Obamacare "victims?"

Posted by: MacBozo

Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 11:09 AM

Have you seen the retractions by some of those so called "victims" once they actually learn about their options in the ACA? grin
Posted by: DLC

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 11:20 AM

NO, not yet, care to post some, Sherlock ? smirk

wink

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 11:36 AM

The most "famous" one

A broader debunking

Another
Posted by: steveg

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 01:12 PM

The site launch screw-ups are, IMHO, inexcusable — though we're learning that House Repugnicans found ways to choke off dollars that was intended for development.

But what was even a bigger mistake was the messaging around the "keep what you like" promise. Just as any other marketer of medical or pharmaceutical products, Obama and all of his messengers should have stated a clear disclaimer explaining how policies that don't meet the new criteria would be replaced with better products that could cost the same or less depending upon one's subsidy eligibility.

Even though it's an acceptable response to the unfortunate outcry from the misinformed, it would have been more effective stated up front instead of after the sh¡t hit the fan.

The GOP deserves credit (not in a good way) for doing a workmanlike job of fouling the story.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
But what was even a bigger mistake was the messaging around the "keep what you like" promise. Just as any other marketer of medical or pharmaceutical products, Obama and all of his messengers should have stated a clear disclaimer explaining how policies that don't meet the new criteria would be replaced with better products that could cost the same or less depending upon one's subsidy eligibility.

It's a strong media talking point pushed by the right that's working against the ACA in a big way. Likewise, it's the media arguing on the side of the insurance corporations, because they can be trusted much more than the President. <bleh>

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57610109/obama-stands-by-promise-that-you-can-keep-your-plan/

Quote:
If you had one of these substandard plans before the Affordable Care Act became law, and you liked that plan, you were able to keep it," the president said in Boston

Quote:
Now that the new Obamacare insurance marketplaces are opening, at least 2 million people are getting notices in the mail informing them that they can no longer keep their existing plans. Plans are being canceled if they fail to meet the health care law's 10 minimum standards, including maternity care, emergency visits, mental health treatment and even pediatric dental care.

The dropped plans seemingly violate Mr. Obama's 2009 campaign pledge that, "If you have insurance that you like, then you will be able to keep that insurance."

The president said Wednesday that the notices sent to consumers suggest that they're losing their coverage "somehow because of the Affordable Care Act." He argued, however, that consumers only lost coverage if insurers altered those policies at all after the law took effect. In that case, Mr. Obama said, insurers had to "replace them with quality, comprehensive coverage."

Posted by: lanovami

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 02:56 PM

How much harm can the disinformation do? If everyone must have insurance by April or whenever, I would think most people are going to at least explore their options before paying a fine. I am trying to be optimistic.

Of course I am on another country's social health insurance. All the more reason I want this little step into universal health care to last.

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 02:58 PM

How much more harm can the GOP/TP Congress do?

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 03:04 PM

Fake outrage has it's use. I used to actual get angry when students blatantly shirk responsibility, due dates, class room manners... now it's just another day at the office, so I draw on my inner Pub and act (managed) outrage and I usually get results.

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 03:11 PM

In this situation, ACA fake outrage may likely once again, coming in February, shut down the government and threaten to default on the country's debt.

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 03:17 PM

Hopefully things are better by then. If they are bad enough, maybe many will think a stand against ACA is justified. My instinct is that they would be shooting themselves in the foot to try such a tactic again in most any situation and I don't think they will.

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
they would be shooting themselves in the foot to try such a tactic again in most any situation and I don't think they will.

"They" being Cruz, Lee, and Paul in the Senate that will enable the House extremists to replay their October victory. They do not see any shooting themselves in the foot, they see only their base strengthening for 2014 midterms. Enabled also by FoxNews cheerleading.

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 04:26 PM

Even though it's an acceptable response to the unfortunate outcry from the misinformed, it would have been more effective stated up front instead of after the sh¡t hit the fan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/health/policy/14health.html

The New York Times June 2010 detailed the exact situation of "grandfathered" health poliicies that would be exempt from the new ACA requirements. You can keep those policies today, only the insurance corporation decides, not the federal government.

The insurance corporations knew then they would have to meet the new ACA regulations. They knew 'junk' policies would be eliminated if they were sold after the date of the ACA becoming law.

The media knew this then and reported it. Obama told them so.
The GOP knew this. The Senate dems and Obama told them so.

