State of the Union

Posted by: NucleusG4

State of the Union - 02/12/13 06:31 PM

Why does Boehner look like he's sitting on an old, dry, crusty corn cob?
LOL... he's hatin'.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: State of the Union - 02/12/13 07:28 PM

Speech is over.

Eh?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I Still love the guy, but I guess the hoeymoon is over for me. wink

Re: State of the Union - 02/12/13 07:56 PM

Interesting.. I thought it a very good speech.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 02:37 AM

Cause in reality he hates Obama in his heart.he puts on facade with his false smiles all the time.
Posted by: steveg

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 03:37 AM

Uh... There was no facade last night. Or at any other time. No false smiles. No show of even a shred of respect. Which SOTU dod you watch?

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 03:40 AM

Really, Kate? I think it was one of the most impassioned and aggressive addresses I've ever seen. Will it move the needle among Repugnicans? Probably not much if at all. But he spoke from his heart to the Peoples' heart. And he spoke from a position of leadership.

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Uh... There was no facade last night. Or at any other time. No false smiles. No show of even a shred of respect. Which SOTU dod you watch?

He was referring to Boehner.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 06:21 AM

Rubio's "response" is a prime candidate for Bill Maher's "Dispatches from the Bubble." Obviously, he heard/read a different SOTU than I witnessed.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 06:30 AM

Me, I was watching the Westminster while I did a final edit of a paper. Didn't really agree with the best in show, but the paper's bitchin'! smile

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 06:43 AM

I know that. And so was I. Wakey wakey. grin
Posted by: Mike

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Rubio's "response" is a prime candidate for Bill Maher's "Dispatches from the Bubble." Obviously, he heard/read a different SOTU than I witnessed.

Not going for a 'cheap shot' here, but I thought the 'dive' for water was funny. grin
It was one of those 'WTF is he doing?' moments....
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 07:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike
Not going for a 'cheap shot' here, but I thought the 'dive' for water was funny. grin
It was one of those 'WTF is he doing?' moments....

One word: amateur

Speaking of amateur, a single, camera mounted light? confused

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I know that. And so was I. Wakey wakey. grin

Hmmm... I was up early!.. lol.
I reread it and realized you were aware of that... and deleted the post. Or so I thought. F'n boards.

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 08:47 AM

Go back to bed. grin
Posted by: DLC

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 10:26 AM

I couldn't stay up and watch all the responses, and I was out of puke bags... so what did Rand Paul say?? Gawd I can't stand to hear him talk ! like nails on a chalkboard ! .. .

I thought BO was impassioned and inclusive... that's what the GOP always hits him on whether valid or not (partisanship) ... so last night I carefully listened to every word and he was VERY inclusive. I didn't count the "We's" but he included Congress in most of his please and in a working relationship not advisarial.

He really nailed them on the gun issue. That was an incredible climax.

My 2 ’.

Re: State of the Union - 02/13/13 10:49 AM

Paul's blather was a webcast. I started to watch it this morning, and not even a half minute in I decided not to suffer a fool and clicked off the page.

This business with the TP response is consistent with their overall attention-starved child-like behavior. Waaaa waaaa..... Look-a meeeeeee! sick
Posted by: garyW

Re: State of the Union - 02/14/13 07:43 AM

laugh

Andrew Sullivan has the perfect review of Rubio’s Pathetic, Exhausted, Vapid Response here

Posted by: Jim_

Re: State of the Union - 02/14/13 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Interesting.. I thought it a very good speech.
Finally got a chance to watch it. Google fact check State of the Union address. To say the least he stretched the truth in quite a few places. It was interesting reading the fact check sites before watching the address. Kind of gave it a different tone in my eyes.

I'm sure we're better off having him in office the last four years as compared to a Republican, he had quite a mess to clean up, but one thing I am disappointed in is the resuts of Obamacare. I thought this was supposed to bring health care and insurance costs down. Not true. Being self-employed I have to purchase my own health insurance. Three months ago it went up 15%. Health care costs won't be brought under control until someone has the nerve to address things like $20 Band-Aids, but that's another thread.

Re: State of the Union - 02/14/13 10:20 AM

True dat. He was wide of center on gas mileage improvement and some disclosure to Congress claims — and I'm not lovin' the drone thing one leetle bit. But, as you say, better him that some right wing megalomaniac in charge. And it was an outstanding speech.

