Dominoes

Posted by: lanovami

Dominoes - 05/09/14 05:09 PM

Another statute against marriage equality bites the dust. Arkansas statute struck down

Re: Dominoes - 05/09/14 05:19 PM

They were talking about LGBT issues on a "panel" on some talk show just now on Japanese TV (the Japanese are still a bit behind on all this, but making efforts). My son (who I have tried to raise to have an open mind on things*) was also watching and he asked, "If it's legal for the same sex to get married in some places, would there be an issue with marrying a relative like your cousin or even your sister if the the genetic issue doesn't come into it?" "Good question" I answered. Pretty good question for a 14 year old in a culture that really has yet to address gay issues, I thought.

What's the answer to this question? Yes, as long as long as two sister don't use their brother as a surrogate father? No, because it's just wrong? Haven't thought about it much yet.

*Except for cats vs. dogs. Dogs druel, cats rule. It's a fact.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Dominoes - 05/09/14 07:00 PM

Interesting. On the same thinking, wouldn't it be legal for a 55 year old man to marry his 48 year old sister if she was past child bearing age? ( not interested in any silly Arkansas jokes)

I say why not.

Glad to have laws that give folks more freedom instead of all the freedom restricting laws we generally have

Dave
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Dominoes - 05/09/14 09:20 PM

I am from the old school a man should marry a woman.

Re: Dominoes - 05/09/14 11:46 PM

"I am from the old school a man should marry a woman."

..to make an honest woman out of her?

Re: Dominoes - 05/09/14 11:47 PM

Mr. B, I am of the same thinking. That's my gut feeling anyway, unless someone explains to me a sticky wicket this opens up.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Dominoes - 05/10/14 03:14 AM

Quote:
I am from the old school
And you flunked.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Dominoes - 05/10/14 05:01 AM

Hey if its between 2 consenting adults - WHY NOT ??

The "right" likes to treat teens as adults when it comes to crime - 14, 15, 16 yr olds tried as an adult. BUT when it comes to social issues- drinking, marriage, legal stuff… ah they gotta be 18 or 21 !!
WHAT a fabricated bunch of BS !!

I say let anyone "marry" who wants to - doesn't impact anyone else !!
What the matter with a man marrying another man to make an honest man out of him ? laugh
(or woman in the blanks)

Re: Dominoes - 05/10/14 03:19 PM

Here's the ever changing map of the dominoes.

I tried to make it appear below, but only managed a link.

map of changing map
Posted by: zwei

Re: Dominoes - 05/11/14 10:17 PM

Have you seen the new argument they are whipping up in KY? Wrap your head around this for a sec...

Link-o

Re: Dominoes - 05/12/14 03:02 AM

*sigh* crazy

Re: Dominoes - 05/12/14 03:42 AM

This blurb sums up Zwei's link "Appealing a federal judge's decision that the state's ban on recognizing gay marriages violates the constitutional guarantee of equal protection under the law, Beshear's hired counsel say Kentucky has a legitimate interest in encouraging procreation to support "long-term economic stability through stable birth rates."

So even if there were a shred of sincerity about this line of argument, it still raises the question of why allow birth control, or older people to get married, or infertile people who can't afford fertility treatments?

Re: Dominoes - 05/12/14 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
This blurb sums up Zwei's link "Appealing a federal judge's decision that the state's ban on recognizing gay marriages violates the constitutional guarantee of equal protection under the law, Beshear's hired counsel say Kentucky has a legitimate interest in encouraging procreation to support "long-term economic stability through stable birth rates."

So even if there were a shred of sincerity about this line of argument, it still raises the question of why allow birth control, or older people to get married, or infertile people who can't afford fertility treatments?

Or welfare moms to have more kids tongue
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Dominoes - 05/12/14 06:03 AM

why allow birth control, or older people to get married, or infertile people who can't afford fertility treatments?

Oh oh . . . I hear a new social agenda from the wing nuts. No marriage without children! Because this is a child-loving nation.

Re: Dominoes - 05/12/14 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
why allow birth control, or older people to get married, or infertile people who can't afford fertility treatments?

Oh oh . . . I hear a new social agenda from the wing nuts. No marriage without children! Because this is a child-loving nation.

Isn't that the old Catholic doctrine ?? tongue

Re: Dominoes - 05/12/14 06:24 AM

Posted by: zwei

Re: Dominoes - 05/12/14 06:45 AM

In that case, pregnancy should be a prerequisite ...right? grin

Re: Dominoes - 05/12/14 12:09 PM

How abou children without marriage . Wouldn't that be even better. More kids and fewer couples

Dave

Re: Dominoes - 05/12/14 12:17 PM

Now you're tempting me to quote The Tempest, MrB.

SEBASTIAN
No marrying 'mong his subjects?
ANTONIO
None, man; all idle: whores and knaves.

