Tokyo Olympics

Posted by: lanovami

Tokyo Olympics - 09/08/13 03:29 AM

So Tokyo is officially the host for the 2020 Olympics. Great. Now we can sweep mounting problems at Fukushima Daiichi under the rug, forget about all that claptrap about becoming a leader in renewable energy, among a host of other problems. We just go the Olympics, nothing else matters...
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Tokyo Olympics - 09/08/13 04:39 AM

I guess the radioactive material that is slowly entering the waters there doesn't matter also?
Posted by: DLC

Re: Tokyo Olympics - 09/08/13 06:46 AM

And you just thought the jellyfish glowed before !!
Wait til you see the new GIANT ones !! wink

Well they can't have the Olympics in Tokyo Now ! It's a perfect storm... the radioactive waste... the Olympics... and then Godzilla shows up !! eek HELL-O !!!

laugh

Re: Tokyo Olympics - 09/08/13 01:31 PM

Well, you're right. You just gotta laugh or you'll go crazy. wink
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Tokyo Olympics - 09/09/13 04:05 AM

Why is everything so funny all the time?
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Tokyo Olympics - 09/09/13 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
Why is everything so funny all the time?

There are those who look at jokes, and ask why... I dream of jokes that never were, and ask why not?

With apologies to RFK.

Re: Tokyo Olympics - 09/09/13 05:04 AM

I am well aware that Dave meant well with his humor. The image of Godzilla showing up in the end and breathing fire on all the smiling athletes just makes me smile.

Now, the same thing at the Paralympics, that would just be bad taste of course. Not funny. eek

Re: Tokyo Olympics - 09/09/13 07:28 AM

I try to make people smile, sometimes I succeed. grin

if you have 2 choices- smile/ laugh or scowl... i'll take the former. if it were a truly serious matter, I'd have a different attitude.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Tokyo Olympics - 09/09/13 10:25 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
I try to make people smile, sometimes I succeed. grin

if you have 2 choices- smile/ laugh or scowl... i'll take the former. if it were a truly serious matter, I'd have a different attitude.

Agreed. Also there are those things of which we peons have little or no control so I make jokes of them.

Dave

Re: Tokyo Olympics - 09/09/13 10:36 AM

Agreed Dave ! Where the 2020 Summer Olympics is hosted is NOT high on my radar !!

In 1996 when they had it in Hotlanta and we lived there - our family took a 2 week vacation so we'd be "outta Dodge" and the congestion !! IF I'm interested in a sport or athlete, I'll watch it on TV for FREE !! :-P wink

Re: Tokyo Olympics - 09/09/13 12:20 PM

" I guess the radioactive material that is slowly entering the waters there doesn't matter also? "

You are aware I was being sarcastic right? I know you mean well, but sometimes I am not sure.

I think the worst thing is that Tokyo did get the Olympics. Japan/Tokyo has a "host" of problems and "hosting" the 2020 Olympics is going to be an excuse to ignore them. The radioactivity seeping into the sea (and not really that slowly) is exactly one of the problems that will get more short shrift now that we have the Olympics.