Boehner makes a decision

Posted by: lanovami

Boehner makes a decision - 10/03/13 04:18 PM

Hey, at least he has set some kind of red line. He just let it be known that he will he will act to raise the federal debt limit even if he has to rely on the votes of House Democrats. Smart move really. He let's the Tea Party stew on that for a while. He is essentially saying, it's your move for now, but it will all be for naught come the 13th.

link
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/03/13 04:41 PM

We'll see ... he said he didn't want to shut down the government, either. It will be a test of wether he values his job more than the country ...
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/03/13 06:14 PM

One of the scariest things about all this is that Boehner may well be the only person who has any ocntrol over the Rep conference. I don't mean that he's exercising it, but rather that anyone else would be even less capable. And that's why Boehner stays in a position that he seems incapable of managing effectively. He's afraid of what might replace him!

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/03/13 07:11 PM

Well, the Speaker is elected by the entire House, not just the Majority. It would be interesting (and maybe historic) if a Speaker forged an alliance between the Minority and a majority of the Majority against an insurgent cabal in his own caucus. Could we see the first bi-partisan Speaker?

Boehner just doesn't have a sense of the possibility of history ...

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/03/13 07:24 PM

That would be interesting--but I can't imagine it happening.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/03/13 10:56 PM

We need to remember this situation and where our congressmen stood on this the next election . Let then know where we stand so they can get their stuffed packed up.

Dave

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/04/13 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
That would be interesting--but I can't imagine it happening.

Well, before 2008, I couldn't imagine a Minority so ideologically rabid that it would actually consider the levels of absolute obstructionism and routine extortion we see today as valid forms of governance. So I guess anything is possible ;-)
Posted by: steveg

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/04/13 04:00 AM

When you look at the sht Boneher has to take from both sides, you have to ask why he would even want the job in the first place.

Do the right thing, lose your f'n gavel and the stress and enjoy the rest of your life.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/04/13 07:30 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
We need to remember this situation and where our congressmen stood on this the next election . Let then know where we stand so they can get their stuffed packed up.

Dave

That WAS a valid strategy...
...Before the World Turned Up-Side-Down...
Today it's become a TP Strategy they employ to
Force Congressmen to March In Lock-Step with
WHOEVER's Paid To Call the LOONEY-TOON du' Jour.

"THEY" call it "BEING PRIMARIED" ...which is to say
Being Eaten By Their Own --- Their Own (GOP) Party
weeds out whoever goes against ORDERS by Running
another GOTP Candidate to take their place in the
very next Up-Coming PRIMARY Election.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/04/13 07:54 AM

A lesson for Bohner on how to talk to his caucus, learn from the pros. Drunk crying Irish isn't working.

Posted by: MrB

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/04/13 10:18 AM

So, are you saying that congress should not have to be subject to their constituents?

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/04/13 10:18 AM

Ya think? Think again. mad
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/04/13 12:08 PM

From a commenter in the link..

Rt Click to embiggen.

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/04/13 12:12 PM

Also from the comments:

Boehner keeps talking as if nobody has ever discussed spending cuts at all, and that just isn't true. Spending cuts have already been made. Not only that, but sequestration has forced even more.

How much does Boehner want? There's only so much cutting one can do before causing severe damage to the economy and completely destroying the recovery we have had so far.

Oh. Right. Of course this is what Boehner wants. Scorched earth. He doesn't care if the country is destroyed, if the country's economy is destroyed, or the country's credit rating is destroyed. He will wreck whatever it takes to ensure this presidency is discredited.

I remember back when the Republicans were merely another major political party with a more conservative ideology than the Democrats. Now they're just pure evil.

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/04/13 12:12 PM

So, are you saying that congress should not have to be subject to their constituents?

Dave

Of course representatives should be responsive to their constituents. The problem is the way in which constituents are grouped--the gerrymandering of districts.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/04/13 05:50 PM

It is about time John B. has some guts to stand up for what is right.Hopefully he will not change his mind at the last moment.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/04/13 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
It is about time John B. has some guts to stand up for what is right.Hopefully he will not change his mind at the last moment.

Hilarious! You're really saying Bohner is showing guts? laugh You know Obamacare has offers some preventative care options for the onset of dementia. Even John B. doesn't know what he's standing up for or against, nor do the people standing beside him. Bet you're hoping he leads us to a credit default clusterf*ck too, because that'll really take some guts.

Posted by: DLC

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/05/13 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7

He need more than guts.....

he needs a pair of gonads !! ..... and a brain . . . anatomically superior and between them . laugh

Seriously... if this guy was playing chess, a 1st grader could beat him !! crazy

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/07/13 01:14 PM

A very good summary of things. Why the Dems feel they must make a stand, and the Pubs side pretty well covered too.

link
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/07/13 04:01 PM

Dave

Quote:
"Ahm Speaking On Behalf of The The 'Merican People...!"

no..
...what I'm saying is that
HE HAS NO RIGHT TO CLAIM HE'S REPRESENTING "ME"

Because As Far As I'M Concerned.. HE DOESN'T!

I SICK & TIRED of These BLOW-HARDS CLAIMING That
They Are Speaking For "ALL" AMERICANS!

HOW F'N DARE HE Take It Upon Himself To INCLUDE "ME"
Even REMOTELY Among In His IMAGINARY Supporters!

I Can Say With 100% CERTAINTY That I DIDN'T, WON'T, And
WOULD NEVER Vote For Him ~ OR HIS IDEOLOGICAL BS !!!
And I RESENT IT With EVERY FIBER IN MY BODY that he
Takes it upon himself to EVER CLAIM To Do SO!

edit:
This has been a Generic Rant
brought to you by me finally getting sick enough
of these a-holes trying to claim that they're
Speaking with the Authority of EVERY Citizen
to finally take the trouble to state my feelings.

(I must be starting to feel better... smile
... I'd been too sick all week to type all that.)

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/07/13 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
A very good summary of things. Why the Dems feel they must make a stand, and the Pubs side pretty well covered too.

link

Need a subscription, apparently =(

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/07/13 06:46 PM

wonder how I got in? weird. don't remember signing up for anything.

edit: I am not subscribed on this computer, so I can't copy the text here. Will try to remember to do so later. sorry.

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/07/13 07:51 PM

? I didn't need a subscription.

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/07/13 08:16 PM

Weird. From this computer it gave me a little blurb than said, to read more, subscribe, or sign up or something. Home computer was fine.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Boehner makes a decision - 10/07/13 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
Weird. From this computer it gave me a little blurb than said, to read more, subscribe, or sign up or something. Home computer was fine.
They are probably limiting how many pages you access per day or whatever. The workaround is usually to clear all cookies for the site.