Re: Dominoes - 05/14/14 05:06 AM

And now it's official in Idaho. Idaho. You can't get much more conservative. And this is following Arkansas. Glad to know there is some good news out there.

Re: Dominoes - 05/14/14 07:29 AM

These decisions are going to be taken to the SCOTUS sooner rather than later. And I'm afraid that Scalia and his cronies are going to shoot 'em all down. Hope I'm wrong.

Re: Dominoes - 05/14/14 07:42 AM

Although I find this funny.

Re: Dominoes - 05/19/14 01:12 PM

And now Oregon. I was actually surprised Oregon had such a ban in the first place as it has a reputation for being a libertarian, you can go your own way, place.

Re: Dominoes - 05/19/14 01:14 PM

I do realize there have been some setbacks in Idaho and in other places, but I think they are just temporary blips.

Re: Dominoes - 05/22/14 07:55 AM

Pardon my musing, but… I think it's time to replace or simply eliminate the term "straight" as shorthand for heterosexual. Straight usually having a positive connotation implies that not straight is not positive. I have no idea of what to replace it with — maybe "oppo", as in attracted to the opposite sex — but I just think it's time to rethink how we articulate some of these characteristics.

Re: Dominoes - 05/22/14 08:46 AM

Well the obvious contrary to "gay" is . . . "serious"? "sour"? "dour"?

Re: Dominoes - 05/22/14 10:20 AM

Interesting how the choice of words we use can convey so many feelings.

If you are not "straight" are you then "crooked" ? That's not good
How about " angular". Again not what we want.

Apple used the word "different" . Does that mean "queer"?. Definitely not what we want.

I've never liked the term "gay" as it also has a more traditional connotation. As in the "Gay 90's" which refereed, first to the 1890's but then the 1990's could be called that also but in the new connotation .

I say, Steve, that you come up with a couple of words that will work for each of the groups.

I think it's needed

Dave

Re: Dominoes - 05/22/14 01:45 PM

I always thought straight sounded just about right but I know what you mean.

Re: Dominoes - 05/22/14 01:46 PM

I think gay is good, a real attempt to take the stigma out of a word to describe homosexuality - well I don't know how consciously, but it largely achieved that.

Re: Dominoes - 05/22/14 01:48 PM

Steve, how about unLuGuBiTs? un LGBTs? I think it's kind of catchy, though oppos has its charm. Sorry for all the posts, in a hurry before work.

Re: Dominoes - 05/22/14 02:01 PM

I'VE GOT IT!!!

Let's drop the "homo" and the "hetero" and the "bi" and the "trans" and just call everybody SAPIENS!

Side benefit: Snotty kids that use Gay as a negative descriptor will be left speechless! grin
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Dominoes - 05/22/14 05:55 PM

straight (adj.2)
"conventional," especially "heterosexual," 1941, a secondary sense evolved from straight (adj.1), probably suggested by straight and narrow path "course of conventional morality and law-abiding behavior," which is based on a misreading of Matt. vii:14 (where the gate is actually strait), and the other influence seems to be from strait-laced.

http://www.etymonline.com/

Re: Dominoes - 05/22/14 06:30 PM

Breaking the theme of the OP is the pronunciation of the Indian girl who accompanied Lewis and Clark

Sacagawea
also Sacajawea, name of the Shoshoni woman who accompanied the Lewis & Clark expedition.
She had been a captive among the Hidatsas (a Siouan people), and her Hidatsa name was tsaka'aka wi'a, lit. 'bird woman' (Hartley, 2002). Her Shoshoni name, rendered as Sacajawea and translated 'boat launcher,' may have been a folk-etymological transformation of the Hidatsa term (Shaul, 1972). [Bright]
Her image appeared on U.S. dollar coins from 2000.

Rather enforces the way I've been pronouncing her name by pronouncing the "J". As in Spanish. With accent on the "ca"
Dave

I
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Dominoes - 05/22/14 11:13 PM

Sorry for all the posts, in a hurry before work.
LOL. Never know when creativity will hit. In the old days we called it post padding. grin

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 12:53 AM

If I was going to take post padding seriously I'd better get started. I've been coming here in an off for 9 years now and still come out quite low in posts compared to other regulars, even ones who started new accounts after I came. I have noticed though that I am now on the first page of the User list here which is an, erm, accomplishment of sorts I guess.

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 12:54 AM

My deal is I rattle off something and then I think of something else to add and in some cases I am just too lazy to click Edit. This post is a perfect example.

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 03:47 AM

I Googled the origins of both terms (Gay and Straight). All over the map, but their current social connotations seem to have been adopted many decades ago.

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 03:48 AM

And so very germane to the topic of this thread.

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 03:50 AM

Oh the sh¡t storms that used to provoke! eek

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 05:34 AM

?

