Ah! What journalism

Posted by: MrB

Ah! What journalism - 12/26/12 04:08 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/25/us/new-york-gun-permit-map/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

I read about this and just shake my head. Such irresponsibility.
I wonder if any of the newspaper staff is on this list.
I wonder if the newspaper has security personnel
When newspapers start publishing names and addresses of citizens which they deem of lower class or otherwise it's a sad day in America.

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Ah! What journalism - 12/26/12 06:43 AM

IMHO, the real danger is now the burglars know where there are guns to be stolen. Worse, the paranoid among those gun owners will now likely keep them loaded and readily accessible which means more accidental shootings by young kids, or more UPS drivers or meter readers getting shot for intruders!

So blame the newspapers if you want to, but certainly not the embarrassment of firepower available to any Joe Schmo. crazy
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Ah! What journalism - 12/26/12 07:23 AM

Well, if anything, it is a bit irresponsible. Of course, all the info is a matter of public record. Still, we need to issue permits and licenses for rifles and shotguns as well (and serious background checks and require personal liability insurance).

Re: Ah! What journalism - 12/26/12 07:28 AM

Well, for me it's simply that the paper is giving the names and addresses of private innocen citizens. No matter what the reason. Whether they own whatever, be it Toyota Camerys , kitchenaid blenders, are on Medicare, on SSI or college grads. They shouldn't have their names and addresses and maps displayed.

That's my opinion.

But we really know why they did it no mater what their excuse. They chose to demonize that one group. Took it upon themselves to put them in the harms way.

Dave

Re: Ah! What journalism - 12/26/12 07:42 AM

I don't think the motive was to demonize them. I think they simply wanted to know and show just how many legal permits have been issued and where those permits are. This is not the same as publishing doctor's names who perform abortions so the "right to lifers" can go kill them.

Re: Ah! What journalism - 12/26/12 08:03 AM

They're not in harm's way. After all, they've got guns! shocked

Re: Ah! What journalism - 12/26/12 12:38 PM

Actually, I do think it was to demonize them. In reading the various blogs and online chats, the rhetoric has gotten very vicious on both sides of the issue f gun control.

Of anyone, the newspapers should stay neutral in their actions and language. Same with the so called news programs on TV. Shws like O'Reilly, Hanity, Maddow, Piers Morgan.

These shows, of course just want viewers, but they in my opinion , should be neutral and not whip up the troups.

Dave

Re: Ah! What journalism - 12/26/12 12:46 PM

Why would someone want to demonize folks who have a legal permit for a hand gun?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Ah! What journalism - 12/26/12 01:22 PM

Quote:
When newspapers start publishing names and addresses of citizens which they deem of lower class or otherwise it's a sad day in America.

What makes you say they published names and addresses of citizens which they deem of lower class?

Personally, I don't see a huge problem with this. Like it was said.. this is a matter of public record. They just actually made it public.
Controversial, yes.
Posted by: carp

Re: Ah! What journalism - 12/26/12 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Why would someone want to demonize folks who have a legal permit for a hand gun?

Because this last one the guns were legal , just that the guns was owned (legally) by his mother and her son used the same guns to not only kill his mother but also the children and staff at the school. So really a background check would not have helped in this shooting. Not unless they start to include spouses and children ? ? Which maybe that would be a good idea.

In light of the incident;
Much like how the news paper and for public access , we can get addresses and or locations of convected (sex offenders) if they are living next door to you, sorta thingy -> maybe this news paper thought of the same idea ? ? about registered gun owners ? That maybe theres a Crazy living next door to you with a gun ? ?

Anyway;
I agree that was a very super bad idea to publish their address - better to just say in this county there are this many registered gun owners <- Not give their address for heavens sake.

Re: Ah! What journalism - 12/26/12 09:08 PM

Again, to me it indicates that the paper considers folks who have gun registrations to be of lessor worthiness than others. Rather like bullying.

It's not rather they have legal guns or not but I would take the same stance if the published data of owners of anything, or individuals of what ever association. I don't think they hold have publicized their locations, names and addresses.

I'm actually pleased that others did the same to reporters of their newspaper. Like beating up a bully.

Dave

Turn about - 12/28/12 03:33 AM

Here is Fountains blog. Down on page two he list the names, addresses and phones ofthe papers staff

http://christopherfountain.wordpress.com/page/2/

All public knowledge I suppose. So it's okay.
Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Turn about - 12/28/12 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Here is Fountains blog. Down on page two he list the names, addresses and phones ofthe papers staff

http://christopherfountain.wordpress.com/page/2/

All public knowledge I suppose. So it's okay.
Dave

So you have changed your stance on publishing public knowledge. That's cool.
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Ah! What journalism - 12/28/12 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I don't think the motive was to demonize them. I think they simply wanted to know and show just how many legal permits have been issued and where those permits are. This is not the same as publishing doctor's names who perform abortions so the "right to lifers" can go kill them.

If they wanted to do that they could have done the map, without names and addresses.

Re: Turn about - 12/29/12 12:30 AM

Sorry, should have put my sarcasm pic in there.

But turn about is fair play.

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Ah! What journalism - 01/18/13 06:02 PM

Journal News Removes Controversial Handgun Permit Information From Website

newspaper link

Re: Ah! What journalism - 01/19/13 03:52 AM

Good. Not the most carefully thought through idea.