Shut down

Posted by: NucleusG4

Shut down - 09/28/13 11:53 AM

The Pubs threatened to shut down the gov when they wrested control back after Clintons first election. Now.. they have been doing it again after they wrested it back under Obama.
Can anyone ever remember Dems threatening to shut down the government if they didn't get their way?
Posted by: garyW

Re: Shut down - 09/28/13 12:05 PM

The GOP and FoxNews are adamant that this is the Democrats and Obama threatening to shut down the government by not accepting their "reasonable" conditions
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Shut down - 09/29/13 03:36 PM

I think it's their end game in the first place. It's all the TP has ever wanted to do.

Re: Shut down - 09/29/13 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I think it's their end game in the first place. It's all the TP has ever wanted to do.

And the end result will be a democratic majority in the House in 2014.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Shut down - 09/29/13 04:13 PM

"And the end result will be a democratic majority in the House in 2014."

I sure hope so. Something good should come out of this mess. Also, it would be nice if it helped the Dems hold on to the Senate as well.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Shut down - 09/29/13 04:16 PM

Why can't the Dems do a big "enough is enough" campaign like the bally hoo-ed "contract with America" that gave the House back to the Pubs? Why is that slick, if often skimpy on details, packaging usually the purvey of the Pubs?
Posted by: DLC

Re: Shut down - 09/29/13 04:41 PM

Wrote a letter to my 3 Congressmen. Cruz, Ghomert, and Cornyn...

Dear Congressman,

I am dismayed at the progress of the budget and the stalemate in Congress. You are doing the country a great disservice by trying the repeal of a LAW to a denial of a continuation of government function. It is both irrational and irresponsible. Like the President said, how would Republicans feel if there was a Republican president and Democratic Congress and the Democratic Congress said we will not pass a budget unless you raise corporate tax rates 40%? You would think that behavior is outrageous and you would be correct. That is exactly what you’re doing with the Affordable Health Care Act. It sets a very BAD precedence for future Presidents.

As it had been stated many many times before. The Affordable Health Care Act was passed by Congress, signed by the President, validated by the Supreme Court of the United States, and lastly, approved by the people by the reelection of Pres. Barack Obama. It is a LAW, although not perfect, it is much better than what we have had in the past. If you’re unhappy with it, work with the President to fix what you don’t like. Where are the Republican ideas for fixing the health care problems of rising costs and many uninsured citizens ? You have put forth NOTHING ! In addition ACA, is exactly like that in MA which was pushed through by Mitt Romney (Romneycare - a GOP idea)... so it's bad if it's proposed by a Democrat, but good if it was a Republican ? Totally illogical.

If you continue with this behavior, I hope the wrath of the voters comes down on GOP heads in November 2014. The public is tired of you playing these silly games and holding the country hostage, as well as our credit rating hostage; screwing up the stock market; and along with it many of our retirement funds. You better think this one through very carefully. Forget the Tea Party, they are going to wreck the GOP. Only about 18 to 20% of Americans approve of the Tea Party. So assuming the country is split about 50-50%, you’re going to listen to the 18% Tea Party and ignore the other 32% of your base? That is stupid and totally illogical. Is there anyone left in the GOP with any common sense ?

Please pass a CLEAN BILL and move on !!!

Sincerely,
Dr. DLCox

P.S. And do NOT repeat this crap when the debt ceiling comes up ! These actions do nothing but screw up the whole country. There are PEOPLE out here who are struggling & suffering !!!
For GOD's, sake show some compassion and humanity !!!

Let’s be Clear:

You’re (GOP) not fooling anyone with this whiney debt talk. Let me refresh your memory. Bill Clinton got the deficit and the debt under control in the late 1990s with no help from congressional Republicans. Your party's President, George W. Bush came in and gave away that surplus putting us back on the road to more deficits and more debt. He also started 2 wars and didn’t pay for it, and then ignored regulations and we had a stock market and home mortgage collapse throwing millions out of work. All of this created huge deficits and debt. So don’t talk to the American people about debts and deficits when we were on the right track until GW and your party screwed us up and put us back on the path Reagan and GHW Bush started in 1981. Think where we'd be today if in 2001 when the debt was only $5.7 trillion, we'd continued Clinton budget policies and NOT gone down the spending road with GW. We might be looking at a $2-3 trillion debt instead of a $17 trillion (most racked up by GOP Presidents - check the CBO numbers).

