is very versatile. If I wanted to spend the money, I could turn it into a pretty decent G4 with 1.5 gigs of RAM :blink: ! But I don't know if I'll do that--anybody have any ideas?

Post edited by: shadowboxer47, at: 2005/08/03 12:42
Posted by: maestro

Re:What Project are your working on? - 08/03/05 06:12 AM

I would build your 9600 into a file server. How about a g5 case? You could put in a cheap
ata-66 drive controller, a couple of fat drives, and a g3 upgrade. I would like to see more
macs put into a g5 case. If you look around enough, you should be able to do this for cheap.
-maestro
Posted by: Mikeyullinger

Re: What Project are your working on? - 08/15/06 10:48 AM

I have a set of fans from my dad's old Dell that i tore into last year.  smile I plan on putting it into my tangerine ibook clamshell so i can overclock it more than normal. I just need to find a place to connect the power for it so it will run regardless of battery power or adapter but i couldn't find a pinout for the display or backlight cables to plug it in. So that project's on hold until i can find one (it's my main machine so I don't want to do anything too drastic to it, plus I'm new to modding and don't know how to do pinouts).