Fox News

Posted by: lanovami

Fox News - 10/02/13 04:36 AM

Fox News is calling this a Slimdown as opposed to other news sources, except of course an op-Ed link just below the headline which says "the SHUTDOWN is primarily Obama's fault".

Link
Posted by: garyW

Re: Fox News - 10/02/13 07:44 AM

Re: Fox News - 10/02/13 04:17 PM

Yep, the rabid look on the T party guy's face says it all.

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 05:46 AM

I've been checking out Fox News more lately. They had a Fox Business link to the top 10 states for uninsured people, and surprisingly in most captions for each state, they admitted a heck of a lot of people need health insurance (though I am sure they would say Obamacare is the wrong way to go about it)

link
Posted by: MrB

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 09:24 AM

I caught the first part of the Rachel Madoew show the other night when she was blathering about the one or two conversative media outlets calling it a "slimdown" when everyone else was calling it a shutdown. So, of course I started looking at what open and closed. It appeared to me that a lot of small areas were affected severely but the core areas that affected the government was still working with some slight curtailment if any. Military, postal, transportation,health, police, social security, spying, and others were continuing . Things suspended were areas like food banks , daycares, and the one mostly reported, parks. But, one could say these are more of an inconvenience. Of course, these may affect some part of the populace more than others

But when one says "shutdown", to me and to most people in most circumstances it means, nothing works. You tell someone to shutdown his computer, does he keep email being downloaded and hard drive going? No. Same with a car. Shut down a car, and nothing works but the door locks.
So in my definition of "shut down" it's not a shut down but that's not a matter. It's still a major problem

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 10:12 AM

Blathering? LOL.
I actually find her to be extremely well spoken and intelligent.

Anyways.. you can call it whatever ya want. I'm sure that's right up there with corporate downsizing.. which we all know is a nice way of saying....YOU'RE FIRED!

Spinmeisters at work.
To each his own....

Call it whatever... 800,00 people are out of work.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Things suspended were areas like food banks , daycares, and the one mostly reported, parks. But, one could say these are more of an inconvenience. Of course, these may affect some part of the populace more than others
A slight inconvenience? Go without food for a few weeks, see if that's what you would call it. Trying to find someone you can trust to watch your children while you're out earning is more than a slight inconvenience too.

I don't see why you're downplaying this.

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 01:37 PM

I do agree that the word shutdown is misleading. A partial shutdown is more apt, but it gets too long to fit in headlines and repeat endlessly.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 01:42 PM

The Postal Service a quasi-government agency and doesn't rely on funds from the US Government -- it operates regardless of government shutdown, like any other private company.

I get what you're saying about it not being a *complete* shutdown -- which is why many news outlets are correctly calling it a "partial shutdown" -- but calling it a "slim down" trivializes that while many suspended government functions are mere inconveniences, others are going to make life much, much more difficult for a great number of people.

And of course labeling the suspension of such programs as WIC, daycare and food banks as mere inconveniences is part of the cognizant disconnect that is a big part of the problem with this whole thing.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
Fox News is calling this a Slimdown as opposed to other news sources, except of course an op-Ed link just below the headline which says "the SHUTDOWN is primarily Obama's fault".
Link

Yeah... slim down ... sick .. that's like calling the the Iraq War a few homicides. mad
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 02:26 PM

"slimdown"

"YEAH! Dat's 'da ticket!"

Words That Work
Posted by: garyW

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 03:50 PM

Slimdown?!

Yes, FOX. It really doesn't make your butt look big. Honest.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 04:03 PM

Slimdown fits into their concept of smaller government. Of course, it shuts down all of the services that they want to get rid of due to all those good for nothing freeloaders. crazy

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 04:08 PM

When I first went to Fox News and saw that term, that's exactly what I thought Michael. Slimdown sounds more like a welcome trimming down of excess fat that only benefitted freeloaders, without actually coming out and saying it.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 04:09 PM

If a person and his/her spouse worked at a daycare, say, and it was completely funded federally, then, of course this would be a shutdown for them. But for the country as a whole it's not. I would say most folks in the country went through the last couple of days with little but inconvenience. That is what I'm saying. Nothing more. The longer it continues, the cumulative effect will create some dire situations.

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 06:27 PM

Well.. if a couple has to both work.. and what normal couple doesn't these days.. then just what is one to with their kids Dave? Now you just effectively cut that familys income by half since someone has to stay at home with the children.
Maybe they will lose their job. And maybe they will have to go on WIC now.. oh wait...they can't.
You're really turning a blind eye to that which doesn't affect you directly, eh?

Meh.. whatever.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Fox News - 10/03/13 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
When I first went to Fox News and saw that term, that's exactly what I thought Michael. Slimdown sounds more like a welcome trimming down of excess fat that only benefitted freeloaders, without actually coming out and saying it.

"Slimdown" vs "Shutdown"

Frank Luntz & Words That Work

Luntz's specialty is “testing language and finding
words that will help his clients sell their product
or turn public opinion on an issue or a candidate.”