Own it, republicans!

Posted by: NucleusG4

Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 08:01 AM

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 08:03 AM

ďThis morning I had a chance to speak with Speaker Boehner and I told him that I am happy to talk with him and other Republicans about anything. But I also told him that having such a conversation, talks, negotiations, shouldnít require hanging threats of a government shutdown or economic chaos over the heads of the American people. Think about it this way: The American people do not get to demand a ransom for doing their jobs. You donít get a chance to call your bank and say ĎIím not going to pay my mortgage this month unless you throw in a new car and an Xbox.í If youíre in negotiations around buying someoneís house you donít get to say ĎWell, letís talk about the price Iím going to pay and if you donít give me the price Iím going to burn down your house.í Thatís not how negotiations work. Thatís not how it happens in business. Itís not how it happens in private life. In the same way, members of Congress and House Republicans in particular donít get to demand ransom in exchange for doing their jobs. And two of their very basic jobs are passing a budget and making sure that America is paying its bills. They also donít get to say ĎUnless you give me what the voters rejected in the last election Iím going to cause a recession.í Thatís not how it works. No American president would deal with a foreign leader like this. Most of you would not deal with either co-workers or business associates in this fashion and we shouldnít be dealing this way in Washington. Iíve heard Republicans say this is reasonable and entirely appropriate, but imagine if a Democratic Congress threatened to crash the global economy unless a Republican president agreed to gun background checks or immigration reform. I think itís fair to say Republicans would not think that was appropriate. So letís lift these threats from our families and from our businesses and letís get down to work.Ē Ė President Obama (10/8/13)
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 08:41 AM

+ 316,823,000
Posted by: DLC

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 09:23 AM

SPOT ON !!!!

Isn't it a little TOO cbvious that:
1. The original demands due to the Aug 21 letter to Boehner from 80 TP Reps that he kill Obamacare or we won't agree to a budget. That was a "NO GO !"

2. Then it was Ok - then delay the critical part - implementation of sign up - for 1 full year. That was a "NO GO !"

3.Then it was we need to talk about the spending and deficits (like we never mentioned or discussed this before). crazy That is a "NO GO !"

4. They have known for 2 years the roll out was Oct 1 2013, think their timing is coincidental ? They could have argued budget and debt months ago !!!

It's OBVIOUS - They're just jockying around to Fsck Obnama any time/ way they get the chance??

Now they've backed themselves into a corner and can't get out wo looking like 3 yrs old who threw a temper tantrum because they have poopoo undies and they're blaming someone else for it !! blush

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 11:10 AM

Posted by: steveg

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 11:13 AM

I used to ask myself, "Who could possibly be more stupid than these right wing lunatics?" And then it dawned on me: The idiots who voted for them!
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 12:01 PM

Did you see that video clip of Neil deGrasse Tyson responding to an email asking whether NASA could provide the coordinates for a black hole so that we could shoot off the Rep. reps? NDT's answer was, well--sure, NASA could do that, and if you had a rocket you could send those folks off. But, he continued, it's not the politicians who should be sent off. It's the people who elected them.

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I used to ask myself, "Who could possibly be more stupid than these right wing lunatics?" And then it dawned on me: The idiots who voted for them!

You mean like the ones that tried to defend the ACA Vs. Obamacare ?? crazy

Obamacare BAD !! Om-gowah !! BAD !! Om-gowah !! BAD !!
ACA, friend ! whistle
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 03:57 PM

"You mean like the ones that tried to defend the ACA Vs. Obamacare"

You know that particular poll or whatever strikes me as very Borat-esque (though I have never actually seen that movie). It's a deliberately misleading question trying to draw ignorance and partisan views out of people. If Obama hadn't decided to "own" the term Obamacare I bet not as many people would have "failed" that question, which I assume didn't have a check box for "they are the same thing". If someone had asked me that question with a straight face I might have assumed they were asking, "do you support the ACA but not how it will manifest itself as 'Obamacare'?"

Okay, dismantling portable soapbox now.

