Soledad fired

Posted by: NucleusG4

Soledad fired - 03/01/13 06:29 AM

Hard to believe....

Posted by: Leslie

Re: Soledad fired - 03/01/13 07:21 AM

I thought she was moving to a different time with her own show.
She is one of the best at Commercials Not News.

Re: Soledad fired - 03/01/13 07:29 AM

She is going to do some other things and has at least 4 offers right now. But she was still fired.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Soledad fired - 03/01/13 02:32 PM

Way back in early nineties she was one of the anchors on the "Channel One" broadcasts that came in to high schools with news for kids. Along with an abundance of commercials. Our district bought into the "bargain" because the company doing it furnished TV sets for each classroom. Well almost all.

They put tvs in every class room that was having class at the time. When they first put them in, I didn't have a first hour class as that was my planning hour. Thus I didn't get a TV. Then a couple years later my schedule changed so I had a first hour class . But it took sometime for them to install a TV.

We were required to stop everything we were doing to air the broadcast. We couldn't teach. I think it was eleven minutes or something. The news was good but the kids were subjected to those commercials . I was one who vehemently opposed to forcing the kids to watch those ads. All in order for the school to get freakin tvs.

So that's what I remember when I see Soledad on TV. But I always liked here even tho she showed her bias.

Dave

Re: Soledad fired - 03/01/13 03:00 PM

Quote:
But I always liked here even tho she showed her bias.

As much as lector hannity?

Re: Soledad fired - 03/01/13 03:37 PM

Guess that s/b hannity lector, but I'm sure you knew who I meant.

Re: Soledad fired - 03/01/13 04:02 PM

Ahh.. so you remember her based on some crappy deal a news station made with the school where you worked. How fair and unbiased you are...
As far as the comment about her showing her bias... they ALL do.
Was it really for the school to get a few tvs... or were they trying something new and different to teach kids?
You sure have a way with dialing in the crappy negative outlook on just about everything. Sorry your situation in life has made you so dour. You didn't used to be like this.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Soledad fired - 03/05/13 02:10 PM

I didn't see Mr. B's post as so negative. He said he liked the news and I don't doubt he acknowledges other announcers bias. Just seemed to me to be an anecdote that the Soledad post made him think of.

Seems everyone else stayed out of this and I who only jumps in here occasionally gives his two cents. Ah well smile
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Soledad fired - 03/05/13 02:12 PM

There was a time when there was Soledad OBrien and another unrelated OBrien co-anchoring. Always got a kick out of that. I always liked her and will miss her. Doubt I'll be seeing much of her as I have little TV options for internat'l news besides CNN.

Re: Soledad fired - 03/05/13 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
I didn't see Mr. B's post as so negative. He said he liked the news and I don't doubt he acknowledges other announcers bias. Just seemed to me to be an anecdote that the Soledad post made him think of.

Seems everyone else stayed out of this and I who only jumps in here occasionally gives his two cents. Ah well smile

Could be... could be.

Re: Soledad fired - 03/05/13 08:07 PM

Hannity is on another level altogether. But then his show is more entertainment then actually giving the news

Soledad , as I recall, was on shows more news oriented and not meant to supply the angst that others do.

Dave

Re: Soledad fired - 03/05/13 08:34 PM

I'm sorry you thought I was jumping on your post. My post was to give a recolection of my first introduction to Soledad. Ths was in 1991 or so. In looking up her bio, this was not mentioned on Wiki as I recall.
I liked her. She was bright and articulate. She did a god job.

As for the Channel One segments on school time, I mentioned it as one who experienced it for several years. My thinking was that many others might not be aware of that program in schools. I'm not sure if they still have that.

The positive part of the program was that the students would get five minutes of news. Maybe all some might get in their life. But the negative part was that the school was a part of selling mouthwash, skin conditioner, soda pop etc advertisement during school time. We were required to show this. Teachers who were caught turning it off and teaching or even turning down the volume or interrupting the programs would get drilled a new arse.

The schools did it because they got money. Good for the budget. Rather reminds me of the contracts the school districts have with coke or Pepsi for the right to have their concessions in the schools and that the contract dictates that the students must have access to these concessions all during the day except for an hour during lunch.

It's about using the students in a controlled environment to sell products . I don't like it much. Others might see it as a great thing.

Of course, Soledad was not a part of this scheme . I was happy that she was able to move into the major media outlets.

Dave