Stand Your Ground!

Posted by: MacBozo

Stand Your Ground! - 01/14/14 07:40 AM

Here we go again!

Since when is popcorn a lethal weapon? crazy
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/14/14 08:17 AM

Do you know how hard some of those kernels are???

Ridiculous. People are so out of control. AND here is another idiot loose with a gun.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/14/14 10:17 AM

The New York Times reported that this "underscored the increased debate about when to use smartphones in public."

Yes, guns are not the debate, it's smartphones.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/14/14 02:15 PM

Yeah those really hurt in your gums!! About a level 9!!

tongue

Idiot withs weapons! Hope the judge doesn't buy that BS !!

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/14/14 02:38 PM

He has been charged with 2nd degree homicide and is being held without bail.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/14/14 02:42 PM

Not to worry. We're all safe from gun violence. Except . . .

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/14/14 02:44 PM

grin

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/14/14 02:51 PM

I would have absolutely no problem with someone texting in the theater if the phone's sound was silenced. That is the crux of the no cell phone use requests (they are not laws). If it is silenced and you are not carrying on a conversation, go for it.

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/14/14 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Not to worry. We're all safe from gun violence. Except . . .

LOL.. except it isn't funny.

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/14/14 06:40 PM

You know the hypocrisy and stupidity of this is, WHERE is the only place you CAN'T carry a gun ?

a courthouse !! NRA wants you to be able to carry them everywhere- bars, churches , schools, malls, EVERYWHERE !!

BUT you CAN'T under ANY circumstances carry them into a courtroom... WTF NOT ?? Judges don't want people armed to protect them ? whistle I mean by their logic (or illogic) them more ARMED - the SAFER you are !! so why don't the Judges and Lawyers get on board !!?? whistle
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/14/14 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I would have absolutely no problem with someone texting in the theater if the phone's sound was silenced. That is the crux of the no cell phone use requests (they are not laws). If it is silenced and you are not carrying on a conversation, go for it.

[siderail]

Except that in a dark theater, those screens can be *bright* and terribly distracting. I see the no cell phone rule as being essentially equal parts no-talk / no-flashlight … and thank goodness!

[/siderail]

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/15/14 05:57 AM

Not directed at any specific response, but #1 it was during the previews, not the movie.
And #2, is even if it was during the movie is texting worth taking somebody's life?
Has Life become that cheap ? frown
Posted by: steveg

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/15/14 06:46 AM

The solution is obvious: Background checks and a 10-day waiting period to purchase popcorn. 15 days if it's buttered. smirk

Yeah… Funny. In a very sad way.

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/15/14 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
The solution is obvious: Background checks and a 10-day waiting period to purchase popcorn. 15 days if it's buttered. smirk

Yeah… Funny. In a very sad way.

and 20 Days if it's the Jumbo refillable container !! smirk
but . . but .. . but . . Popcorn doesn't kill people, people kill people ! tongue

yeah it's pathetically sad !!
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/15/14 03:19 PM

I have to admit to a bit of prejudice. Until I finally saw him on this morning's news, I couldn't help but think the victim must be a black guy. I suppose that is prejudice against both the shooter and the victim.

Maybe someone brought this up above, but what gets me is what is the big deal with people texting in the theatre, and it was the previews! Talking loudly to your friend or throwing popcorn at the back of his head is way worse than that.

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/15/14 03:26 PM

Not his first time acting all pissy about phones in a theatre...

Quote:
A few weeks before a texting dispute turned deadly inside a Florida theater, suspect Curtis Reeves had another run-in with a moviegoer, prosecutors said.
During Reeves' first court appearance on Tuesday, prosecutors said they had heard from another theater patron who said the 71-year-old former Tampa cop saw her texting and "glared at her the entire time throughout the movie" during a screening about three weeks ago.
When the woman got up to use the restroom, Reeves followed her and "made her very uncomfortable," prosecutors said.
CNN affiliate WTSP later identified the woman as Jamira Dixon of Wesley Chapel, the Tampa suburb where Monday's shooting took place.
Shooter charged with second degree murder Atty: Shooter had previous text incident Heroes step up at movie theater shooting Man killed in theater over texting
"He became just upset about the whole situation and kept staring and kept giving us dirty looks," Dixon told the station.
Dixon said she first heard about Monday's shooting on the radio while she was driving.
"I had to pull over the car because ... it could have been us," she said. "It was just so close to home. It really makes you think how things could have went."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/15/justice/florida-movie-theater-shooting/
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/15/14 04:44 PM

I heard about that. Which is ruder and more distracting, texting during a movie or shooting someone in the chest? Yeesh.

Is the the lit up screen distracting or something? I rarely go to movies these days and I usually sit quite near the front, so maybe I've never noticed - or Japanese people are too polite, which is a distinct possibility.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/15/14 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
You know the hypocrisy and stupidity of this is, WHERE is the only place you CAN'T carry a gun ?

a courthouse !! NRA wants you to be able to carry them everywhere- bars, churches , schools, malls, EVERYWHERE !!

