I'm getting nervous.

Posted by: steveg

I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 02:30 AM

Are you?
Posted by: lanovami

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 07:01 AM

The whole is starting to get nervous it would seem.
Posted by: DLC

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 07:14 AM

Well it is getting rediculous ! Saw that interview... and it was scary. Probolem is some Dems now embolden and going after raising spending caps - that's a sure recipe for a train wreck ! I wish each side would withdraw and just go for a clean bill - neither side gets any "candy" they can crow about. Maybe that's what the Dems are doing with the spending limits- to get the GOP to give up on anything to do with Obamacare and medical deveice tax. WTF knows any more ?? mad

IF they do crash the system, there'll be a pox on ALL !!! So BO and the Dems better have a well planned "end game". eek

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 07:42 AM

eek

This is definitively the most emotive smiley we have at our disposal while we wait this one out.

eek
Posted by: garyW

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 07:44 AM

Yep, we saw this weekend the Senate filibuster (by unanimous GOP vote) of the clean debt limit bill and the concurring TeaParty protest at the White House & WW2 Memorial with Confederate flags waving and Sarah Palin, Cruz & Lee leading the crowd in chants of impeaching the President and dragging him from "the people's house" …. we're screwed, buddy.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: garyW
Yep, we saw this weekend the Senate filibuster (by unanimous GOP vote) of the clean debt limit bill and the concurring TeaParty protest at the White House & WW2 Memorial with Confederate flags waving and Sarah Palin, Cruz & Lee leading the crowd in chants of impeaching the President and dragging him from "the people's house" …. we're screwed, buddy.

Sorry, I'm a Texan and a southerner but the Confederate flag has become like an American swastika. No the old South didn't gas people, they just worked them to death for nothing, & let them live in squalor like they were in a CC... not a whole lot better. My HS in Amarillo was the Tascosa Rebels... and we were confederates with "the flag", but now it's been changed to Revolutionary war rebels not old South. In the 1970s I hated the change, but now I'm much more enlightened on the subject and glad they did.

History repeats itself and now we're refighting the "states rights" issues all over again, esp here in TX with Govna Perrier ! (water on the brain) whistle

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg

I'm trying to collect all my monies right now. Every account. To the last dime.

God help us all.
Seriously.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 10:12 AM

I've already had one client go south on me because of the uncertainty — and she owes me some big bucks. And I know others will be putting projects on hold. I have one new client that buys and sells gold, so they're economy-proof. I had a meeting with them this morning and they're actually rooting for a default. I wanted to puke when I heard that.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 10:24 AM

I've already had one client go south on me because of the uncertainty — and she owes me some big bucks. And I know others will be putting projects on hold. I have one new client that buys and sells gold, so they're economy-proof. I had a meeting with them this morning and they're actually rooting for a default. I wanted to puke when I heard that.

2 words - Greedy Bastids !!

American Greed at its worst ! mad

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 11:54 AM

I wish greedy were the worst of it. One of the partners said this morning, "I hope they stay shut down. It's been two weeks and what's the big deal?" Can you say out of touch?

Because of what's in their stores, all managers and employees have to have firearms at the ready. But this one particular dude is off the rails. This is his sideline. Read his blog — you'll wanna barf, too. eek

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 12:30 PM

Quote:
"I hope they stay shut down. It's been two weeks and what's the big deal?"

Well I hope tyhe mighty Salmonella from Foster Farms jumps up and bites his azz !! "Ah we doan need no guvment reg-e-lashuns !!" crazy First time disaster hits, they're the first to whine for "Help!" !!

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 01:24 PM

I wish greedy were the worst of it. One of the partners said this morning, "I hope they stay shut down. It's been two weeks and what's the big deal?" Can you say out of touch?

Because of what's in their stores, all managers and employees have to have firearms at the ready. But this one particular dude is off the rails. This is his sideline. Read his blog — you'll wanna barf, too. eek

Steve, for me this would be serious indicator to drop this client and move on. I have had conservative clients and have been in committee meeting where they will make a political statement or two … maybe my west coast mentallity looks at this midwest militia gun-loving bs and freaks a little … but I would walk, and then choose clients that offer positive attributes to the working relationship. Your talent deserves a better client.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 01:44 PM

Easy for you to say Gary. Will you replace the revenue I'd lose? Didn't think so.

I resigned a Tea Party client last year because he began injecting politics and nasty invective into the business relationship — to the point where it made me very uncomfortable. This is a brand new client who, so far, has not done the same. The comments this morning were part of an offline conversation btwn two others in the room and not meant to draw me into it. As long as this guy doesn't try to shove his POV down my throat, I have no reason to quit the gig — even if I don't agree with his position.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
eek

This is definitively the most emotive smiley we have at our disposal while we wait this one out.

eek

Correction: That's All YOU Have
I still have everything from DISCUSS

Through

...always said
we could use a few more Smilies here.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 04:27 PM

Easy for you to say Gary. Will you replace the revenue I'd lose? Didn't think so.

