The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"...

Posted by: steveg

The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/21/12 09:12 AM

And AFAIC, they delivered! Wayne LaPierre's demonstration of what an insane person is will be an effective screening tool going forward. sick
Posted by: garyW

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/21/12 02:38 PM

from Andrew Sullivan's page:

Quote:
After reading the transcript of the NRA’s press conference where they had promised "meaningful contributions" to the discussion after Newtown, I’m surprised that I’m amazed, but I am. This is epistemic closure beyond the inability of the right-wing to believe the reality of last November’s re-election of Obama. For years, the NRA has been stoking fears of "jackbooted thugs" from the Federal government. Now they propose putting an armed government employee in every single school across America.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/21/12 02:44 PM

Wayne LaPierre,. . . said "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

Bank guards
Security persons
Police
Military
CIA
FBI
Secret Service

He gave a few examples as those above.

True -- if there were no guns in the U.S. those people mentioned above would not need their guns.

Is it possible to rid the U.S. of guns? We've had lots of buy-backs where folk turn in guns of all kinds of for money given in return.

We can ban automatics, clips/barrels with more than 8 - 10 rounds. How do we get people who have them now to turn them in?

We can make a registry of persons having mental illness/conditions and try to keep guns out of their hands.

We can make a waiting period of 3 to 5 to a month or whatever before one can take possession of a gun they've purchased.

-*-*-*-*-

Computer games or any games that are war-like, shoot 'em ups, dangerous, etc. Should we ban them? They can't be made any more? Only adults can buy them [but we know kids would get their hands on them anyway].

Movies with war, blood, guts, hangings, murder, electric chairs, pulling out finger nails, chain saw murders, etc. Ban them? What to do?

How can one control those street gangs that use to be mostly in large cities like LA, Chicago, NYC, but now even show up in small places like my own home town? How long have we been trying to find solutions to rioting and things that pop up like Watts, in California, oh heck!

You all know I like guns for sport. I have all my life. I played cowboys after seeing horrible movies with Gene Autry and Roy Rogers. I shot the bad guys and forgive me, some injuns too! I was a kid during WWII and played war with a windup tommy gun and lots of other toy guns. I tend to like movies as an adult that have violence, nudity [just a wee bit], fights, and the good guys winning in the end.

As a result of the above, I'll come clean and tell you a secret -- I have not killed anyone one and have never committed a crime or spent time in prison.

I believe there are bad persons, sick people, who get hold of guns who do destructive things. As long as there are guns around those things will continue to happen.

I don't know about armed security guards at schools. Would it work? I don't know. We in my town have had from time to time a police person at out high school. They were not "guards" per se, but just there for people to talk to, relate with, . . .
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/21/12 03:52 PM

LaPierre: Poster child for mental illness. crazy

Hey! LaPierre sounds French to me! Is this a conspiracy by the French to take over 'Merica? Who can I contact at Faux News about this?
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/22/12 02:59 AM

Naturally they do not care about really trying to regulate gun control they care about how much money they can profit from gun manufacturers and people who are buying these guns at stores and shows. Now they blame video games as an excuse for their real blame themselves.
Posted by: DLC

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/22/12 01:23 PM

GOT this letter today !

"I'm a former middle school teacher from a school which has had to deal with violence. I've prepared for "code reds." I've witnessed the impact that gangs have on my students. I've even shielded students when a gun shot rang on school grounds. Thankfully, no one was hurt, but every day hundreds of Americans aren't as lucky. That's why the mass murder at Sandy Hook hit me so hard.

And that's why I can not believe what I saw at the NRA's press conference. Did you catch it yesterday? They broke their week-long silence with a bizarre and disturbing deflection of blame.

The NRA's solution is to put weapons in every school. They think by shifting responsibility to the media, music, movies and video games they can avoid a real conversation about gun violence. They had the gall to make themselves out to be victims and ignore the real victims -- the twenty children and their teachers who were killed last week -- even as the rest of the nation held a moment of silence in their honor. How much more out of touch can they be? They blame violent video games and yet have endorsed a game called "Gun Club." How much more hypocritical can they be?

It's time for that to change. We may not be able to prevent every death, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't address the availability of guns and a missing culture of responsibility.

We know now that we can't count on the NRA to do the right thing. Join me in calling on Congress to pass legislation that would ban assault weapons and limit the number of bullets guns can hold before reloading.

Sign the petition in support of responsible gun legislation. Sign Petition

I own a gun and have been to shooting ranges. I have seen true sportsmen bring down large animals and I respect what these weapons can do. But there is a difference between the right to bear arms and the right to own instruments of war. These weapons are created fully with the intent of killing many people at once. There is no need for these weapons to be on our streets and in our schools.

Help us save lives and stand up for responsible legislation.

It's time we prove the NRA politically irrelevant. It's time we take action to stop gun violence.

Thank you for all that you do.

-Franco

Franco Caliz, Southern Regional Field Organizer
Democracy for America
"

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/22/12 02:15 PM

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/22/12 08:52 PM

Well Gary consider the season....

it is the time for Fruitcakes !!! laugh

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/23/12 02:33 AM

Truer words were never spoken.