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 05:25 PM

I'm sure there were many who knew the correct answer. Ed Schultz did one similar survey in NYC and all knew the difference... but I'm sure some they deleted didn't . Point is those people vote ! eek

I call them the zombie faction ! wink
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 05:25 PM

Quote:
If someone had asked me that question with a straight face I might have assumed they were asking, "do you support the ACA but not how it will manifest itself as 'Obamacare'?"

I'm sorry, but what? That would have been as stupid a question as the original to any sufficiently-informed listener: "Obamacare" isn't a manifestation of the ACA, it's exactly the same single thing as the ACA ... If one knows that (and if you're going to go spouting-off to a reporter with a microphone, you'd probably better know what you're talking about), there is no rational way to have a differing opinion of the two labels.

FWIW, the questions came in the form of on-the-street interviews conducted by the Jimmy Kimmel show. Were the questions intended to reveal the ignorance of the interviewees? Of course, that was the whole point. I think the purpose was much less to embarrass people than to show how a large chunk of the national dialogue on this issue is in fact based on an almost complete ignorance of what's being debated ...
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 05:56 PM

"Low information voters" is a misnomer. I encounter people who are low information everything on a daily basis. crazy

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
"Low information voters" is a misnomer. I encounter people who are low information everything on a daily basis. crazy

So do I, but in my case . . . they're students !! wink

I hear ya buddy !

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 07:05 PM

A few days ago I trying to establish a no brainer, something everyone knows, example to make a point with an intern, "so like, a question such as "how many states make up the US?" and the intern (who could have just nodded realizing the question was rhetorical) said, "um, 56?"

shocked

I'd've been less shocked if she hadn't been an American, just graduated from high school.

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 07:47 PM

I am often stunned how little my students know... we were talking about the Nobel Prizes the other day and I asked who Alfred Nobel was, what did he invent? , . . . and NONE had a clue !! crazy

Everyone knows he was the founder and CEO of Taco Bell !! whistle

Bonus question on a test:
Lysol contains the disinfectant alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium saccharinate. What class of disinfectants does it belong with:
A. alkylating agents
B. heavy metals
C. quaternary ammonium salts
D. halogens
E. phenols

Answer is C ... ammonium in both. crazy I thought that was a gimme but only about 25-30% got it right ! Aye -yae-yae ! (shaking head) No wonder the US is 25th in science !!

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/09/13 08:19 PM

I recently gave a test in an English lit survey course. We'd been working on medieval English lit for five weeks. One question: in what kind of English did Chaucer write?

After 5 weeks of reading Anglo-Saxon and Middle English, you wouldn't believe how many kids said "Old English"--a phrase that after the first day of class we never used because, as I said, it's misleading.

Another question: when did the Roman Empire withdraw from England?

I had many of the kids say 11th century. That is so wrong that it would be laughable if it weren't so painful.

And when did William the Conqueror invade England? Somewhere around the 16th century according to some kids.

And these are kids who are supposedly majoring in English.

So the problem is not just in science. Nor is it stupidity. Ignorance, willful ignorance--sure.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/10/13 06:19 AM

"willful ignorance"

I used that exact phrase a few days ago to describe the lunatic right.

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/10/13 07:18 AM

The old Roman Empire collapsed between 400-500 AD. 11 the century ?? crazy

As far as Chaucer I was going to answer pig Latin laugh

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/10/13 08:25 AM

These kids had been reading Anglo-Saxon and then Middle English for five weeks. And they can't tell the difference between "Hwśt, we Gar-Dena in gear-dagum gode gefrunon" on the one hand and "When that April with his showeres swoote the droughte of March hath perced to the roote." Seriously!

And yea, if the western Roman empire stuck around till the 11th century, boy would world history have been different!

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/10/13 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
And yea, if the western Roman empire stuck around till the 11th century, boy would world history have been different!

Well don't blame them too much..... they didn't get the tweet from Julius C !!! whistle

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/10/13 02:24 PM

It amazes me too, but you have to be interested in the subject to some extent to care. Start asking where things happened or are happening in the world and the answers get just as ignorant.