I resigned a Tea Party client last year because he began injecting politics and nasty invective into the business relationship — to the point where it made me very uncomfortable. This is a brand new client who, so far, has not done the same. The comments this morning were part of an offline conversation btwn two others in the room and not meant to draw me into it. As long as this guy doesn't try to shove his POV down my throat, I have no reason to quit the gig — even if I don't agree with his position.

What can I say? frown

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 04:30 PM

"Easy for you to say Gary. Will you replace the revenue I'd lose? Didn't think so."

That was the thought I had when I saw that too. I don't have clients, but I have co-workers etc that I disagree with ideologically, and you just have to deal with them. That is part of being a member of society. And, even if I did have clients and their business was good I would take them when I could get them, short of them drowning puppies in their free time and the like.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 05:07 PM

Quote:
Steve, for me this would be serious indicator to drop this client and move on. … maybe my west coast mentallity looks at this midwest militia gun-loving bs and freaks a little … but I would walk

whoa guys. Steve and I have very similar careers and self-run creative professions …. and after many conversations over many years I think we also have similar calibre of clientele as well as our professional stature in our respective markets. I live and work in a Southern California resort community and am not ever confronted by the gun-toting Teabag blowhards that can be found in Dayton, Ohio … of which Steve has had one major client that fell into that category. The last one he walked away from, yes? He made a choice to walk then and I believe it was made purely on client attitude based on their personal politics getting in the way of things like respect, politeness, and likability. <bleh> My opinion is that clients that pull you into uncomfortable working relationships make uncomfortable clients. Same goes with clients just becoming jerks, bad with writing checks, or developing conflicts of interest… it happens. In the work that I do, I pick and choose my clients. It's based on fees generated, but equally on the nature of the work and the relationship with the client.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 05:38 PM

Damn. I wish my client base was established enough to be able to pick n choose. As it stands now.. if they get up on a chair and fart in my face...I say TYVM and where's my check.

I almost got into with a client this weekend. His assistant that was helping me on the shoot ( a 70 y.o. guy) was obviously a Democrat and something that was said led me to believe the owner was also. Boy.. was I wrong a couple of comments from him and a couple from me and it got uncomfortable quickly. I shut up and just did my job till we both loosened up a bit.

I guess he didn't like my joke about how for Halloween I was gonna go as Republican ... but I couldn't fit my head up my ass. LOL... I know, I know... I'm my own worst enemy. I got the check today so it's all good.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 05:41 PM

Problem at hand seems to be getting checks tomorrow. I'm getting nervous.

<deja vu 2008>

I think the difference with photography vs. creative director or designers is that our clients (the good $$$ clients) become long-term contracts. Jobs don't come in one project at a time, they're larger campaigns that can last a year …. then reboot and start up again the following season.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 05:48 PM

Ya.. sweating bullets.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/14/13 08:04 PM

ALL -

one good thing about this hiatus is that many moderate or critically thinking conservatives with $ may now fund the moderates running for reelection over TP candidates because they see they're dealing with nitro and its BAD for "bidness" when it unexpectedly "explodes" (present situation). This may neuter the gonads of many TP candidates and return the Party from the brink of Hell to a more sensible and open to compromise entity ! We'll see ! Heard this on one of the political shows.

So Ted might be cruzin for a brusin ! wink

However the TP is like Herpes... once you contract it - you own it for life ! whistle
Boehner: "Please pass the acyclovir please !!"

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/15/13 03:37 AM

Gary, you're wandering all over a field of assumptions and stumbling on loose stones.

Yes, I resigned an account because he had lost the ability to leave his extreme right wing politics out of the conference room. He was, by that time, no longer a major account, so it was less painful for me to show him the door. That's not to say I'd have put up with him if he had a bigger budget. In fact, I made it clear to him that I found his remarks so offensive and out of place that I would feel totally mercenary taking his money (regardless of the size of the check) while being in such complete disagreement with him on a personal level. And that disagreement was manifested 100-fold by him insinuating his doctrine into every business conversation. Had he not done so, he might still be a client today.

In this case, despite a very obvious extreme political POV on the part of one of four partners and a marketing manager, I have yet to be confronted by it. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't have been aware of his ultra-pro-gun stance had I not been referred to his Trigger Time website by a colleague and web developer who told me he had built it (he was one of three web guys who I had sent RFPs for the client's site overhaul).