Re: Shut down - 09/29/13 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
Why can't the Dems do a big "enough is enough" campaign like the bally hoo-ed "contract with America" that gave the House back to the Pubs? Why is that slick, if often skimpy on details, packaging usually the purvey of the Pubs?

Because Fox, CNN and ABC are hell-bent to follow any rightwing talking point to diminish the President …. and crap like Cruz's blabfest gets heralded as a "filibuster', a big win for his bid for the White House … and as something that is somehow relevant to actual legislating.

Way can't CNN or ABC (and NBC's MtP) actually challange Obamacare or debt ceiling misinformation and lies by GOP on their shows and stop treating it as valid arguments?

Obama has worked his @ss off to promote the enrollment of the ACA and the necessity to raise the debt ceiling … but the media all but ignores him. Panic, hate and GOP opposition to anything Obama promotes is where the ratings are at … or at least what drives their advertising revenue.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Shut down - 09/29/13 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: garyW

And the end result will be a democratic majority in the House in 2014.

I sure hope you're right, Gary, but I really doubt it. The gerrymandered redistricting that took place after the 2010 census all but guarantees a Rep majority. I hope I'm wrong!!

Re: Shut down - 09/29/13 05:37 PM

Well they only need to capture about 10-12 seats - surely out of 435, they could get that many to change. NOT saying it'll be super easy, but it shouldn't be impossible either... esp after everyone sees their retirement accounts and 401Ks tank tomorrow !! mad

BUT this IS a "Rubicon" moment... if this BS doesn't STOP, we'll have them every budget vote and every debt ceiling vote forever !! WTF wants that crap, no matter which Party you belong to ?? mad

Re: Shut down - 09/29/13 06:21 PM

There you go again! Trying to confuse them with facts! laugh

Re: Shut down - 09/29/13 06:26 PM

I think the reps have 33 more votes in the house than do dems.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 03:25 AM

Good letter. But the only ones reading it will be staffers. And if you're "lucky" you'll get a canned response brimming with right wing talking points. I wrote to Portman twice over gun control. After the second form letter email, I wrote him once more. I asked him if he's familiar with the expression, Don't blushˇt a bullshˇtter. I wrote, "... you'r in politics, I'm in advertising. Think about it." Of course, there was no reply to that one.

At this point, I'm confident that the People have had it up to their eyeballs with the GOTP, and their attempts to shove the blame back on the Dems and the Admin will fail. But in the meantime, we're all gonna get screwed. And there are no guarantees that 2014 will deliver the payback we all pray for.

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 09:19 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

GOP 2009-2013:
124 Religion Bills
149 Gun Bills
56 Abortion Bills
44 Anti-Obamacare Bills
36 Marriage Bills
0 JOBS Bills

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 09:30 AM

But oh man did they name a pantload of Post Offices! smirk

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 09:53 AM

Good Data garyW... thanks grin

YoYo- ok 17 seats. Do the math. wink

Steve, yeah I know the asswipe er Congressman won't read it BUT they do keep a tally of Pro vs. Con... so I'll register a complaint. grin

I also wrote BO and told him NOT TO GIVE 1 nanometer to the GOTP !! (Grand old Tantrum Party ) wink Also said I had to warn him, I'm not voting for Hillary in 2016 to be the 1st woman President. I'm voting for Bill Clinton to be the 1st "First Gentleman" !! laugh

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: garyW
Originally Posted By: yoyo52

GOP 2009-2013:
124 Religion Bills
149 Gun Bills
56 Abortion Bills
44 Anti-Obamacare Bills
36 Marriage Bills
0 JOBS Bills

Daaaamn. I'm Facebooking that stat.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 11:47 AM

Making the 'Do-Nothing Congress' look great by comparison

In his second term, President Harry Truman condemned the snail's pace at which lawmakers actually got some work done, labeling it a "Do-Nothing" Congress. After all, the 80th Congress (1947-1948) only passed 906 bills over its two-year period.

The current Congress, by comparison, has passed just 196 bills, easily the lowest total since the U.S. House Clerk's office started keeping track. Consider the progress in chart form, which should drive home just how unproductive the 112th Congress (2011-2012) really is.

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 12:06 PM

From Talking Points Memo:

Quote:
It can't be reiterated often enough: If John Boehner puts a temporary spending bill on the House floor, without any anti-Obamacare stunts in it, it would pass.

He can do it today and avoid a shutdown, or he can do it in a few days or weeks and end a shutdown

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 01:26 PM

Unfortunately, Ted Cruz is now the Speaker. smirk

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 01:36 PM

Looking at that chart... the previous serious dip in the chart was when Clinton was President.... whodathunkit?

