Just f'n peachy.

Posted by: steveg

Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 10:00 AM

NOT! mad
Posted by: MrB

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 10:14 AM

I, for one, am glad they are settling down to think about this a bit more instead of jumping into something that could have consequences unforeseen by some. Of course, it appears, that at least some of the pushers of these agendas are aware of these consequences and want that exact thing.

But, me, it's always been my opinion that more thought is not a bad thing.

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 11:27 AM

Quote:
But, me, it's always been my opinion that more thought is not a bad thing.

Like the sequester problem? Sometimes inaction is not so good either....

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 01:02 PM

Right. Paperwork for dealers: Baaaaaaaad. Guns in the wrong hands: Meh.

Nice priorities, Dave. Let's slow-track it long enough for a few thousand more gun deaths. smirk
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 01:25 PM

On a different issue, but producing the same f'n peachy reaction:

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 02:47 PM

I believe HSBC paid a hefty fine. It appears, to me, that these two individuals were sincerly trying to explain what and why they did what they did. She kept asking for their opinion. I'm not sure they were in the position to give an opinion. I might be wrong there.

I guess it must be determined if individuals of the bank broke laws . If they did then put their butts in jail of give them a needle.

Dave

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 02:56 PM

Please tell me "Hon." is an abbreviation for something — anything — but 'honorable". What. A. Bunch. Of. Tools! 'Lizbeth must be having an epic head-on-desk moment.
Posted by: carp

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 05:25 PM

Here read this.

Do gun laws reduce gun deaths? New study says 'yes,' but data are thin.

The lowest gun-death rate was in Hawaii, with 3 deaths per 100,000 residents. Hawaii scored 16 on the legislative score. Louisiana ranked highest in the rate of gun deaths at 18 per 100,000 residents. It’s legislative score was 1.

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 05:51 PM

The point is people should go to jail, MrB. If I can profit personally from whatever crime I want to commit, and know that the "person" punished will be the corporation that will pay a fine that amounts to a relatively small percent of the misbegotten gains that I enabled it to get--why the hell would I not feel empowered to do commit the crime, again and again? You know whipping boys were all the rage when princes were supposed to be untouchable by their guardians. That didn't work, and this hands off the individual who commits the crime while you punish a corporate "person" doesn't work either.

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 06:02 PM

Hummm, remember Enron ?

Both the corporation and CEO was fined and he went to jail.

Thats the problem with white collar crime <- they feel that technically NO one is getting hurt , its only a business.

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 07:37 PM

So far, carp, no one, but no one involved in any of the shenanigans from 2008 onwards has gone to jail. Not a single one of the multimillion pay-off suckers of our communal blood.

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 10:34 PM

And if they broke the law, then the individuals who did it should be prosecuted.

Dave

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/07/13 10:42 PM

Aw, the data doesn't say this at all. In fact the data is a mish mash, as it figured the number of laws the states had. No indicating of what the laws were about and no indicating of causal effect.

Not only this, but the "researchers" said they were trying to show the results they got. Ths indicates to me that they configured the data to effect that result. They also got their data from the Brady Organization.

It smells to me.

Dave

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/08/13 02:32 AM

So what you're saying, Dave, is that anything that might saves lives — even a few — smells. Good luck with that.

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/08/13 02:34 AM

So what? Less data. More data. If one byte says one gun death is prevented, it's all the data that's needed.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/08/13 02:59 AM

The problem is Eric Holder does not have the balls to prosecute these banks. Elizabeth Warren does.She has guts and stamina more than Holder will ever have.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/08/13 05:14 AM

I say turn Warren loose !!

Seek 'em Lady !! grin

(there are some guys who need their testosterone factories ripped out by the roots !) laugh

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/08/13 05:25 AM

That's not what I said. I think the study they did is suspect.

It would be like a study that shows that 80% of traffic fatalities, drivers use of soft drinks or coffee was present. (I estimated the percent, but would guess it about right)
Then conclude from this that caffeine causes driver impairment.

One can't throw a couple of sets of data together and then claim one affects the other. I believe they even indicated this in the link.

Dave

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/08/13 06:57 PM

Right - well sorta.

The articles does state that more (detailed) data is needed . For example which laws were effective and which ones were not.

However the one true data that was used was a simple fact -> States that have more gun laws had fewer gun related deaths -vs- States that have liberal gun laws.

Sorta what Steve G said - just that single data point is enough said.

IMO; There should be a single source data base that all police departments report too, that is mandatory in every case . Some sort of an electronic file system or a check list .

Say a detective is call out to a new crime scene , he brings his department issued iPad laugh selects new case and a checklist pops up - type of crime and weapon of choice - there would be check boxes that once check goes auto into a national data base.

This would show how many criminal gun deaths -vs- gun deaths by accident -vs- gun deaths by self defense . Not to mention gun deaths -vs- knife deaths and so on.

I know its a dream - but this day and age it is certainly possible but I don't see anyone working to that direction ? ?

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/08/13 08:55 PM

Well, of course it depends what is a gun law . This could easily be adjusted. Then the graphs would be skewed. That is the one data set that could be off.

Dave

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/09/13 02:30 AM

I agree Warren is like a Pitbull with these bankers and banks. She does not let go.

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/09/13 03:52 AM

There's a problem. Holder is hiding behind Too Big to Fail. But, IMHO, while shutting down certain banks may present some risks to the economy, the execs and directors that enabled and even participated in these abhorrent activities are NOT too big to jail. Leave the banks standing, but at least indict the shˇt out of the schmucks that caused the problem in the first place. mad

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/09/13 08:22 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
There's a problem. Holder is hiding behind Too Big to Fail. But, IMHO, while shutting down certain banks may present some risks to the economy, the execs and directors that enabled and even participated in these abhorrent activities are NOT too big to jail. Leave the banks standing, but at least indict the shˇt out of the schmucks that caused the problem in the first place. mad

Amen, brother!

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/09/13 09:39 AM

I like that ! " Too big to fail but NOT too big to jail." grin

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/09/13 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC

I like that ! " Too big to fail but NOT too big to jail." grin

I'll go with that - at the very lease (fire) them with no pension.

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/09/13 10:49 AM

Exactly

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/09/13 06:15 PM

Too rich to jail.

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/10/13 04:25 AM

I second your remark.I only hope some of these bankers will serve time in which they rightly deserve.But being Holder and Obama this will never happen.

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/10/13 07:45 AM

Quote:
Too rich to jail.

Didn't stop them with Martha Stewart ! or Kenny Lay ! whistle

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/10/13 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Quote:
Too rich to jail.

Didn't stop them with Martha Stewart ! or Kenny Lay ! whistle

Maybe they weren't rich enough laugh

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/10/13 08:36 PM

Well Kenny's mistake is he hurt some even more rich people than he was ... and that's a BIG "No-No" !! they'll get their "paid politicians" to come after you...

you can F the public 100 X over and screw taxpayers til eternity ... but don't con the elite wealthy class of their $$ - they' nail your hide to the wall and pour salt on the open flesh !! laugh

Re: Just f'n peachy. - 03/11/13 07:54 PM

Thats because the ubber rich have a pant load of ambulance chasers on staff that protects , their money <- well its their future pay checks their protecting.

Anyway,

You and I pal . Don't have cash to keep them Yahoos on staff . So really we are never represented .