adb to usb

Posted by: Graphx

adb to usb - 08/30/07 02:56 PM

Does anyone know how to rewire an adb connector so you put an usb connector on the end. I was given a wacom intous drawing pad that has an adb connector. But both my macs are usb
Posted by: 987687

Re: adb to usb - 08/30/07 03:46 PM

This might be what you are looking for, it is a pit pricey though
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imate/
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: adb to usb - 08/30/07 07:09 PM

The ADB Wacom will ONLY work in OS 9 or earlier. It will not work in OSX with any adaptor. It was one of the biggest shames of the transition a few years ago.
Posted by: maestro

Re: adb to usb - 08/30/07 07:14 PM

ADB to USB adaptors do not work well, at least in my experience.  That is unfortunate because adb was a fine set of connectivity.  In the end, it was another Apple connection that didnt catch on.  Firewire did and thats awesome because usb 2.0 sux for HDs.  With that said, if you do not have a compatible Mac, sell it to someone who does.  There are more out there than you think!
Posted by: zenstate

Re: adb to usb - 08/30/07 08:39 PM

ADB was a great connection and died a sad death.  The last mac to have an ADB port was the B&W G3 tower.

I have read on xlr8yourmac.com that OSX only likes ADB if its built in to the mac and adapters are sketchy at best.
Posted by: Tigaernach

Re: adb to usb - 08/31/07 07:56 AM

This is true. I have an old B&W with an ADB plug and an
equally venerable Wacom pad. I have used it though, but
Photoshop 7.0 didn't see it as an alternate input device. It
was like a mouse in every respect to OSX.3.9.
Posted by: modyourmac

Re: adb to usb - 08/31/07 09:14 AM

Maestro is right. ADB-USB interconnect worked marginally under OS9, with drivers. Under OSX, more often than not, it is a kernel panic causing beast. If there was a lolcat for it, the caption would be "run like plague!"
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: adb to usb - 09/01/07 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: "zenstate "

ADB was a great connection and died a sad death.  The last mac to have an ADB port was the B&W G3 tower.

I have read on xlr8yourmac.com that OSX only likes ADB if its built in to the mac and adapters are sketchy at best.

Actually, there were later portables whose trackpads used ADB, just not the standard connectors. Which makes it odd that OS X doesn't like other ADB devices. Must be the USB adaptor bit that causes the problem.
Gives me an idea though: Re house a laptop which has an ADB trackpad, only swap out the trackpad for a tablet..........
Apparently even the early Alu PowerBook G4s had ADB pads. Mactracker doesn't list them for iBooks, but I think the clamshells definietely had ADV, probably some of the earlier white G3s too.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: adb to usb - 09/01/07 02:19 PM

I didn't know that about later model trackpads.  Interesting.
Posted by: BOM

Re: adb to usb - 09/01/07 06:48 PM

I think all Mac Laptops manufactured before late 2004/early 2005 use internal ADB busses for the trackpad, that includes the early G4 iBooks.

I think only the USB trackpads support 2 finger scrolling, so if the laptop doesn't have this feature it's probably using ADB.

I connected to the internal USB bus when I modded a Wallstreet PowerBook (http://flux.openobjectproject.org/?p=8), it was fairly straightforward. (Waragainstsleep - I like your tablet idea)
Posted by: manhackman

Re: adb to usb - 09/02/07 09:14 AM

A good friend of mine used the same adapter with an older Wacom on a G5 imac with no problems!