after about 20 minutes of sheer frustration
I was about to give up.. when it occurred to me
what was happening was TOO MANY PEOPLE LOGGED ON
AT THE SAME TIME! Bolloxed Up the Works! frown

Then what happened to the ACA Sites FINALLY
Made Sense

This "TRAIN-WRECK" that the jaggovz are whinging about
is because it was "A DISASTER" but rather
IT WAS A SUCCESS! TOO MANY PEOPLE INTERESTED!!!

No wonder they're busting a gut to convince
the rubes that it's No Good!

They're scared spitless that it's going to work.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 11/30/13 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Celandine

Then what happened to the ACA Sites FINALLY
Made Sense

This "TRAIN-WRECK" that the jaggovz are whinging about
is because it was "A DISASTER" but rather
IT WAS A SUCCESS! TOO MANY PEOPLE INTERESTED!!!
That's no excuse though. It should have worked. It's been 2 months. They gave it to the lowest bidder probably. They should have called in the A team from day 1, when they first designed it.

Very bad PR.

One day on ebay for Black Friday is not a comparison. Also your 10+ Y.O. computer has been having problems, may be related to current problems?
Posted by: MrB

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 12/01/13 03:42 AM

My thoughts on this gave been, just because the websites might have been on the fritz should deflect from the purpose of the ACA itself

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 12/01/13 07:31 AM

Not sure if it's FAIR to compare the healthcare.gov to Yahoo, Amazon or eBay.

1. They've been in existence for 20 years, the ACA website < 2 (took time to create it).

2. They grew from small to large, the ACA site needed to be large from the get go.

3. They also had some problems early on, we just forgot about them (>20 years).

4. They had deep pockets, the ACA was dependent upon limited funding AND they are required to get the cheapest service possible.

5. They didn't have active opposition to make it fail, the ACA site DID !

Seems like apples and oranges to me !
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 12/01/13 07:36 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Not sure if it's FAIR to compare the healthcare.gov to Yahoo, Amazon or eBay.

1. They've been in existence for 20 years, the ACA website < 2 (took time to create it).

2. They grew from small to large, the ACA site needed to be large from the get go.

3. They also had some problems early on, we just forgot about them (>20 years).

4. They had deep pockets, the ACA was dependent upon limited funding AND they are required to get the cheapest service possible.

5. They didn't have active opposition to make it fail, the ACA site DID !

Seems like apples and oranges to me !

+1
All good points.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 12/01/13 07:50 AM

Quote:
That's no excuse though. It should have worked.

What is an example of a website of similar scale and complexity - meant to handle millions of unique visits per day; with a back-end working seamlessly with dozens of diverse government systems as well as those of dozens more private corporations; while presenting to the user a relatively simple, easy-to-use, and efficient interface -- that actually "worked," fully-formed and scaled, straight out of the gate from day one?

I'm hard-pressed to think of any site of similar size and complexity (eBay? YouTube? Twitter? Are there any?) that didn't first grow from fairly modest origins over a period of months/years.

A PR boondoggle for sure. But I'm wondering from a nuts-and-bolts perspective if expectations for this roll-out weren't a wee bit unreasonable ...

Quote:
One day on ebay for Black Friday is not a comparison.

Why not? Seems to me sites like eBay are the only real comparisons we have. And if even a mature and smoothly-operating site like eBay can still be brought to it's knees on Black Friday, why does that not compare to an arguably more complex and massive site for which every day is Black Friday?
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 12/01/13 07:56 AM

besides which
I didn't have Sarah Bachmann & Rush Beck
harranging about what A Total PoS eBay is
Posted by: steveg

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 12/01/13 08:55 AM

Any site can be overwhelmed, given the right circumstances. But to your point regarding expectations, it's pretty obvious there wasn't nearly enough beta testing prior to go live, which led to zero management of said expectations. This was an avoidable screw-up on a large scale. That said, give it another 60 days of improving performance and growing enrollment, and to the great disappointment of the right most peeps will find themselves focused more on their new benefits and improved healthcare than on 404's.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 12/01/13 09:26 AM

Quote:
it's pretty obvious there wasn't nearly enough beta testing prior to go live, which led to zero management of said expectations.

How does one even beta test something like this without actually having millions (or hundreds of thousands) of people actually stress the site? Sure that volume and interaction can be predicted and to some extent even simulated, but even those models get it wrong a lot of the time. To that extent nothing is going to really compare to actual live use ...

You're right that the rollout horribly managed (or rather, didn't manage at all) expectations for the site. It probably would have been better to just say "it's going to be a rocky start, folks -- things this big tend to be that way. But it'll get worked-out after a month or two." The Republicans would still have hammered it, but at least that would have been better than just letting everyone find out for themselves.

That having been said, I'm not sure how fair it is at this date to still say "it should have just worked" when history and logic would dictate something of this size and complexity would have tremendous issues when going live ...
Posted by: DLC

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 12/01/13 03:29 PM

What will they whine about after it's working 100% ??

OH we know there'll be something !! Syria, Iran, N Korea, China, Benghazi ... oh wait that was a false story !! blush

laugh

If we're lucky, maybe they'll just focus on the Pope !! whistle
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 12/02/13 01:06 PM

Apple on the roll out of iOS7 comes to mind.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 12/03/13 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo

I was thinking of that also.

Dave
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Well, that explains a lot.. - 12/03/13 10:34 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo

Woodstock was another...
...it was originally A PAID CONCERT...
...and the Backers were supposed to have walked off
with a BUTT-LOAD of CASH!