As I stated earlier.. the last time the GOP wrested the control of the Houses away from the Dems.. they played this BS game of extortion.

From Wiki:
The One Hundred Fourth United States Congress was a meeting of the legislative branch of the United States federal government, composed of the United States Senate and the United States House of Representatives. It met in Washington, DC from January 3, 1995 to January 3, 1997, during the third and fourth years of Bill Clinton's presidency. Apportionment of seats in the House of Representatives was based on the 1990 United States census. Both chambers had Republican majorities for the first time since the 1950s. Major events included passage of elements of the Contract with America and a budget impasse between Congress and the Clinton Administration that resulted in the Federal government shutdown of 1995 and 1996.

Yep... nice lil summation of reality, that chart.

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Good Data garyW... thanks grin

YoYo- ok 17 seats. Do the math. wink

Steve, yeah I know the asswipe er Congressman won't read it BUT they do keep a tally of Pro vs. Con... so I'll register a complaint. grin

I also wrote BO and told him NOT TO GIVE 1 nanometer to the GOTP !! (Grand old Tantrum Party ) wink Also said I had to warn him, I'm not voting for Hillary in 2016 to be the 1st woman President. I'm voting for Bill Clinton to be the 1st "First Gentleman" !! laugh

Math? MATH! You're coming at me with MATH?!?! wink
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 04:43 PM

It is really horrible how two parties cannot even react to each other by being so stubborn that innocent people have to suffer with this tactic of closing down the government.Give Obama Care a chance at least!

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 04:51 PM

LOL sorry .... you're a good kid ! laugh

If Truman had the "Do nothing" (906 bills) Congress .... with only 196 bills, this must be the "Be nothing" congress ! wink

Ghost legislators !!

Steve (& everyone else) ... I agree Cruz is in the drivers seat... 1. Think Boehner will face a vote of confidence after this? and 2. Who'll take over when he loses? Cruz or Paul ??

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 06:07 PM

Cruz can't. He's a Senator.

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 06:23 PM

DUH you're right blush (WTF was I thinking?) ... maybe .... who ???? eek

Question for all: What happens if they have a Govt shutdown and you, as a Govt worker, show up for work ?

Answer : If you're deemed "essential" you can go to work; IF you're not, you can be arrested !! shocked

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 06:32 PM

I believe the Constitution doesn't say that, actually the House majority can elect a Speaker that is not a member of the House. Cruz could get elected as their asshat Speaker. They could elect Rush Limbaugh if they wanted.

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 06:52 PM

Anyone consider that one motivation of the GOP to shut down the government on October 1 is to steal the headline that also on this day the ACA enrollment begins? No one will be talking about the biggest day yet for the ACA.

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 07:04 PM

No one has ever answered my question: Why is "everyone" so afraid of the TP? They are a vocal minority!Why are they allowed total control?

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 07:10 PM

No one is afraid of them.. they have voters in their pockets.

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 07:54 PM

But, they're a minority! Even in the Republican Party! Why is the entire Congress hogtied by them?

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 07:58 PM

The GOP came to power
Seeking Government Shutdown

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 09:07 PM

No one has ever answered my question: Why is "everyone" so afraid of the TP? They are a vocal minority!Why are they allowed total control?

Tonight the House could have voted on the clean Senate CR and over a hundred republicans would have voted for it. But Boner is afraid of the extreme TeaParty wingnuts and their money.
Everyone = GOP (establishment, moderate, whatever). Because they're backed by groups like the Heritage Foundation and the Koch brothers and unless they vote lockstep with the TP they will face a well funded primary challenge

Everyone being Obama and the democrats, "afraid"? … not so much. Except for the possibility that the GOP may continue to shift even more to their radical extreme.

Re: Shut down - 09/30/13 09:08 PM

The TP is a minority, but it is an activist one. They mobilize people to come out to vote the TP line in primaries and overwhelm the run of the mill, lackadaisical voters who tend not to show up for primaries--heck, they'd don't bother to show up for off year elections, which is why we here in PA have an asshat of a governor. And then you've to stir into the mix the gerrymandered districts that mean any Rep who passes from primary to general election is more or less guaranteed to win. It's a wonder the Republicans aren't even more scared of the TP.

Re: Shut down - 10/01/13 05:55 AM

Let's face it the whole tea party movement was set up by rich wealthy billionaires like the Koch brothers, people in the Heritage foundation Trump, and many others. So it's not that vocal minority it is the money behind them the GOTP is afraid of. I don't believe it was ever a true grassroots organization. It was funded by big money.

