My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio)

Posted by: steveg

My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/18/13 08:17 AM

Senator Portman:

I am writing you, as I’m sure many Ohioans are, to tell you how disappointed I am in your decision to block the votes on all of the recently drafted gun safety bills — and I am calling you out on your cowardice and cold dispassion.

That may seem an extreme indictment, sir. But in comparison to the painful slap in the face you and your colleagues delivered to the families of gun violence victims yesterday — who were willing to share their profound and most intimate grief with you — and to an unprecedented majority of the American People, it pales. You were elected, Senator, to work in the best interest of the people you represent. Not the NRA. Not GOAL. Not Smith & Wesson. Not Glock. Not Remington. Not Berretta. Not Bushmaster…

Had their been a vote, and you landed in the “nay” column, distasteful as it may be, you would at least be due the respect for voting your heart or mind or even checkbook. But to deny the vote; to disrespect the memory of the victims; to disregard the painful pleas of their loved ones; and to ignore the Will of The People is repugnant, arrogant, and inexcusable.

I must also tell you that your misguided decision has revealed an even more disingenuous facet of your worldview: You recently stated your support for marriage equality. In the context of a spreadsheet, that’s a good thing and your support is welcomed. You did so because your son is gay, and because as a father, supporting him unconditionally is the right thing to do. I’m sure you’ve taken a measure of heat from your Conservative colleagues, but you put your family before politics. That, too, is a good thing.

But it begs the question, Mr. Portman, why you could not also put the grieving families of gun violence victims ahead of politics; why you could not put the wishes of an overwhelming majority of citizens ahead of politics. Or is it not so much the politics as it is the money?

When you combine your heartfelt willingness to do right by your own family, and your subjugated willingness to do right by the firearms industry for political gain, the sum equals an egocentric and self-serving position. It becomes clear that neither decision was really about the issues or policies in question. It was all really about Rob.

So you see, Senator, when you consider that cowards are cowards because their self-preservation is at the core of their very being, my indictment is both fair and accurate.

As the public backlash builds — and it will — and we approach the coming election cycles, it will be most interesting to see where you lean on gun policy. Unfortunately, however, you’ve put yourself between a rock and a hard place. Because no matter which you turn, it’ll be driven by what’s good for Rob.

But in fairness, I should say that we Liberals can be as opportunistic and mercenary as you and your like-minded cadre. Should you reverse your current position, we’ll take the vote. And if you remain true to the NRA and your own hides… Well, no one will be surprised.

In closing, let me acknowledge that my being ashamed of you is negligible. That roughly 90% of Americans are ashamed of you may get some of your attention. But only when you come to be ashamed of yourself will it matter.

Have a nice day.

Steve Greenblatt
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/18/13 08:43 AM

Snap!
Posted by: garyW

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/18/13 09:01 AM

Your letter as seen by Portman's staff:

Senator Portman:

I am writing you, as I’m sure many Ohioans are, to tell you how disappointed I am.
Have a nice day.

Steve Greenblatt

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/18/13 09:10 AM

Sonic boom on the way to trash, I'm sure. Glad I sent it anyway.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/18/13 09:20 AM

You gotta send them. They may ignore 'em, but you gotta send them.
Posted by: Leslie

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/18/13 09:45 AM

Excellent Steve.

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/18/13 12:13 PM

Just called his DC office as well and left him a :30 summation of the same sentiments. I am, in the vernacular of my Boston roots, wicked pissed. mad
Posted by: lanovami

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/18/13 01:32 PM

Thank you, here and there I see too many letters to Senators expressing disappointment about the limitation of their 2nd Amendment rights (while being oblivious to other ones that have been compromised over the last 10 years).
Posted by: DLC

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/18/13 04:49 PM

WOW, slap isn't the right term - "punch lights out" is closer to what this letter does.
Mind if I lift some sections ? I need to write my 2 Texas yahoos who think they're f-ing cowboys !! Cruz is a real piece of work !

BUT look at THIS ! Yeah in Texas we breed the worst !! . . course we are known for cattle and you can't have them wo a lot of BS !! laugh

Someone asked me are these grain or grass fed ? I replied neither .... "loco weed" !! whistle
Posted by: Celandine

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/18/13 06:47 PM

+1

Even if HE doesn't see it
rest assured that SOMEONE Did,
Perhaps that "someone" will nudge
his decision once push comes to shove.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/21/13 04:28 AM

Really an impressive letter indeed.I hope he will change his mind after he reads this.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/21/13 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
Really an impressive letter indeed.I hope he will change his mind after he reads this.