Two and a half years later and the media and the GOP feign amnesia. Or brain damage. Or irreversible dickishness (likely covered by Obamacare).

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: garyW
they would be shooting themselves in the foot to try such a tactic again in most any situation and I don't think they will.

"They" being Cruz, Lee, and Paul in the Senate that will enable the House extremists to replay their October victory. They do not see any shooting themselves in the foot, they see only their base strengthening for 2014 midterms. Enabled also by FoxNews cheerleading

I AGREE, they're like suicide terrorists - they don't care if they survive... you can't deal logically with that mindset.. there is NOTHING to leverage against !! crazy Just like that kid that went into LAX, he knew he wasn't coming out, he just want to watch the world burn... that's these idiot bastids' mindset !

Voters need to realize this ASAP !! . . cause it's their world that will get torched too !! ... their economy, retirement, job, family security... the Cruzes, Gohnmert's, etc. don't give a Fck !! mad

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 04:58 PM

Quote:
irreversible dickishness (likely covered by Obamacare)

Yes. It is - no exclusions for preexisting conditions. laugh

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Quote:
irreversible dickishness (likely covered by Obamacare)

Yes. It is - no exclusions for preexisting conditions. laugh

YES thank God and BO they added "Mental health " !! laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 05:53 PM

I would think most people are going to at least explore their options before paying a fine.
It's only $100, and for healthy youth it's no big deal, they're immortal anyway. smirk

Remember?

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 06:01 PM

Only 100 dollars? I had no idea.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 06:09 PM

Only 100 dollars? I had no idea.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepatton/2013/10/28/obamacare-penalties-and-exemptions/

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 06:10 PM

BUT it increases over time !

Problem is they have NO coverage, and if they get sick, have an accident - they're screwed !! I think they need to raise the fine to at least $1000, or 3% of your income which ever is bigger. There has to be a "sting" or they'll just ignore it ! ... and then the rest of us pay for their mistakes !
I thought the GOP touted personal responsibility. crazy

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 06:57 PM

Quote:
I thought the GOP touted personal responsibility.

Only when it applies to other people, never for themselves.

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/06/13 08:12 PM

Thanks for the link Jim. Very clear article. It actually has teeth (which is exactly how the Forbes article described it)
Posted by: steveg

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/07/13 03:04 AM

A: Not everyone on the planet reads the NYTimes — and those that do are, for the most part, already in the choir.

B: The media and low-information peeps have been distracted by one "scandal" after another while everything ACA has been buried under the repeal/defund cacophony.

My point is that the Admin could have and should have done a better job of getting these points out into the mainstream and overcoming the right wing BS. And now, btwn the crappy go-live last month and the missed or forgotten facts about grandfathered policies, they are once again on the defensive.

On the bright side, ObamaCare is, nevertheless, gaining popularity in poll after poll. Go figure (in a good way).

Of course, we're only a month out from then launch and even the media will eventually set aside its demand for instant gratification, the website will be fixed, people will get affordable, decent coverage, and all the noise will die down. Though the far right will continue to whine… Then wimper… Then lose the House… Stomp their feet once more… And finally STFU. grin
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/07/13 12:00 PM

<snip>
all the noise will die down. Though the far right will continue to whine… Then wimper… Then lose the House… Stomp their feet once more… And finally STFU. grin
<snip>

We should all so long... {eyeroll}

...more like;
they'll have picked up on a NEW FISSUE
(portmanteau of Faux & Total BS Issue) whistle
to use as another hurtle for any other
progress they might have overlooked.

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/07/13 12:09 PM

Agreed, the BO administration should have known the TP blow holes would be laying for them and " headed them off at the 'last gasp' pass"!! wink

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/08/13 01:57 PM

President Obama apologizes to Americans who are losing their health insurance
Posted by: Nana

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/08/13 04:02 PM

Which is falling on DEAF ears including mine. It was just announced on our local news that only 4 people in Delaware signed up for OC. laugh

I could give a rats ass about his apology. I want something done about it like YESTERDAY!!!!!! Even though it doesn't affect me, I feel sorry for the people that it does affect. Especially, those who cannot afford it.

Re: Obamacare "victims?" - 11/09/13 04:20 AM

"I could give a rats ass about his apology. I want something done about it like YESTERDAY!!!!!! Even though it doesn't affect me, I feel sorry for the people that it does affect. Especially, those who cannot afford it."

My feelings exactly.