Thus far, every conversation has been strictly business — and the marketing manager who is my primary point of contact 90% of the time is basically a-political AFAICT. There is no discomfort — only a rejection of one individual's personal POV, and that is not a reason to put a big dent in my cash-flow, thankyouverymuch.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/15/13 04:14 AM

It is pathetic how 2 parties cannot agree on this period.This country should be embarrassed what is happening here.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/15/13 04:50 AM

On what period?

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/15/13 12:18 PM

I don't think there's any doubt that we're screwed. mad
Posted by: MrB

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/15/13 06:09 PM

Sometimes one just has to walk away. You might feel it in the pocketbook but you will feel better about yourself later. A comfortable working relationship it worth something.
Dave

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/15/13 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Sometimes one just has to walk away. You might feel it in the pocketbook but you will feel better about yourself later. A comfortable working relationship it worth something.
Dave

Prolly more on the magnitude of "Drowning Puppies"

but yeah...
sometimes one has to over-ride the pocketbook just to
be able to look at yourself in a mirror every morning.

Ted's machine shop got a multi-million dollar contract
to make the prototypes for the delivery system for
DU Weaponry during the 2nd Gulf War
<-klik 4 story

When I found out about it, I showed him exactly what
they were asking of his Medical Device Machine-Shop
The next morning he explained it to his boss, who
made the decision to pass on the contract.

Someone else "delivered the goods..."
...but at least Ted and his company don't have THIS
type of Karma to deal with for the rest of their lives.

Extreme birth defects in Iraq due to depleted uranium
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/16/13 03:46 AM

I am sure with your know how you know what I mean.It is really sad what is happening to the U.S. now.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/16/13 03:56 AM

Hooboy. Dave, did you read the post you just responded to? There can be disagreement — even revulsion — over an issue without discomfort. If this guy starts interjecting his political POV into business discussions, that's a different story — and one which I've already experienced and reacted to as needed. Or, as you and Gary seem to suggest, should I just fire every client who's politics don't align precisely with my own? Wa wa waaaa... I don't wike you meany mans. Me no wanna work wif bad cwients wike you. Waaa waaaa... cry

Hey, on the upside, if you all each want to replace the lost billing I'd suffer, well hell, I could probably triple my revenue and never do a lick of work! EUREKA! smirk
Posted by: MrB

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/16/13 11:04 AM

Yes I read that post but was responding generally to the discussion here. One always has to weigh in the cost on every deal.

Dave
Posted by: Jim_

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/16/13 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
It is pathetic how 2 parties cannot agree on this period.This country should be embarrassed what is happening here.
You don't get it on this one Jerry. It's one person, Boneher, that is holding the country hostage. If he were to okay the vote to proceed, we would not be having this problem.

One person elected only by his state should not have this much control over the whole country.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/16/13 03:27 PM

Well, don't forget that Boneher is taking his orders from Ted Cruz and Jim DeMint. I just can't credit the Squeaker with that kind of clout. He's just carrying water for the "real" power.

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/16/13 04:18 PM

Jim you are so right... for those with doubts... here's a summary.

The Senate Dems accepted the GOPs budget at $980 Billion, about $25 billion less than theirs.... sent it to the House BEFORE the shutdown. Boehner feared it might pass & would NOT let it come to the floor and in ADDITION, changed the House rules so NO ONE besides himself except Cantor could do call it for a vote. With that House rule, Nancy Pelosi could have called for an up or down vote and it would have passed (90% chance). The GOTP did this in an attempt to hold BO hostage and control the process by forcing us to a shutdown and even debt default IF they didn't get their way.

SO the GOTP OWNS the shutdown lock, stock, and double barrel. In the process, they have shot themselves in the head ! Luckily for ALL of us, cooler, reasonable GOP heads prevailed ! Or as Steve said - we;d all be screwed... economic chaos like that seen in 1979 after the oil embargo and 2008 combined !! eek

Forget this cooperation BS some try to blame on BO, you can't cooperate with "TP Nazis**" !! mad They won on the budget (GOP's) but that wasn't enough !! They NEVER get enough !!so now they're burned badly ! DUH ! (**sorry that's the only fanatical mindset I can equate this too!)
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/16/13 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
You don't get it on this one Jerry. It's one person, Boneher, that is holding the country hostage. If he were to okay the vote to proceed, we would not be having this problem.

One person elected only by his state should not have this much control over the whole country.

Not even by his state, Jim, just his carefully gerrymandered district. The whole thin stinks.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/16/13 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Not even by his state, Jim, just his carefully gerrymandered district. The whole thin stinks.
Right, just his district. Even worse. Thanks. sick
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: I'm getting nervous. - 10/16/13 07:57 PM

You're welcome. smile