Only if it contained several hundred thousand dollars in unmarked bills.

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/22/13 02:56 AM

Yeah. I'll send a check today. smirk

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/22/13 03:28 AM

Truer words were never spoken.

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/29/13 12:41 PM

Well, I just got his "reply":

Quote:
Dear Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office to share your views on gun control legislation considered in the Senate. I respect your views and appreciate you communication.

Having carefully reviewed the proposals considered recently by the Senate, I voted for those that I thought would be effective in helping to prevent the kind of heartbreaking loss of life seen in Newtown, Connecticut and in other recent tragic incidents. These amendments would have kept guns out of the hands of both violent criminals as well as the dangerously mentally ill.

For instance, the Grassley amendment I supported would have reauthorized and improved the National Instant Criminal Background Check System and addressed a current gap by strengthening state reporting of individuals who courts have found to be mentally ill. It also would have improved school safety, cracked down on gun trafficking, and targeted so called "straw purchasers" who buy guns that they then convey illegally to those could not pass current background checks. Furthermore, I voted to increase prosecutions of those who knowingly bypass current law to get weapons in the hands of violent criminals. I also supported efforts to get at the underlying problem of a culture of violence prevalent in our society by voting to authorize a study to look at the glorification of gun violence in popular culture as well as risk factors that lead to mass shootings. And I supported amendments that would have helped ensure that those suffering from mental illness get the treatment they need.

It's unfortunate that this legislation did not pass. It was largely bipartisan, and it would have had a real impact on gun violence.

I was not able to support the amendment sponsored by Senators Manchin and Toomey, which would have expanded background checks for most private sales and private transfers of guns. As authors of the amendment acknowledged, it would have done nothing to stop the Newtown tragedy. It also would do little to stop criminals who likely would continue to evade such restrictions. But it did include some restrictions that would criminalize certain transfers of guns between law-abiding Ohioans.

I also opposed an amendment to ban certain types of guns based mostly on the way they look. The evidence is simply not there that new gun bans will reduce gun violence, as we saw from 1994 to 2004 when a similar ban was in place. What these measure will do, however, is infringe on the rights of law-abiding Ohioans who use such guns for self-defense and sport shooting.

Thank you again for reaching out to my office. Until we get at the root causes of violence, no law, no ban, and no background check will ensure the safety and security of our children and our communities. Please keep in touch and I hope you will continue to share your views on this issue and any other in the future.

Sincerely,
Rob Portman
U.S. Senator

My response:
Quote:
Senator Portman:

I'm not buying your weak tea excuses.

I appreciate your response. But I'd have appreciated the bill at least being allowed on the floor for a vote. Your support, or lack thereof, of certain issues is one thing. Your complicity in preventing that vote is unacceptable.

Think of it this way: Should you choose to run for re-election in the next cycle, would you think it fair if We The People of Ohio filibustered your inclusion on the ballot?

You followed the money, sir. Yes, this money.

Shame on you.

BTW, I'm referring to the video further down the HuffPost page. mad
Posted by: DLC

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/29/13 12:56 PM

Course they all FAIL to recognize that the previous assault weapons ban failed because there were 600 exemptions !! That's like if you have a bucket but then put 600 holes in it- gee won't hold water- no F-ing wonder !! mad

Like I told one of my friends - we don't have any gun control data to go on because we have NEVER had ANY gun control !! or complete background checks, or limits on ANY kind... so Wayne LaPissant can whine all he wants- there's NO data for anything except more guns = more deaths ! (Didn't they already prove that axiom in the Wild West?)

Good job Steve... hold his chestnuts to the open fire !! wink

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/30/13 03:43 AM

Portman back pedals once again on this essential issue.More bull---t from the GOP Party.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 04/30/13 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg

My response:
Quote:
Senator Portman:

I'm not buying your weak tea excuses.

I appreciate your response. But I'd have appreciated the bill at least being allowed on the floor for a vote. Your support, or lack thereof, of certain issues is one thing. Your complicity in preventing that vote is unacceptable.

Think of it this way: Should you choose to run for re-election in the next cycle, would you think it fair if We The People of Ohio filibustered your inclusion on the ballot?

You followed the money, sir. Yes, this money.

Shame on you.

BTW, I'm referring to the video further down the HuffPost page. mad

Just think of it as
The BEGINNING of A Trend.

Re: My email to Sen. Portman (R- Ohio) - 05/01/13 04:05 AM

Poor excuse for a trend when lives are at stake always.