Thank you SCOTUS...

Posted by: steveg

Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/25/13 02:02 PM

For screwing us out of decades of progress. The VRA now hangs by a thread. mad
Posted by: DLC

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/25/13 02:09 PM

APPALLING !!! mad

Another reason to get 1-2 more moderate on the SCOTUS ASAP.

Voting has consequences... have a neocon President - you get neocon Judges ...
We had that discussion a few days ago- this is why I could NEVER EVER support a GOP president candidate... even the most moderate (few around any more) because it could have this type of repercussion !! frown
Posted by: garyW

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/25/13 02:19 PM

Posted by: DLC

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/25/13 02:46 PM

Don't you love the IRONY ?

GOP accuses BO of targeting conservative groups and seeking the IRS on them ! ( course NONE of this is fact)

BUT then they target minorities and progressive voters by throwing hurdles in front of them to vote ! (THIS has been documented).

gives new meaning to irony ! crazy
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/25/13 03:49 PM

I think Ginsburg was right. The VRA should have been extended to all states. That would have made it equitable and so constitutional. F'instance, the gerrymandering in PA is obviously geared to sideline the voting power of minorities at the state and national level. Sure, we have a black mayor and a great variety of ethnicities in city council. But that just does not get reflected in our congressional delegations. The same goes for many a southern state as well. The problem is national, and the solution should be applied nationally. I doubt that congress will see it that way, of course, so that the SCOTUS has just made if possible for disenfranchisement to go national.

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/27/13 10:53 AM

Pelosi considers ‘John Lewis Voting Rights Act’ in response to the SCOTUS clusterf*ck. You go girl.

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/27/13 11:58 AM

How about a bill that would render Roberts ineffective. smirk

Ok, I can dream, can't I?

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/27/13 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
How about a bill that would render Roberts ineffective. smirk

We should expect at least 37 attempts by the GOP House to repeal the DOMA decision … yes?

laugh

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/27/13 02:12 PM

I think they should go for it. JOBS! JOBS! JOBS!
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/27/13 03:01 PM

While we're at it, let's render Boehner ine

Oh!

Wait!

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/28/13 01:21 PM

This is the 1964 Louisiana Literary Test given to blacks only in 1964.
"one wrong answer denotes failure" of this impossible 10 minute test. Note that question #30 is grammatically incorrect.

I guess Louisiana could issue this test today to registered minority voters and Federal Law would permit it.

(open each in new window to view)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/201..._louisiana.html

Posted by: Leslie

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/28/13 02:15 PM

Are you f*king kidding me!
That is absurd and disgraceful.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Thank you SCOTUS... - 06/28/13 02:25 PM

What does "first, first letter of the alphabet in this line" mean? It took me a minute to figure that out. What a god-awfully silly test. It reminds me a bit of the "test" of direction-following that we got in 6th grade. The damned thing went on for page after page--do this, do that, go here, go there. And the trick was that one was supposed to read the whole thing before doing any of it. The final direction, on the last page, was "ignore all the other directions." Silly silly silly.