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 05:35 AM

laugh

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 08:17 AM

Awright--no one, but no one is going to beat my high mark for post padding.

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 08:17 AM

I said no one!

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 08:18 AM

And I hope I'm clear on that.

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 08:32 AM

Yes...

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 08:32 AM

You

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 08:33 AM

are

extremely

clear

on

that

point!

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 08:48 AM

Finally!

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 08:48 AM

Understading!

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 08:49 AM

Hate to be misunderstood.

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 08:49 AM

Hate it!

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 08:56 AM

Okay, stop it, already

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Okay, stop it, already
Don't you mean;

Okay

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 09:25 AM

stop

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 09:26 AM

it

already.

grin
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 09:28 AM

Oh, you guys! cool

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 10:34 AM

Lost Weekend 2.0! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGHHHHHHH!!!!! eek

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 12:13 PM

Steve Steve Steve. This is how you do it.

A

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 12:13 PM

A

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 12:14 PM

A

You get the picture?

laugh

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 01:15 PM

It's a perfect

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 01:15 PM

name for

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 01:16 PM

this thread

Dominoes.

Don't you think?

Re: Dominoes - 05/23/14 01:17 PM

I was going to do each word one by one, but I thought that might be a bit over the top.

Re: Dominoes - 07/05/14 03:05 AM

I may be repeating myself slightly but it is quite amazing how quickly the red states are disappearing from the map below. Pretty much daily lately. Okay, so many of them are entering the "stayed" stage, but that's better than red.

Can't get the image to appear, maybe cuz it's .svg, whatever that means.

map

Re: Dominoes - 07/05/14 06:35 AM

I get the map no problem.

I noticed that the map includes the US Pacific possessions, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgins (all of them under 18, presumably). I wonder how those places work in regards to the Constitution and the SCOTUS. I should know, I guess, but I don't.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Dominoes - 07/05/14 10:08 AM

fyi
screen-grab, rehost, img link

you're welcome

Re: Dominoes - 07/05/14 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Interesting how the choice of words we use can convey so many feelings.
<snippet>
If you are not "straight" are you then "crooked" ? That's not good
How about " angular". Again not what we want.
</snippet>
Dave

I was watching "Dragon Slayer" this morning, and
they used a line that made me spit out my coffee:

Knight to King: "Sire! The peasants are revolting!" cry
King's reply: "The peasants have ALWAYS been 'revolting'!" smirk
Knight to King: "I agree, ...but now they're also rebelling!" shocked

lol no wonder yoyo52 is in love with language! laugh

Re: Dominoes - 07/05/14 01:35 PM

That map also got me thinking about those US holdings and their relationship to the Constitution etc. I assume it's different in many respects as, for the most obvious example, adult Puerto Ricans can't vote in national elections.

Re: Dominoes - 07/05/14 01:44 PM

Thanks for making the img work for me Cel. If you rehosted it, it is now "frozen" in time, as opposed to the everchanging map on Wiki. But I'll just "let it go".

Are we talking about the same Dragonslayer? That was another movie I saw way too many times in my younger years, starring Peter MacNicol of later Ally McBeal fame.

Re: Dominoes - 07/05/14 01:57 PM

Puerto Ricans on the island can't vote in federal elections, but if they move to the mainland they can.

And yes--language is a hoot, Cel. smile

Re: Dominoes - 07/05/14 02:16 PM

Though I had never thought about this, yes, I did assume Puerto Ricans could vote on moving to the mainland. I should be more clear in my language.

Re: Dominoes - 07/05/14 06:34 PM

Thanks for making the img work for me Cel. If you rehosted it, it is now "frozen" in time, as opposed to the everchanging map on Wiki. But I'll just "let it go".

Are we talking about the same Dragonslayer? That was another movie I saw way too many times in my younger years, starring Peter MacNicol of later Ally McBeal fame.

You're Right! blush I'm Wrong!

The movie I'd been watch this AM was "Dragon Heart"
with Sean Connery doing the voice of the dragon.

Re: Dominoes - 07/05/14 11:51 PM

I've seen that one too but only once.

Re: Dominoes - 07/06/14 05:20 AM

lol...right?

Did that one REALLY Need a "Dragon Heart II"

(I watched DH1 again just for Sean Connery's buttery voice)

yes, guyze, he still makes the ladies melt like fine chocolate

Re: Dominoes - 07/06/14 08:28 AM

The voting thing is legal silliness in all-caps, I think. I mean, what does the geographical change from island to mainland do to a person, anyways? I've talked to Puerto Ricans about their status, and I still can't figure out why they want to stay in this limbo between independence and colony. The only thing I can figure is that on the island they don't pay federal income tax if all of their income is earned on the island. Otherwise . . . ???

