Gun control: It works.

Posted by: NucleusG4

Gun control: It works. - 12/28/12 06:38 PM

I have been saying for 2 weeks that Australia has done it, why can't we?
Fareed makes some excellent points in this video.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/24/how-to-fix-our-gun-problem/
Posted by: DLC

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/28/12 08:36 PM

WOW Excellent !!

Fareed nails it ! cool
Posted by: MrB

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/28/12 10:15 PM

So I'm thinking of getting a Glock 17 or 19, or a Beretta 92fs

Any suggestions?

Dave

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/29/12 02:02 AM

Come on Dave, don't half-ass.....I hear the Bushmaster is great for mowing down crowds.
Get 2.

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/29/12 02:04 AM

Oh... and here's a great handbook.

How to Survive the Hordes
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/29/12 09:40 AM

At 150 bucks, it had to be a textbook. Textbook publishers should be forced to stand at college bookstores wearing a sign that says "I'm a textbook publisher." A plentiful supply of rotten tomatoes would be available for all passers-by to use.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/29/12 10:03 AM

This month in NYC, there have been two people deliberately pushed in front of on-coming subway cars. To their deaths, of curse. I suppose if both victims had been armed, they would have shot their killers before being pushed. Or if they had been carrying bazookas or RPGs, they could have destroyed the trains before they were struck. I'm tellin' ya we needs mo' guns! Big 'uns. sick

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/29/12 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
At 150 bucks, it had to be a textbook. Textbook publishers should be forced to stand at college bookstores wearing a sign that says "I'm a textbook publisher." A plentiful supply of rotten tomatoes would be available for all passers-by to use.

Don't get it... why are text books/publishers a bad thing?

And I think you missed the point of the thread.. why throw tomatoes when a grenade launcher would be so much more effective.

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/29/12 02:33 PM

I was trying to be non-violent. smile

Textbook publishers screw the last fifty bucks out of every book they sell to a captive audience. It's an outrage, really. And then they put out a "new" edition every other year so you have to buy new stuff all the time. Usually the only thing that's different between editions is pagination. Sometimes not even that. This past semester a publisher sent me a 2nd edition of a text of Shakespeare that was identical, even down to the pagination, with the 1st edition. Oh--sorry, there was one difference: the price was 20 bucks more. I hate textbook publishers.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/29/12 04:10 PM

You hate them? Ask a poor student what they think of them!

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/29/12 05:32 PM

Yeah. I know.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/29/12 09:34 PM

I remember when I started teaching, my math texts cost about $7.50, now their much more. I'm not sure how much but they were over $45 when I quit

And they increased in bulk about ten times

Dave

Re: Gun control: It works. - 12/29/12 09:50 PM

My first copy of the Riverside Shakespeare, edited by my mentor, Gwynne Evans, cost 15.50 back in 1974 when it came out. Before it went out of print, the book cost 160. I stopped using it for my classes because of the cost, and now get a 2-volulme paperback published by Norton, which is a lot cheaper, but is paperback. I don't like it, but we've got to use something.