This is the sh!!t we want to stop

Posted by: NucleusG4

This is the sh!!t we want to stop - 02/04/13 10:23 AM

No one wants to take away all of your guns.
This is what I am hoping gets fixed.

Be sure to see the screenshots at end of article.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/02/04/1534871/internet-gun-sales/?mobile=nc
Posted by: steveg

Re: This is the sh!!t we want to stop - 02/04/13 11:44 AM

Yeesh. An epidemic of EARS. That's Equine Auto-Rectus Syndrome. The symptoms are easy to spot: One cannot help but make a horse's ass of oneself. smirk
Posted by: carp

Re: This is the sh!!t we want to stop - 02/04/13 06:33 PM

Humm in the responses section , some mentioned that being (always) of having to get a background check at gun shows - others say they have never been checked ?

One of the online sellers does make a good point that they do not have the means to even run a background check ?

Which begs the question ? How would a citizen like you or I run a background check ? ?
Posted by: MrB

Re: This is the sh!!t we want to stop - 02/04/13 11:41 PM

I'm not sure where these sellers got their guns. What I ont want is for me to have to get a background check to give my rifle or pistol to my grand daughter or sell it to my friend.

As for gun shws, I've not been toone that ddnt require checks there.

Dave
Posted by: Mike

Re: This is the sh!!t we want to stop - 02/05/13 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: carp
Humm in the responses section , some mentioned that being (always) of having to get a background check at gun shows - others say they have never been checked ?

One of the online sellers does make a good point that they do not have the means to even run a background check ?

Which begs the question ? How would a citizen like you or I run a background check ? ?

I think they're talking about signing up on one of those websites where they promise to conduct a background check for a small fee.
Posted by: steveg

Re: This is the sh!!t we want to stop - 02/05/13 04:12 AM

Online databases.
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: This is the sh!!t we want to stop - 02/05/13 04:27 AM

I believe the issue is private sellers. Some states require that if you want to sell a firearm you have to broker it through a firearms dealer who can run the paperwork and background checks. These same states require that the physical part of an internet transaction also takes place at a firearms dealer - so I can buy a gun on the internet, but it would be shipped to the local firearms dealer for me to pick up, and do all the required paperwork before I can take possession.

In states that do not require a firearms broker then firearms can be transferred without government knowledge. I believe some of the arguments for not requiring the transfer revolve around familial transfers and inheritance - why should I have to pay someone to take ownership of my grandfathers gun collection - type of thing. But that just allows free sale of firearms on a street corner to any unsavory customer with sufficient coinage.

The way to go is to provide access to a cheap (and it needs to be cheap or free, because cost can and will discourage its use) national background check and registry, that private sellers can access. But that still does not get around criminal sales, and fraudulent claims by the buyer. I have no way to prove 100% that the person in front of me is who they claim they are.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: This is the sh!!t we want to stop - 02/05/13 05:50 AM

Quote:
What I ont want is for me to have to get a background check to give my rifle or pistol to my grand daughter or sell it to my friend.

Why not?