Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill

Posted by: NucleusG4

Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/01/13 01:13 PM

Please God... is this really what my child has to look forward to in her future...???!!!!!
We are out of control.

What's next?
Personal gas masks for the kids?
Lessons on how to tie a tourniquet??

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/01/31/1523091/guns-lockdown-blanks/
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/01/13 01:19 PM

Quote:
What's next?
Personal gas masks for the kids?
Lessons on how to tie a tourniquet??

"Duck and cover"?
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/01/13 01:41 PM

Scare the crap out of people, make everyone the enemy and then you shall have total control.

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/01/13 01:43 PM

The republicans want to be back in power so badly they can taste it and they will do whatever they must to get there; even if that means traumatizing your children.

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/01/13 01:45 PM

Duck and cover as in the old nuclear drill?
Another worthless, pointless drill that just freaked everyone out.
If they want to have drills and learn to hide and lock doors and such.. that's fine.
I don't think firing blanks in the halls is necessary.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/01/13 02:19 PM

Barney Fife rides again. crazy
Posted by: carp

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/01/13 02:41 PM

Meanwhile,

6 year old with a plastic bubble gum - gun . Get suspended from school for the rest of the year.

Another school,
Child with a LEGO look a like gun gets suspended for 2 weeks.

However schools let any strangers on campuses with guns who do murder <- no suspensions .
Posted by: DLC

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/01/13 03:18 PM

More like a Barney Fife wanna-be, Steve !!

That's so F-ing stupid !! I hope the parents have that principal and Superintendent's JOBS !!

And some question why test scores fall? Well when you're doing 1000 things OTHER than teaching - not much time to learn !!
WTF don't we just issue Bushmasters to ALL students and be done with it? Yeah and we can put 15' electrified -barbed wire fences and goon towers around each school!! Phew,,, safe at last !! crazy

School = Stalag 17 !!

Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/01/13 03:49 PM

If you've never seen Atomic Cafe, do it right now.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/01/13 06:54 PM

After watching the movie, read a short book: Atomic Cover-up, Greg Mitchell.

Here is one review:

Quote:
ATOMIC COVER-UP: Two U.S. Soldiers, Hiroshima & Nagasaki, and The Greatest Movie Never Made (Kindle Edition)
Mitchell has done America a service by documenting the history of the suppression and discovery of intimate color footage taken after the blasts, revealing the horror and consequences of our actions in a way this country has never fully come to grips with. It's impossible to have the "debate" over the utility of Truman's decision (assuming he was even involved in the second one, which may have been dropped automatically) without understanding the human dimension of the decision.

The sanitized narrative put forth by our leaders and their compliant press corps (resulting in the one b/w image familiar to us, and the 1947 Hollywood movie The Beginning or the End) is exploded by the real-time footage Mitchell writes about here, and the people who put it all together.

Let's get that footage out there and have a real debate.

Also:

Publication Date: July 12, 2011
In his latest book, which has gained national attention, award-winning author Greg Mitchell probes a turning point in U.S. history: the suppression of film footage, for decades, shot by a U.S. Army unit in Hiroshima and Nagasaki -- with staggering consequences even today. This is a detective story, and one of the last untold stories of World War II, and it has far-reaching impact. The shocking cover-up even extended to Hollywood -- with President Truman censoring an MGM film.

I read it -- couldn't put it down. We didn't need to drop the second bomb [Nagasaki] but since it was of a different make-up [plutomium] and scientists and military were curious to see what difference in the two might be present in the devastation, it was dropped. The decision on which city to drop it on was made by an idiotic means.

I read several more who-done-it mystery novels and am now reading: We Die Alone, David Howarth

Review:

Quote:
I rarely bother with adventure stories, but Howarth's fine prose swept me into this tale and kept me at it. The last half of the book I took in one sitting. We hardly care about the protagonist, Jan Baalsrud, as a personality. He has remarkable courage and incredible physical stamina but little spiritual depth. In the hands of a lesser writer, his story could easily have degenerated into a limp survival yarn of the sort regularly published in Reader's Digest. But Howarth gives meaning to the story both through his fine description of the harsh natural world and by his sympathetic treatment of the dozens of volunteers who came to Baalsrud's rescue. Their attempt to rescue one soldier at the risk of their lives became a political as well as a humanitarian cause, virtually the only blow these Norwegians could strike against German invaders in the wastelands of northern Scandinavia.