Re: Dominoes - 07/06/14 01:49 PM

I've heard PR inches and inches towards full membership, but there is always another hurdle. The Pubs aren't thrilled either way as it is quite populous for it's size and would come in firmly on the blue side.

Re: Dominoes - 07/09/14 01:18 PM

I take it back, apparently Puerto Rico is more of a mixed bag and would probably be a Red state, or at least red tinged purple. I am sure I read an article that said the opposite but there you have it. I guess as PR is an "hispanic" population, one might think they are left leaning. But they have been part of the US for a heck of a long time, so I guess hot button issues like immigration don't get as much pull, while a natural Catholic conservatism does come through - sanctity of heterosexual marriage, sanctity of unborn life etc.

Re: Dominoes - 07/09/14 02:03 PM

On social issues most Hispanics lean pretty far to the right.

Re: Dominoes - 07/18/14 02:32 PM

And another one's gone and another one's gone another one...

[url=The decision adds nothing on the merits to the earlier Utah decision. The litigation is notable mainly because it was filed ten years ago, making it the oldest active same-sex marriage litigation in the country.]Oklahoma ban struck down[/url]

"The litigation is notable mainly because it was filed ten years ago, making it the oldest active same-sex marriage litigation in the country."
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Dominoes - 07/28/14 10:52 AM

And now Virginia(!)

Re: Dominoes - 07/28/14 07:53 PM

States that allow same sex marriage - in other words do not have some statute against it or where it's not in legal limbo pending appeal - are now around half of all states. The momentum builds.

Wish I could say the same for the ACA. Easy for me to say, living over here on completely unrelated insurance but..

Re: Dominoes - 07/28/14 08:22 PM

I'm waiting for the Supremes to sing their song about all this. It's bound to come sooner rather than later, and I'm afraid their tune might be a little discordant.

Re: Dominoes - 07/29/14 01:13 AM

Um, which one? Stop in the name of love? At first I thought of this song, Dominoes, but that ain't the Supremes.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Dominoes - 07/29/14 04:02 AM

People complain about the ACA but here where I live if you have no insurance or money when you are sick you DIE!

Re: Dominoes - 07/29/14 05:03 AM

I have done my share of traveling in SE Asian countries and the guide books for several of them say, insurance or no, do your very best not to get sick or have a serious accident, because to get adequate care you will have to be airlifted out. A sad state of affairs for the people who actually live there.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Dominoes - 10/06/14 08:13 AM

"The decision will likely expand same-sex marriages to other states covered by the federal appeals courts that already have ruled that the bans are unconstitutional, including Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. That would bring to 30 the number of states where gays can marry."

Re: Dominoes - 10/06/14 07:51 PM

I missed this piece of news, though I had heard about the smaller victory of Missouri being in the process of reversing the ban. I never saw this coming with the resurgence in church membership and bans on gay marriage that came into place in the last several years. Glad to see the pendulum swinging hard the other way.

Re: Dominoes - 10/11/14 03:02 AM

According to the same sex marriage US state map that I check every few days, the number of states that still have legislation unequivocally banning same sex marriage and that are in no immediate danger of the ban being overturned are down to eight.

Eight.

That is something.

here

Re: Dominoes - 10/11/14 09:20 AM

I have a few lesbian couples as close friends
who have been in long term loving relationships.
They are joint home/property-owners..and being
close to my age.. having no dependent families
or children from past relationships to speak of.

I would LOVE to see them granted legal marital
status, with all the trimmings... such as legal
ownership/inheritance rights, family visitation
and right to make end-of-life decisions should
God-forbid a tragedy befalls one of them.

It would be tragic to lose EVERYTHING a couple
works for for years at the worst possible time.

If 'sin' is a valid argument.. then THAT would
be what I'd consider the worst possible "SIN".

Re: Dominoes - 10/13/14 04:24 AM

I remember seeing some line of reasoning somewhere that went like the argument that you linked. The counter argument could of course be that you shouldn't let heterosexuals where one or both partners is sterile get married either. Though I wouldn't put it past some right wingers would see this as acceptable.

Re: Dominoes - 11/05/14 02:03 PM

And Kansas is the latest domino. I'd give a link but it reads the same as most "district judge rules unconstitutional, puts stay pending appeal". I am amazed how quickly US sentiment changed.

Re: Dominoes - 11/26/14 12:04 AM

Arkansas and Missouri, from Fox News too.

Re: Dominoes - 11/27/14 06:21 AM

Not wanting to "Start Any Shyte"...

...but I thought you might take an interest
in a scientific study(for whatever that's worth)
...concerning the on-going quest for the gay gene:

Largest study of gay brothers homes in on 'gay genes'

Re: Dominoes - 12/20/14 12:03 AM

Supreme court chose the right course and no more blocks for Florida to start issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples after the stay ends on midnight January 5th. Yay.

read it and weep