acrylic cutting

Posted by: soundmann18

acrylic cutting - 09/22/05 02:52 PM

So I just found a fairly effective way to cut complex shapes into acrylic - sitting in a chair, I put my jigsaw on lowest speed with a metal cutting bit in, pushed down the trigger and set the lock then turned it upside down and held it between my legs - then I had 2 hands free to control the acrylic. Granted, if you happen to have one of those non-handheld jigsaws (band saws?), that would work better. So here's a picture of an apple logo I made from the left over circle from cutting blow holes in my laptop stand:

Edit: can anyone think of a use for this? All I've got so far is christmas ornament - if you have a good use for it, i'll even mail it too you.

Post edited by: soundmann18, at: 2005/09/22 21:55
Posted by: maestro

Re:acrylic cutting - 09/22/05 03:00 PM

Hey thats cool. You could cut a matching hole in a mac and put it in there. You could also make a paperweight or something.
-maestro
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:acrylic cutting - 09/22/05 03:01 PM

Wow, that is impressive! I can't believe you did that with a jigsaw... great job! :blink: laugh Perhaps you should invest in one of these?

As for uses: as soon as I saw that, I thought it would look great with a blue glow behind it on a chasis. Do like Maestro suggested, plug in some LED's and voila!

Post edited by: shadowboxer47, at: 2005/09/22 22:02

Re:acrylic cutting - 09/22/05 03:03 PM

yeah, too bad i have a laptop - but at some point i'm bound to purchase a desktop, just dont know when

yeah - a dremmel is one thing i've asked for for my birthday in 3 weeks

Post edited by: soundmann18, at: 2005/09/22 22:05
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:acrylic cutting - 09/22/05 03:09 PM

soundmann18 wrote:
Quote:
a dremmel is one thing i've asked for for my birthday in 3 weeks

Ha! That's what my wife gave me for mine! Trust me, you'll love it!

Re:acrylic cutting - 09/22/05 03:34 PM

yeah - i borrwed a friends for some stuff around here (putting in a master switch on a 3 branch lamp, removing the white plastic in my bt mouse) but he only had a grinding stone, so it'll be fun to get a full set
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:acrylic cutting - 09/22/05 11:18 PM

Greaty work! But man watch those fingers! :unsure:

Re:acrylic cutting - 09/23/05 12:52 AM

I mean, you've got 10 of them whistle