I love history, geography, and literature to a lesser extent. But I couldn't tell you the first thing about lots of real world stuff that keeps the world going like circuits and biochemistry. Lots of people who don't know the first thing about Chaucer still help keep the world going better than I ever could.

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/10/13 02:27 PM

I hadn't read all the posts, but Dave's comment about chemistry and which one he thought was a gimme is a perfect example. I could very likely have guessed choice C because the word ammonia was in there, but no knowledge beyond that.

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/10/13 08:43 PM

The alkylating agents could have thrown some because the chemical does have the word alkyl in it but alkylating agents are things like formaldehyde , glutaraldehyde, etc i.e. they're all aldehydes. Something they should have known, plus we discussed Lysol in class.

But i throw them questions like this in class all the time... the answer should be obvious. But they just can't make the connections. crazy

I really stumped them with Who's buried in Grant's tomb ?? !! whistle

SO BACK to topic... with the GOP at 28% approval think they'll change course ??

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/10/13 09:43 PM

I like to ask questions like this. Like where do the names of the days of the week come from? Most people have no clue. If the Christian right knew they'd spearhead a national movement to change the names of the days of the week from Asgardian gods to the name of the disciples of something.

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/10/13 09:52 PM

Right. Back on topic.

The Pubs have to change course at some point. Even people who side with their cause are against their methods and are well aware they are a minority of a minority holding up the whole country.

The House Pubs are now proposing lifting the borrowing limit for 6 weeks to give more time to find a compromise. link. But apparently, Harry Reid is saying ain't gonna happen. That's a ballsy move I think.

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/11/13 04:53 PM

MOST of the Months come from Roman emperors or numbers September 7 (although it's 9 now) October is 8 (but 10 now) because they stuck in August (for Augustus ) and July (for Julius) I think... Course November was 9 now 11 and December was 10 now 12.

Not sure where the days of the week came from... Druids? Saturday is for Saturn... Friday is Catholic because they always eat FRIed fish on that day !! whistle

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/11/13 05:01 PM

OK BACK on Topic... grin

does anyone think it strange the GOTP offered only a 6 week CR and DC delay? NOW this is the stupidest thing since Christine Whitman or Sarah Palin... think, . . they put it off for 6 weeks...WHEN does that fall ?

Right smack in the middle of Thanksgiving and right in the Christmas shopping season... I'm sure all businesses are just thrilled to have a debt default or another shutdown during this time so they can watch their sales (that usually make their annual profit) go right through the fscking FLOOR !!! mad

IS ANYONE IN THE GOTP THINKING ??? crazy

OMG !! Lunatics, idiots, imbeciles !! mad

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/11/13 05:55 PM

Monday = Moon's day (Germanic root for "moon")
Tuesday = Tiw's day (Tiw = "god," from the same Indo-European root as "theos"/"deus")
Wednesday = Odin's day
Thursday = Thor's day
Friday = Freya's day (Freya, spelled several ways, is Odin's wife)
Saturday = Saturn's day
Sunday = Sun's day (also a Germanic root)

So a strange mixture of Germanic and one Latin.

In Spanish it's all Latin:

Lunes = luna's day
Martes = Mars
Miercoles = a version of Mercury
Jueves = a version of Jove
Viernes = a version of Venus
Sabado = from Latin for sabbath
Domingo = from Latin for lord

Re: Own it, republicans! - 10/11/13 06:40 PM

How devilish... and anti-christian !

Well the GOTP must change them... shocked

Sunday will become Sonday (for Jesus - son of God)

Monday will become Maryday.. (for the virgin Mary)

Tuesday will become Jewsday (for the origin of our Christian religion- old testament)

Wednesday will Wedsday (reminding us of the sanctimony of marriage and avoid anything or person gay)

Thursday will become Theoliday (reminding us of theology should be in every aspect of our lives including all public institutions like schools, courts, legislatures, etc.)

Friday will become Fryday (reminding us if you don't accept Jesus or you're not a devout conservative Christian, you'll fry in hell)

Saturday will remain Saturday but instead will remind us we must be saturated with our religion at ALL times least we turn to sin and evil and become a godless democrat (see Fryday) !! whistle