Why we're people afraid of joe McCarthy? He was a real minority. I hope the GOP never stops fearing the tea party, it's driving them off a cliff into destruction. Bwah aha ahhaha !

Re: Shut down - 10/01/13 07:45 AM

Let's face it the whole tea party movement was set up by rich wealthy billionaires like the Koch brothers, people in the Heritage foundation Trump, and many others. So it's not that vocal minority it is the money behind them the GOTP is afraid of. I don't believe it was ever a true grassroots organization. It was funded by big money.

Why we're people afraid of joe McCarthy? He was a real minority. I hope the GOP never stops fearing the tea party, it's driving them off a cliff into destruction. Bwah aha ahhaha !

"Well...
...he's a PinHead...
...but how much harm can he do in just 4 years?" laugh

(Citizens United was passed by the "Judges" GDouche 1&2
stuffed into the SUPREME Court.)

The KOCH Bros. et all is but(t) another Rethug. Legacy mad

Re: Shut down - 10/01/13 08:39 AM

I think you're right, David, but wherever the motivation for the TP comes from, the reality is that TPiers do come out and vote in primaries. The Reps are terrified that they'll be dumped via primary.

Re: Shut down - 10/01/13 09:14 AM

Don't have any data, but I think there's a "core" that is PAID to do so... think if you're a billionaire and you can hire thugs and crazies for $15 / hr or even $30,000 a year... don't you think you'd have many takers ? Furthermore, you'll be spending "chump change" (hiring chumps) to further your billions !! it's got to be a 1000 : 1 return !!! mad And all you need is a few 100, and they'll draw several hundred more. Afterall I don't think that many can afford to take of work and stage these demonstrations and attend so many political rallies... unless whistle . . . THAT is their work !

I saw this first hand in a local election in the Bay area CA back in the 1980's. IF they can do it locally, why not nationally ?? I don't have any doubts some is going on ! Question is how much?

Re: Shut down - 10/01/13 10:22 AM

Don't have any data, but I think there's a "core" that is PAID to do so... think if you're a billionaire and you can hire thugs and crazies for $15 / hr or even $30,000 a year... don't you think you'd have many takers ? Furthermore, you'll be spending "chump change" (hiring chumps) to further your billions !! it's got to be a 1000 : 1 return !!! mad And all you need is a few 100, and they'll draw several hundred more. Afterall I don't think that many can afford to take of work and stage these demonstrations and attend so many political rallies... unless whistle . . . THAT is their work !

I saw this first hand in a local election in the Bay area CA back in the 1980's. IF they can do it locally, why not nationally ?? I don't have any doubts some is going on ! Question is how much?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._Federal_Election_Commission

Re: Shut down - 10/01/13 10:27 AM

House of Turds!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/ny-daily-news-shutdown-house-of-turds_n_4021642.html

Re: Shut down - 10/01/13 10:42 AM

Wow . . . what a subtle message ! whistle
Think most Americans will "see it" ?

Re: Shut down - 10/02/13 04:43 PM

Heard today the Dems in the Senate have offered 17 times in the last 7 months to meet the House in conciliation but the House refused. mad Anyone else heard this ?

Re: Shut down - 10/02/13 04:59 PM

That's true. The Senate bill match exactly what Bohner asked for including all of the sequester cuts. Bohner refused to bring it to conference. 17 times since April.

Of course Bohner decides at 11:50pm on Monday night that he wants to call a conference on the CR …. just so he can blame Reid for failing to negotiate.

Between the postering and grandstanding of Bohner, Cruz, Bachman, Preibus, King, Cantor and Gomert the F*ckforbrains store is all sold out.

Posted by: Mike

How appropriate! - 10/02/13 05:01 PM

Re: Shut down - 10/02/13 05:15 PM

Thanks Gary--I don't think MOST people know this !! I didn't until today!
WHY isn't BO hitting on that ??

Sent Ghomert the F*ckforbrains (what a title grin) a letter (in this thread) and one of his staff called, and left a message. He said he'd (staffer) be happy to discuss with me my points . Debating whether to call back. I'm afraid I'll really lose it with him !! He better have a 120 point higher IQ than Louie !! (IF he did that'd make him 125 !! ) grin . . . but I doubt it ... anyone that'd work for Louie is likely a moron / imbecile like him ! Louie couldn't stand anyone in the office smarter than him !! laugh