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/02/13 03:37 AM

10Q4that. Bookmarked for viewing later this weekend.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/03/13 10:00 AM

Silly to me.

Schools are actually a safe place. Or they were in 2000 when I quit. Still are according to stats,

There are close to 90,000 school children going to classes during a normal school day. They go to school about 180 days a year. That's over 16,000,000 school student days. Of that many, how many violent crimes on students are committed? I don't know the number but it is few as it should be.

One thing that is happening is the possibility of copycat crimes. I'm not saying its happening, but it sure is possible with all the hype being broadcast these days. I look back in the late 80's early 90's with the bomb scares in my area. For a while we were having them several times per month in my school alone. And these were just the ones to which we reacted . Others were dealt by the office alone. There was, even, a vice principal of a rural school in southwest Kansas who called in a bomb scare. Can't remember all the details on that guy but he was in crapsville.

Schools are rather safe,IMO. There will be those in some areas, of course, that need security but not in most.

Dave

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/03/13 01:22 PM

There are supposed to be somewhere near 130,000 public schools in the USA. The fact millions of kids go to these and they're almost crime free says a lot. Yes there are occasional tragedies like Newton and last week in Atlanta, but as you say, considering the number of student-days... it's a very, very low %... like <0.001%...

Doesn't mean we don't strive for perfection... we do but it's like the airline safety... near to perfect as you can get and not be 100.00% perfect.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/03/13 03:22 PM

I can't help thinking how sad it must be for all those 2nd amendment at all costs advocates to constantly live in fear of one thing or another.

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/03/13 08:11 PM

Quote:

I can't help thinking how sad it must be for all those 2nd amendment at all costs advocates to constantly live in fear of one thing or another.

Hey they do it to themselves... victims of their own paranoia and childlike fears. crazy

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/03/13 09:23 PM

I'm not sure it's the constitutionites who are in fear. It's the anti gun peeps clamoring for the elimination of guns and that guns are scary things. That gun folks are crazy evil

Dave

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/04/13 03:57 AM

In Krugman's words, they think they're " living in a Mad Max Movie."

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/04/13 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
In Krugman's words, they think they're " living in a Mad Max Movie."

THEY are (mind's eye), but we're NOT !! eek

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/04/13 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
I'm not sure it's the constitutionites who are in fear. It's the anti gun peeps clamoring for the elimination of guns and that guns are scary things. That gun folks are crazy evil

Dave

LOL.. strange perception you have there podner. Most of us aren't "anti-gun" and don't think guns are scary. I think guns are fine.. cool even.
What is scary is the ease of procurement... and the number of guns within the population. There is very little control on getting a gun. It's harder to get your first divers license.
But, hey, I can just keep on saying the same things over n over... you aren't going to hear it.

Nobody, anywhere, has said "let's ban all guns".... but that's what a lot of you are "hearing".
A somewhat radical reaction...hmmmm?

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/04/13 08:09 AM

Well, too much time at the range without proper ear protection could lead to hearing problems. grin

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/04/13 08:58 AM

Quote:
It's the anti gun peeps clamoring for the elimination of guns and that guns are scary things.

I have only seen this on right-wing blogs.
Google "they are coming for your guns" and see what pops up.

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/04/13 09:35 AM

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/02/wayne-lapierre-fox-news-sunday.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/04/13 11:46 AM

He speaks from first-hand experience. They already came for his mind. crazy

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/04/13 11:33 PM

From what I see and read is plain to me that the anti gun folks will not be satisfied until all guns are gone. Of course the politicians can't come out and say that. They need to keep their job

Dave

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/05/13 04:13 AM

I never figured you for a black helicopter guy, Dave. I'm rethinking that assessment.

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/05/13 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
From what I see and read is plain to me that the anti gun folks will not be satisfied until all guns are gone. Of course the politicians can't come out and say that. They need to keep their job

Dave

And where are you reading this???
I would love to see where anti-gun folks are saying they want ALL guns gone.
Please... show me.

Re: Shooting blanks in school halls for a drill - 02/05/13 09:47 AM

I would like to see it also.
Have been looking but as previously stated, it seems to be the gun people saying all the guns will be gone.