On ACA, it'll still be a year and change — shortly after the law his been fully implemented — before you see real cost reductions. But costs are still high. Last sumer, I had a bizzar-o gout-like episode with my left foot. The ER bill and radiology and all that crap came to more than $1,600 for a one-hour out-patient visit. And that included a $60 charge for an air splint that retails for $13.50 online. mad

That said, my Medicare parts A, B, and D — and my AARP supplemental plan — start in two weeks, so I can stop getting gouged for the few times I need healthcare.
Posted by: MrB

Re: State of the Union - 02/14/13 10:48 AM

I started my battle with cancer January f 2009 when I just had BC/BS which I paid for since I was 64. I had several CT scans.

I would get the statements from my hospital and from my insurance. The hospital would bill the insurance $800. The insurance would tell the hospital " we will pay $600. The hospital would then say, "we will accept that"

This happened several times.

Then in 2010 I goton Medacare.

Now the statements went like this. The hospital would bill Medacare now $1300. Medacare would then tell the hospital, "okay, we'll pay that $1300"

When this happened the first month I was on Medicare I compared it to the previous scan. When I was just in my insurance. I about died.

What a scam. Where is the freakin over site!

This wasn't even Obamacare at that time.

Dave

Re: State of the Union - 02/14/13 10:58 AM

That's one of the goals built in to the ACA, to put an end to that kind of cost abuse. But that's not going to happen overnight either.

What blows my mind — in a good way — is the quarterly premium I'll be paying for Medicare (next year, when I enroll in SS, the premium will be deducted from that benefit). The quarterly for Parts A and B, plus the monthly for Part D, and the monthly supplemental plan combined are just a skosh more than half of what I was paying for Aetna coverage!
Posted by: MrB

Update on my scan charges - 02/14/13 11:37 AM

I guess I way off base. In the mail , just now, I got my BC/bs statement for January .

On jan 4, I had my cancer bloodwork done. The Hospital lab charged Medicare and BC/BS. ....$793.70 with BC paying $37.56 and Medacare the rest

On Jan 7, I had my CT scan for cancer. They scan my abdomen and chest with dye.

They charged Medicare and my insurance ...... $7,614.60. With insurance playin $1,522.92 and Medacare paying the rest.

This is using the same machine, procedure and staff as mentioned earlier but now it's six times more. WTF!

Dave
Posted by: garyW

Re: Update on my scan charges - 02/14/13 11:47 AM

This is exactly what the insurance companies are doing before the Affordable Care Act restrictions begin at the end of this year. My Anthem Blue Cross went up $450/mo with fewer benifits and a higher deductible.

Thank your republican legislators that added lengthy time delays to the process to allow the insurnce companies to screw us all.

I need an x-ray of my foot last month. (hey Steve, what are the chances of that?) If I paid cash for it would cost $45, otherwise they bill the insurance company $150. How much would Anthem Blue Cross refuse to pay? I don't know but I'll find out soon when the bill comes.

California will be one of the first states to implement the federally funded exchanges, so hopefully there will be better & cheaper coverage for me to buy next year at this time.

Re: Update on my scan charges - 02/14/13 12:19 PM

Yup. The insurance companies are making like the USPS in reverse. Schtupping consumers now to pad their bottom lines before they have to take the ACA hit.

I don't know what your foot problem was, but they had to extract a tooth from my big toe because I stuck my foot in my mouth! shocked Last month the dentist had to yank a hangnail outta my gums! laugh

Re: Update on my scan charges - 02/14/13 01:30 PM

Insurance is the greatest scam in the history of scams. All insurance.

Re: Update on my scan charges - 02/14/13 03:08 PM

No it's not. F'rinstance, if you have a decent life insurance (or as they say it in the Mid West, "INsurance") policy, when you die, you collect enough money to last you the rest of your life! grin

Re: Update on my scan charges - 02/14/13 04:21 PM

cry

That's all.
Posted by: carp

Re: Update on my scan charges - 02/14/13 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

Yep you be right.

At work we have this 3rd party insurance thingy for (term life) <-- to me the biggest rip off ever.

However; This insurer says (I find it hard to believe) that if you take a 10 or 20 year Term policy and quit your job or even cancel the policy - > they will give you back every penny in premiums you spent ? ? wtf ? sounds to good to be true.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Update on my scan charges - 02/14/13 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

And how BIG is it... well picture this... go to any big city and most of the big buildings - skyscrapers- are owned by 2 types of companies. Banks and Insurance companies... they're both making killings !!! I get as little insurance as I can... but we all are stuck getting some (life, car, house, health, etc), but I don't go overboard.