JUst got this email from the DNC

Posted by: steveg

JUst got this email from the DNC - 09/17/13 04:30 PM

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: Boehner WILL hold government shutdown vote over Obamacare

Moments ago, news broke that Boehner will hold a vote this week to keep the government open -- but ONLY if Obamacare is defunded. Itís a complete cave to Tea Party Republicans.

The final decision is set to be ratified by House Republicans TOMORROW MORNING.

Don't tell me the Tea Party has him by the balls ó because he never had any to begin with. Gutless wonder. mad
Posted by: DLC

Re: JUst got this email from the DNC - 09/17/13 07:30 PM

No kidding... the Mad Hatter's Tea Party for sure !

Well hopefully it WILL backfire on the GOTP and we get a Dem House in 2015 !! Course everyone's 401 K will tank for a while !! mad
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: JUst got this email from the DNC - 09/17/13 08:09 PM

Another shadow play? They can vote to defund, but the Senate will not pass such a bill, and if the Senate did, Obama would veto it. So have the vote, by all means.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: JUst got this email from the DNC - 09/18/13 01:48 AM

I read sometime back that the conventional wisdom was that even hotly contested laws that have been put on the books tend to stay there after a while because lawmakers just get used to having to accept them. Not so with Obamacare it seems.

Re: JUst got this email from the DNC - 09/18/13 01:50 AM

I don't follow US politics as much as I used to but didn't Obamacare have to make it through the House at one point? Why are they now so dead set against it?
Posted by: steveg

Re: JUst got this email from the DNC - 09/18/13 02:53 AM

It made it through the House before the Tea Party totally over-ran the chamber and when Pelosi was still Speaker.

Re: JUst got this email from the DNC - 09/18/13 03:06 AM

I think I knew that. My brain is not what it used to be. thanks.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: JUst got this email from the DNC - 09/18/13 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
I read sometime back that the conventional wisdom was that even hotly contested laws that have been put on the books tend to stay there after a while because lawmakers just get used to having to accept them. Not so with Obamacare it seems.

That's because more often than not, once legislation is passed and signed by the President it becomes law immediately. In the case of the ACA, it's taking 4-5 years to completely roll-out, so lots more opportunities to try to kill it before it takes effect. Remember, this isn't supposed to be fully implemented until next year, and the employer mandate part has been pushed-back a year further. So a ways to go yet ...

Plus, since it's really a series of initiatives, once they're all in place, if someone wanted to outright kill "Obamacare," they'd have to defund/repeal each one separately, which I gather is harder than killing them at the outset ...

On a side note, it never ceases to amaze me that the Republican solution to legislation they supposedly think will damage the country is to threaten to damage the country unless it's repealed. After the past four years of Tea-Party-inspired obstruction/extortion, I think next year's congressional elections will be pretty much a touchstone as to wether this country actually wants a functioning government or simply an ideological protection racket ...
Posted by: DLC

Re: JUst got this email from the DNC - 09/18/13 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
[quote=lanovami]On a side note, it never ceases to amaze me that the Republican solution to legislation they supposedly think will damage the country is to threaten to damage the country unless it's repealed. After the past four years of Tea-Party-inspired obstruction/extortion, I think next year's congressional elections will be pretty much a touchstone as to wether this country actually wants a functioning government or simply an ideological protection racket ...

Excellent point... we don't want something to kill the country so we'll kill the economy !! crazy
Shows how illogical and emotional they are... PMS on steroids... (not just Bachmann either... throw in the Ghomerts, Pauls, and Cruzs too!)

This could be like the 41 House votes though... they pass a BS bill in the House, goes to the Senate and in reconciliation the defunding gets left off, but the Twerps can go back and say "we voted to defund it." sick