Goombye, schmuck!

Posted by: steveg

Goombye, schmuck! - 06/10/14 05:10 PM

Eric Cantor just lost his primary to a Tea Bagger!!! Could this be a huge gift to the Dems? Yeeeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwwww! laugh
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/10/14 05:15 PM

Wow!
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/10/14 05:39 PM

Yeah, holy moly!

Link.

The bad part is, though, now there might be someone *worse* than Cantor (I know, *shudder*, right?) representing that district and Virginia. I wouldn't assume the Dem will be an easy win because of this ...

We can hope, though ...

Regardless, don't let the door hit your butt on the way out, Eric. Schmuck.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/10/14 08:21 PM

Let's hope so !!
Can't imagine anyone to the right of Cantor that's not also Fking bat chit insane !!

Go TP… run up the score for the GOTP !!

What's amazing is he's one of the guys who cultured the TP early on !! and they trashed him !!
Bwah-aha-aha !! grin (rubbing hands together)

Posted by: garyW

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/10/14 08:35 PM

Glad to see Cantor out, but the TeaParty just gained some major mojo. With democrats' tendency to not show up to vote in the mid-terms this could not end well at all.

On the other hand, HuffPo is reporting that VA dems "plotted" to vote against Cantor in the open primary. This might have worked as intended but it still is a pretty dickish way to elect or oust representatives.

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/10/14 08:43 PM

And you don't think the other side does that ? crazy

whistle

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 02:34 AM

Turns out that both Brat and the Dem nominee are profs at the same college! The former is an economics prof, the latter, sociology. Gonna be an interesting November in them thar parts.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 03:11 AM

I knew this had to be what your post was about. He will be missed by few I expect. Goom-bye-ya Mr. Cantor, Goom-bye-ya.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 03:38 AM

Hopefully it's win-win. Virginia is trending bluer all the time no? And tea baggers have lost in less blue states after they won the primary. Fingers crossed
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 03:42 AM

Best news yet. Cantor is a loser! Hopefully the Democrat running against Tea party candidate can win .
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 05:50 AM

Considering how districts are so gerrymandered to favor Rethugicans.....

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 07:04 AM

Quote:
This might have worked as intended but it still is a pretty dickish way to elect or oust representatives.

Only if you believe in parties. Otherwise, an open election is perhaps the most non-dickish process possible: *Every* constituent gets to vote on who has a shot at representing them, not just those who (presumably) share the same political views as the candidate. If a party wants more control over who are its nominees, it should hold a convention. But if it chooses to hold a primary election instead, it should be open to all constituents ...

Regardless, here's an article that says the polling stats don't support the theory that Dems may have affected the outcome ...

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 07:14 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Considering how districts are so gerrymandered to favor Rethugicans.....

I've been reading several analyses pointing out the irony of districts gerrymandered to be supposedly "safe" have simply concentrated the radical base and may have made it more difficult for incumbents to keep their seats because they're not radical enough. An interesting theory that's obviously supported a bit by Cantor's loss, but it remains to be seen if it proves valid on a wider scale ...

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 07:24 AM

Anyone know what the turnout was like? We had our primary a few weeks ago, and in my district only 16% of the electorate poured out to vote. Now, there really were no hot contests in the state--the hottest is for governor, but both the Dem and Rep candidates were a shoo-in (I just contributed to the Dem last night: I'm on my knees praying to the guy in heaven that I don't believe in!). But if the Brat won in a similarly underperforming election, then I'm not shocked that he beat the Cantor (I love it that for both of these guys you can add a "the"!). People who vote in primaries are the most obsessed, and that = TPs.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
...stats don't support the theory that Dems may have affected the outcome ...

I've read that too, again at Nate Silver's 538.

Cantor's defeat seems to be the result of the pandering Right eating itself. Cantor's position on immigration was too liberal for the new patriots.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) — In a development that few had thought possible, Republicans in the Seventh District of Virginia on Tuesday night found an even bigger tool than Rep. Eric Cantor to represent them in the United States Congress.

Apparently deciding that Cantor was insufficiently heartless to represent their district, Republicans turned out to the polls to elect David Brat, a man whose political views “border on sociopathy,” according to exit-poll responses from voters who supported him.

During his concession speech, Rep. Cantor reflected on the mistakes that might have led to his defeat: “Should I have cut more school-lunch programs for poor children? Perhaps. Should I have cast more votes to screw over disaster victims? Definitely. Should I have not said the thing about treating children of immigrants like human beings? Man, do I wish I could take that one back. Hindsight is twenty-twenty, but at the end of the day I was just too damn empathic for this district.”

But Rep. Cantor was gracious in defeat, offering words of congratulation to the victorious Mr. Brat. “The people of the Seventh District have spoken,” he said. “The time has come to pass the torch to a new generation of asshats.”

When asked about the defeat of his longtime colleague in the House, Speaker John Boehner said, “I will give a formal statement as soon as I can stop laughing.”

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 07:53 AM

All I've found on turn out.

CCN says this: "Turnout was low."

The New Republic says this: "He can’t blame the loss on turnout either: Turnout was greater on Tuesday than it was two years ago."

The NY Times gives numbers, but not percentages: "Turnout was not unusually low: More than 63,000 votes have been counted so far, up from around 47,037 in 2012." (What percentage of voters is that?? And does the 13,000 vote increase come from TPers??)

And finally ding ding ding from NBCWashington: "Despite the political ramifications of his loss, the election had a low turnout of approximately 12 percent in Commonwealth's left-leaning 7th District."

I wonder about the "left-leaning" tag, but if the 12% is a correct figure, I have to say that the result of the primary means absolutely nothing at all beyond what we all know, that activists control primaries. To be sure, that fact has obvious implications for the future of American democracy, but it also means that Cantor's loss ≠ a rising tide of TP importance.

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 08:47 AM

Most troubling for the country, IMHO, is that this certainly kills immigration reform until the Dems strengthen their Senate majority and take back the House. And I call out immigration because it drives so many other issues — like the economy — that are so badly compromised.

I'm hoping that this was an anomaly, and that Cantor's national ambitions — rather than his challenger — were what defeated him.

The more the right influences policy and outcomes, the less recognizable this country is. frown

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/11/14 02:47 PM

Something about doors and asses on the way out.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/12/14 03:17 AM

What ever you say we listen to Steve.

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/12/14 04:25 AM

Marv, you need something productive to do. How about I send you a piece of paper with "Turn Over" written on both sides.

Re: Goombye, schmuck! - 06/12/14 07:33 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
All I've found on turn out.

CCN says this: "Turnout was low.".

well actually they're correct, Yoyo… the turnout WAS low… a bunch of low-lifes !! laugh