A little something for the Sen. fm KY

Posted by: KateSorensen

A little something for the Sen. fm KY - 10/16/13 07:05 PM

A proposal to end the government shutdown and avoid default orchestrated by Republican Leader Mitch McConnell and Democratic Leader Harry Reid includes a nearly $3 billion earmark for a Kentucky project.

Language in a draft of the McConnell-Reid deal (see page 13, section 123) provided to WFPL News shows a provision that increases funding for the massive Olmsted Dam Lock in Paducah, Ky., from $775 million to nearly $2.9 billion.
-*-*-*-*-

I am not saying the project is one that is vital and needed desperately, but, but, but . . . was it payoff to get McConnell?
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: A little something for the Sen. fm KY - 10/16/13 09:04 PM

Sorry, guess I was kinda harsh in my judgment.

Obama was all for the deal.

Posted by: lanovami

Re: A little something for the Sen. fm KY - 10/16/13 09:24 PM

That's okay Kate. Your discovery certainly made me blink twice, and then you looked into it more and found there was more to the story. And all of it was news to me. That's just being questioning and intellectually honest. Nothing wrong with that.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: A little something for the Sen. fm KY - 10/16/13 09:26 PM

To be honest, I am surprised Congress had it in them to raise the debt ceiling AND end the shutdown. I figured they only had the wherewithal to raise the debt ceiling and the shutdown would have to wait at least another week or so. Way to go effective gov't. crazy
Posted by: DLC

Re: A little something for the Sen. fm KY - 10/17/13 07:57 AM

Well another point... how many times have these rivers flooded? The dam is probably a centerpiece to addressing that problem too ! Not thrilled with it, but it DOES have a purpose and helps to improve our infrastructure - something we've neglected for decades. IF that's what it too so be it- at least it's not a "Bridge to Nowhere!' $3 Billion seems pricey though !