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/23/12 04:33 AM

Are we ready for back-to-school ad campaigns from Smith & Wesson? eek

Maybe Staples and Office Depot, et al, will add ammo to the school supplies aisle! shocked

Maybe we should start locking up the insane — assuming people like LaPierere and Pratt become the benchmark for certifiably crazy. mad

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/23/12 06:04 AM

Yea I can'twait to hear the school announcements !

"It's 8"15 students, Lock and Load for 1st period !!" mad

and the curriculum will be changed Grenades 101, Advanced Automatic weapons, Laying Claymoors, ... they'll tear down the football stadiums (what a wimpy sport any way) and build rifle snd mortor ranges ! It'll be great Steve !! whistle

I really think this is the conservatives answer to population control and a way to save SS and Medicare... you get killed off early !! wink

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/23/12 08:15 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Are we ready for back-to-school ad campaigns from Smith & Wesson? eek

C'mon Steve, there's still 2 shopping days left before Christmas.

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/23/12 04:38 PM

Between the NRA and the TP, we're screwed! The inmates are in control of the asylum! crazy

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/24/12 02:55 AM

This country is turning into a military state now. Pretty sad.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/24/12 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
This country is turning into a military state now. Pretty sad.

Maybe we should all move to another country and complain from afar.

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/24/12 07:33 AM

*snicker*
Posted by: MrB

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/25/12 02:29 PM

I'm not sure they have them now, but suspect they might, but when I taught in Dodge City, they had a regular police officer assigned to the school. He or she didn't guard the door ad ddnt have a regular station as I understand. He was friendly and jovial to all . In no sense did one get the impression of being in an armed camp. Something the anti gun nuts are afraid of. But anyone coming in to do mischief would have him with which to deal.

Security personnel would not be dressed in tac gear . Just being their would be quite a deterrence. After all, one of the main reasons they pick schools to shoot up is that they are pretty well sure their guns will be the only ones there.

Dave

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/25/12 04:15 PM

What the gun nuts don't realize is that unless there is an armed guard at every door... what hope do they have?
By the time he hustles from the other end of the school... the damage from the gun nut will be finished.
Several of the attacks in recent years were at places that had a police officer or guard on duty.
Columbine comes to mind.
This doesn't seem to register with the mouth foamers that want to put a gun turret on every corner.

MORE.
GUNS.
IS.
NOT.
THE.
ANSWER.

Posted by: MrB

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/25/12 06:47 PM

I'm commenting based on my experience. I wasn't at Columbine. What we won't ever know is how many shootings were averted by the knowledge that a security person would be on duty.

Dave

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/26/12 02:26 AM

You can laugh what i am saying but here in the Philippines the crime is very low especially with hardly any gun killings because every where you go especially malls their are armed security guards 2 of them on every floor in the department store or banks and state buildings.The U.S. should start applying this kind of idea where there is not enough security at all.

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/26/12 03:35 AM

Dave, the point is not whether armed guards are a deterrent, but the fact that the NRA completely rejects the notion of limiting mag capacity or banning assault weapons. LaPierre's position is that the former is at least worth trying if it might save lives. But he will not apply the same rationale to the latter. Madness — or profit motive?

He also insists that mental illness is the priority issue. It's surely not unimportant. But if you can merge two databases — records of the mentally ill and records of registered gun owners — you double the exposure of trouble before it begins.

The monoscopic POV of the NRA leadership and it's DC stooges is not a solution.

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/26/12 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
I'm commenting based on my experience. I wasn't at Columbine. What we won't ever know is how many shootings were averted by the knowledge that a security person would be on duty.

Dave

Your experience is that one school had an officer and there were no attacks.
The nations experience has been vastly different.
I have a 4 y.o. in school.
I do NOT want an armed officer outside of her door... or on the grounds.
Can we please find another way to address this besides more guns at our schools?

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/26/12 06:36 AM

The crab apples gave me a stomach ache. Guess I better eat more crab apples. crazy

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/26/12 02:11 PM

I think MY concern Dave and Marv is… I don't want to live in a police state !
That's almost what we have to have in order to prevent gun violence like had Sandy Hook or the recent violence against firemen.

I have to ask, is that what we really want; to always be looking over our shoulders for some nut with a gun picking somebody off ??
What does Wayne Pisspoor suggest the firemen do to protect themselves; post Snipers around every fire just in case someone decides to take a shot at them?? F-ing CRAZY !! crazy

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/26/12 02:19 PM

Fire SWAT teams: They can clear the area of all people before putting out the fire. crazy
Posted by: lanovami

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/27/12 01:14 AM

Someone else prob already wrote this somewhere, but that firefighter shooting that happened just days later was the definitive proof that more guns wouldn't make a difference. How are a bunch of firefighters arriving on a scene packing guns going to stop some guy picking them off at a distance?

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/27/12 02:49 AM

You are right something has to be done about this constant violence we are confronted with now everyday.No one wants to live in a police state ever.The NRA could not care one iota about having more guns on the street because they are making a fortune of money from gun manufacturers and owners.

Re: The NRA promised a "meaningful contribution"... - 12/27/12 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
Someone else prob already wrote this somewhere, but that firefighter shooting that happened just days later was the definitive proof that more guns wouldn't make a difference. How are a bunch of firefighters arriving on a scene packing guns going to stop some guy picking them off at a distance?

Plus firefighters can't pack guns... ammo in a hot environment
is just inviting more "accidental shootings".