Off my chest

Posted by: yoyo52

Off my chest - 04/16/13 04:04 PM

I have to, just have to get this off my chest. What happened in Boston was horrific. My heart goes out to the victims, the dead, the families. I love Boston as well, and I can't believe that that wonderful city has been injured in this way.

But.

When Pres. Obama gets on the tube and says that any bomb that targets civilians is terroristic, although obviously I agree, I also have to wonder about drone attacks on weddings in Afghanistan or Yemen. Are those not terrorist attacks too? If the criminal or criminals who did the heinous deed in Boston end up in jail, shouldn't the president, who authorizes such drone attacks, also go to jail?

And then there's the report that came out today that affirms what we all know, that the US was guilty of torturing people in Iraq, in Afghanistan, in Guantanamo. Why should John Yoo, who justified such heinous actions be tenured professor of law (of law, for God's sake!) at Berkeley rather than be jailed for the next 50 years? Why should President Bush, who agreed to abrogate the protocols of the Geneva Accords, be on his ranch rather than on the work farm?

All of this is driving me crazy.

[/rant]

Re: Off my chest - 04/16/13 04:58 PM

And every time I see the photograph of the little boy who was killed, I start to tear up. He reminds me of Sandy Hook and all of those beautiful kids who died. It's all beyond horrible.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Off my chest - 04/16/13 05:04 PM

+1

The only thing that almost makes sense is
John Kerry (Peace-nik/Anti-War Protester)
as the new Secretary of State. Mazel tov!
Posted by: DLC

Re: Off my chest - 04/16/13 06:34 PM

Agreed- it IS a double standard.

Also thought of this... they have prisoners in Gitmo that have NEVER been accused of a crime. Held on suspicion. NOW BO has reduced this # greatly ... >100. But here's my dig - we say they're foreign nationals and do not deserve the rights of the Constitution. IF we truly believe in the Constitution, shouldn't we also believe it's for Everyone ?? And we will be judged by others, how we treat these people... if we treat them like shiite , what does that say about our core values ? crazy
Posted by: carp

Re: Off my chest - 04/16/13 07:09 PM

When Pres. Obama gets on the tube and says that any bomb that targets civilians is terroristic, although obviously I agree, I also have to wonder about drone attacks on weddings in Afghanistan or Yemen.

I believe we are still (at war) in Afghanistan - a drone is just another military weapon . IMO, weather a drone or a fighter jet bombing a wedding is wrong to begin with.

Frankly I am surprised that Pakistan puts up with the drones attacks ? Maybe because the Taliban is their enemy too ?
Posted by: carp

Re: Off my chest - 04/16/13 07:25 PM

Good question David.

IF we truly believe in the Constitution, shouldn't we also believe it's for Everyone ??

IMO,
NO. However that also means that we cannot break our own constitution.

they have prisoners in Gitmo that have NEVER been accused of a crime.

Thats because many were captured as (POWs) they don't get court . After the war they just get sent back home.

The terrorist however some where charged and got court dates , some others are still waiting due to evidence gathering ? ? why so long ?

Riddle me this; Congress has voted for (War on Terror)
So technically a terrorist can be held as a (POW) with no court , the US instead sends them to court. IMO this is because if someone could prove that the War on Terror is over - the US would now have to send all them terrorist home.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Off my chest - 04/17/13 12:08 AM

Yes, yes yes. It sickens me. No wonder so many citizens of other countries think we are the Great Satan. How are we proving any differently?
Posted by: steveg

Re: Off my chest - 04/17/13 02:33 AM

If, once we are out of Afghanistan, the drone attacks in that region continue, I'll probably be in near complete agreement with you.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Off my chest - 04/17/13 03:17 AM

That is your wonderful justice system in the U.S. No fairness at all.Bush and Cheney should have been in jail long ago.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Off my chest - 04/17/13 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
That is your wonderful justice system in the U.S. No fairness at all.Bush and Cheney should have been in jail long ago.

+1
Posted by: DLC

Re: Off my chest - 04/17/13 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Celandine
Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7

+1

No, +2 !! whistle

Re: Off my chest - 04/17/13 06:38 AM

We're at war in Afghanistan. Are we at war in Yemen? Or in Pakistan? I know--Pakistan is this war's version of Cambodia. Remember how we all felt about the "secret" bombing of Cambodia? Why is this any different? And as for war in Afghanistan--aren't they, whoever they are, at war with us, so that to attack our civilians is for them the same as our attacking their wedding parties?

I know--for them it's a deliberate attempt to terrorize whereas for us it's an error that leads to collateral damage. Remember another thing: road to hell and good intentions.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Off my chest - 04/17/13 09:12 AM

Well, as long as we're making observations: as horrible as what happened in Boston was, I find it telling that we as a country over-obsess on such things when they happen to us here, but generally ignore similar events when they happen to others. For example, 26 people were killed today in multiple bomb attacks in Afghanistan and 16 injured in a bombing in Bangalore, but good luck finding a ton of coverage about those in the in the US media.

Meanwhile, we're being treated to the same video clips of the Boston attacks over and over and over and over and over and over again, along with basically the exact same coverage ad nauseam ...

Don't get me wrong, I don't want us to be blasť about attacks such as the one in Boston, but at some point we as a society (or maybe just our media) need to recognize that this is the world we live in, that these kinds of things will happen again no matter what the precautions, and that it would probably be better to stop sensationalizing them as if they were 9/11 all over again when they do happen ...

Part of the problem is, of course, the 24-hour, instant-gratification news cycle and its ravenous gaping maw of need to churn-out anything at all as long as it fills air. Back in the day, it would be "XXX News is reporting bombs exploding near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. We'll bring you more information as it becomes available. Now, back to 'The Guiding Light.'"

Today we get Rachel LIVE from Boston (because it's so much more newsworthy that she's broadcasting from THERE) reporting on basically nothing that we didn't already know from the previous 8 hours of non-stop coverage. But it's a Big Thing That Happened To Us, so the coverage must be driven into the ground ...

Anyways, I'll stop there because I could go on and on ;-)

Like some here, I've stopped watching/reading any kind of media coverage until things get a little more sane, and have wallowed a bit in being disappointed at how long it takes for that to happen ...
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Off my chest - 04/17/13 09:15 AM

I'm just wondering if it was carried out by some "2nd Amendment Rights" fruitcake. crazy
Posted by: Mike

Re: Off my chest - 04/17/13 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I'm just wondering if it was carried out by some "2nd Amendment Rights" fruitcake. crazy

Or some Tea Party nut case....
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Off my chest - 04/17/13 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike
Originally Posted By: MacBozo

Or some Tea Party nut case....

They're the same, aren't they?
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Off my chest - 04/17/13 01:47 PM

And everyone on this side has a name. The little boy killed in Boston had a name and a family and dreams and an upcoming event he was looking forward to, but so did every person killed in the similar devastating killings abroad. I realize it likely hard for the media to get their hands on such pics and info, but there should be more pics and info about the innocent, dream-filled children and adults killed in the midst of their life outside our beautiful country as well. Some, most certainly not all of these killings are didrect and indirect results of US action abroad. They deserve much more attention from the US/Western media and the consumers of this media.