Sexism

Posted by: Leslie

Sexism - 04/01/13 10:26 AM

is alive and well
Posted by: steveg

Re: Sexism - 04/01/13 12:15 PM

Ya, well, 'cuz, y'know, that rocket stuff was just a hobby — like knitting or crocheting, or cub scout den mudderin'. Sheesh... crazy
Posted by: DLC

Re: Sexism - 04/01/13 02:42 PM

Well at least BO wasn't part of it.

Times really F-ed Up. blush
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Sexism - 04/01/13 04:55 PM

Geeze Louise. You ladies are soooooooo sensitive.

[duck and cover]

edit: should I add a winkie or is it sarcastic enough as is?
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Sexism - 04/01/13 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

[duck and cover]. . . . . .

Posted by: lanovami

Re: Sexism - 04/01/13 05:51 PM

Here is the killer part of the blurb:

the first paragraph of her obituary described her as a woman who “made a mean beef stroganoff, followed her husband from job to job and took eight years off from work to raise three children. She was also, according to her son Matthew, ‘The world’s best mom.’” It was only in the second graph that the paper of record got around to mentioning that stroganoff champ, husband follower and awesome mom Brill also “invented a propulsion system to help keep communications satellites from slipping out of their orbits.” Oh, that too.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Sexism - 04/01/13 05:54 PM

Admittedly that other stuff is important too, especially for her family, but that is not what she was to most of the world, so you put that SECOND.

The part about "following her husband" is the most damning to me. You would never say that about a man. Heck, the reason we live in Tokyo now is because I "followed" my wife because she had managed to transfer into a very respected and prestigious university. But if you put that in my obit I'd haunt your house for eternity. Yeesh.
Posted by: carp

Re: Sexism - 04/01/13 06:49 PM

I agree with you.

However I am not sure how all that pub works ? I mean maybe the family wanted it that way ? After all the kids remember her as a mother first , rockets dead last.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Sexism - 04/02/13 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

[duck and cover]

NAW... Show us your Winkie! grin
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Sexism - 04/02/13 01:10 PM

Quote:

Very funny!