UN questions Drones finally

Posted by: lanovami

UN questions Drones finally - 01/24/13 02:57 PM

Long time coming. This is probably my biggest problem with the Obama administration. There are others, but this is the one I truly unconvinced about.

UN investigating Drones
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/25/13 02:43 AM

Do you think these drones are being intentionally used to kill innocent people and covering up the real truth in these war torn countries? They should investigate this in real depth.
Posted by: steveg

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/25/13 04:00 AM

Quote:
Do you think these drones are being intentionally used to kill innocent people and covering up the real truth
Do you? And why?

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/25/13 04:03 AM

I agree with the intended goal. The results, not so much. And the rationale, less so. Investigate, and come up with recommendations for how to either get back on task properly, or a less problematic method.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/25/13 06:44 AM

In an actual war, who can object to drones? They are probably more accurate in targeting than regular airplanes, they don't put pilots at risk, and they no doubt allow for much better planning and coordination. What's a real problem, IMHO, is that they also see, to encourage this government to use them whenever and wherever they want, abroad and at home. How would we like it if some foreign government sent drones over our cities to shoot at will? Or to spy? But we seem to think that we can do it any time we want.

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/25/13 07:57 AM

That's my point. The goal to kill bad guys almost surgically = good. The less than surgical results we've seen = not so good. And the rationale, which has a certain intelligence-gathering bent = scary.

What's needed is a drone spotter smart phone app that detects the camera and feeds an image of your bare ass to the optical receiver. It might be called iMoon. grin
Posted by: carp

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/25/13 05:19 PM

In an actual war, who can object to drones?

Well there is the war on terror - not sure what they call the Taliban ? maybe they are lumped in with the terrorist as well ? After all their own people voted them out twice.

better planning and coordination.

Of-course alway better. I am surprised of what they have now for information. No one says but I assume they expect a certain percentage of collateral damage with each strike ?
Posted by: DLC

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/25/13 08:19 PM

Actually Drones aren't so bad... we started using them down here in Texas to herd cattle !

"Drone, Drone on the Range !! " grin

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/27/13 03:06 AM

To many civilians are being killed in these countries like Pakistan, Afghanistan, and others.They said they are shooting down their intended targets but to many mistakes are being made.

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/27/13 03:07 AM

You didn't answer my question.

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/31/13 03:22 AM

I sure did these drones sometimes the operators who control them are shooting by mistake at the wrong targets and innocent people are being killed.This has to be investigated.

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/31/13 04:12 AM

No. You didn't answer my question. Try again.
Posted by: carp

Re: UN questions Drones finally - 01/31/13 05:45 PM

What's needed is a drone spotter smart phone app that detects the camera and feeds an image of your bare ass to the optical receiver. It might be called iMoon.

Not a bad ideal Steve;

Maybe change the Apple (find my iPhone) app to (find my terrorist) app - sorta loose a few hundred iPhones where the terrorist can find them.

Once the phone is activated and confirm that yes a terrorist has it - launch a drone strike tuned to that phone location.