BUT you CAN'T under ANY circumstances carry them into a courtroom... WTF NOT ?? Judges don't want people armed to protect them ? whistle I mean by their logic (or illogic) them more ARMED - the SAFER you are !! so why don't the Judges and Lawyers get on board !!?? whistle

Actually, courtrooms are rather well protected by guns. But it's by those are in authority to do so. Bailiffs etc. also, many judges carry

Dave

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/15/14 08:31 PM

This episode of the woman coming forward seems fishy to me the way it was brought forth. Kinda like, yeah, that happened to me too.

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/15/14 08:37 PM

In my opinion, in great majority of schools, the kids are quite safe. Kinda like it is with airplane travel. Over 80 million children go to school every day but school school shootings are relatively rare. In comparison.

Same with theaters . For that matter.

Dave

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/15/14 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
I have to admit to a bit of prejudice. Until I finally saw him on this morning's news, I couldn't help but think the victim must be a black guy. I suppose that is prejudice against both the shooter and the victim.

Maybe someone brought this up above, but what gets me is what is the big deal with people texting in the theatre, and it was the previews! Talking loudly to your friend or throwing popcorn at the back of his head is way worse than that.

Agree on all accounts.

Also, this situation took a while to escalate to the shooting . Lots of words were said. Where were the theaters proctors during this exchange of loud words and popcorn throwing.

Also exactly how much popcorn was thrown?

Dave

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 02:38 AM

Quote:
Also exactly how much popcorn was thrown?
Seriously, Dave?

In that case, I've got a POV for you that is just as relevant. No charge.

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 03:27 AM

So, should we expect a future rash of shootings on the MTA? smirk

The only one who can stop a straphanger with a phone is a straphanger with a gun! crazy

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
This episode of the woman coming forward seems fishy to me the way it was brought forth. Kinda like, yeah, that happened to me too.

Maybe Dave. Although it says she was there with her husband and kids, so maybe there was others that helped identify them.

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 05:13 AM

But the NRA philosophy / theory is " the more that carry the safer it is"... so why don't they let everyone carry there. The answer is obvious, but they can't admit it because it would negate their theory !! That's classic hypocrisy. crazy

Point #2- WHY does everyone now think things have to be settled with guns! 30 years ago it would have been a fistfight... disturbance but everyone walks away. Maybe someone gets charged with "Disturbing the Peace". Today - it guns.. Someone DIES !!! WTF happened? mad Why do so many think they have to respond with a gun !?? crazy crazy Are they that F-ing lazy or inept ?? or stupid ?

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 05:22 AM

Man, where is your sense of free enterprise and capitalism. Fistfights are just not profitable. The margin on a bandaid simply can't compare to that of a Glock or a box of 9mm hollow points. Or the .380's this stupid, angry old man was using. crazy

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 07:44 AM

So, the plan is to make this guy the victim rather than the perp? crazy

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 07:51 AM

And declare a holiday in his name. Plus theater snack bars should start selling ammo!

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 07:55 AM

They already do! That sh!t will kill you! laugh

Seriously! What caliber would you like your popcorn to be this evening? crazy

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 09:09 AM

For starters, they'll have to start calling it pop-a-cap-corn. eek

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 09:30 AM

Youse so BAD !! laugh

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 10:33 AM

Just before the previews start at my local Cinemark theater, "Please silence your cell phones now" is flashed on the screen. They'll have to change that to "Please silence your handguns now." Which ought to play well here since a recent edition of the Dayton Daily News featured a lead story on the big spike in silencer sales.

Dis f'n town... sick
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 11:51 AM

I thought silencers were illegal.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
I thought silencers were illegal.

Legal in 40 states -- and highly regulated (for now).

2012 Salon article on silencers and the move to deregulate them. You know, for the kids!

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 12:28 PM

Depends on the state, and in D'OHio they have to be registered. I'm not linking to the article because you need a paid subscription to read it. Hearing protection and hunting are cited as reasons for their sudden popularity. Some "experts" even say they improve accuracy.

If the article were a deli counter, they'd be having sale on baloney. smirk
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 01:14 PM

Sigh…

I hope Amazon has them on sale… cry crazy

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 04:55 PM

YES–– Please "silence" your guns so as not to disturb the audience if you shoot someone during the movie! After all, the rest of us paid for a ticket and don't deserve to be disturbed !! crazy

Fscking morons !! tongue

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/16/14 05:57 PM

Tit's clear to me thais is why there are the side doors down by the stage. You're s'posed to haul them outside and popcorn a cap in der ass outside!

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/17/14 03:26 AM

I'll tell ya what's wrong with 'Mericans. Not enough 'magination. No on-tree-pen-urinal spirit. Not 'telligent 'nuff t'see the real opportooniteez! tongue

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/17/14 04:34 AM

Instead of a phablet... we get a Phone-stol.

Or... iPistol.

Re: Stand Your Ground! - 01/17/14 04:53 AM

Put down that popcorn or iShoot! eek