They've totally lost it!

Posted by: steveg

They've totally lost it! - 11/30/12 09:19 AM

The theory that Repugnican resistance to Ambassador Rice's appointment to Secy. of State has more to do with getting Scott Brown back into the Senate than with Rice herself is becoming more plausible every day. To the point where they've gotten this desparate! laugh
Posted by: Mike

Re: They've totally lost it! - 11/30/12 12:53 PM

Jeeeeesh! That is outrageous! mad
Posted by: DLC

Re: They've totally lost it! - 11/30/12 02:44 PM

I came to the conclusion of your title about 20 years ago... what's new ? wink

Maybe it's just become more outrageous than ever before... this issue, voter suppression, all the crazy talk about global warming, abortion, evolution... anything scientific... their constant hypocritical stances...Govt doesn't create jobs, but we can't cut defense spending because it'll cost JOBS !! Their prostitution to the top 1% !!

Gawd.... they're so deep in BS, they could fertilize the Sahara desert .... 100 X over !!
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: They've totally lost it! - 11/30/12 02:57 PM

Pure ignorance. The US would have a very different history were it not for African Americans. And I don't mean that only in the obvious sense that there wouldn't have been a history or slavery and so there wouldn't have been the three-fifths compromise (which almost derailed the Constitution) or the Missouri Compromise, or the Civil War, or the Great Migration, or . . . . There also would not have been a specifically American culture. It's easy enough to ignore the fact that what makes the US the US and not Europe is the presence of non-Europeans amongst us. If you read the literature of America from the founding till the beginning of the Revolutionary War, it's a little like reading English literature of fifty years before the time. Even Phillis Wheatley is not an exception, ex-slave though she was, because she's imitating English forms and English diction. There are some surprises now and then in her work, but she's writing in an essentially European mode.

And then you get authentic American stuff--Cooper paying attention to the Native Americans, Irving paying attention to the peculiarities of the American countryside, Hawthorne seeing the peculiarity of European manners in light of the American landscape. The real flowering of American culture, what defines it as being not European, is the mixing up of things--listen to Huck Finn's speech patterns, and if you don't hear the influence of the slaves that Samuel Clemens grew up with, let me get you a hearing aid. And besides literature--what is typically American, not European? Gospel music? Blues? Jazz? Rock and roll? Where do those forms come from? I think that the intersection of Africa and Europe is less clear in the visual arts in America, but the point remains valid, that what makes the US American is the cross-fertilization of Europe and the non-European, especially the African.

As far as I'm concerned, not to know about African American history is not to know America.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: They've totally lost it! - 12/01/12 02:39 AM

Did you know that Rice has investments in companies around the world worth more than 40 million dollars in some connections to Iran.

Re: They've totally lost it! - 12/01/12 02:56 AM

And your source for this revelation is...? Yeah, virtually every rag and blog running with that story is written with right hands only — including the Washington Post. But just to keep it interesting, there's this. Shall we talk about stones and glass houses? Shall we talk about teapots and tempests? Seriously. smirk

BTW, It is well known that she is personally invested in the Keystone Pipeline and would be prepared to address the issue with transparency during confirmation hearings.

Next...
Posted by: Mike

Re: They've totally lost it! - 12/01/12 07:39 AM

"As far as I'm concerned, not to know about African American history is not to know America."---

And that's why I find the attitude of some of those opposed to her possible appointment 'outrageous'.
IMHO, it's nothing but an attempt to bring back Scott Brown via John Kerry.

Re: They've totally lost it! - 12/01/12 08:07 AM

Quote:
it's nothing but an attempt to bring back Scott Brown via John Kerry
Yup, that's my take.

But they were cock-sure they would win so many other elections up and down the 2012 ticket — and didn't — I would LMAOROTFL if Obama did appoint Kerry and then Brown lost the special election, too. laugh

Re: They've totally lost it! - 12/01/12 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Quote:
it's nothing but an attempt to bring back Scott Brown via John Kerry
Yup, that's my take.

But they were cock-sure they would win so many other elections up and down the 2012 ticket — and didn't — I would LMAOROTFL if Obama did appoint Kerry and then Brown lost the special election, too. laugh

Well that would be the perfect opportunity for GW to chime in after he lost and say "You're doing a heck of a job, Brownie !!" laugh

Re: They've totally lost it! - 12/02/12 02:54 AM

Why do you downplay if it is a right wing article or not? Perhaps they are telling the truth about her and her connections she has investments in. She is no perfect person. She has flaws like everyone of us.I am a Liberal but everything I rad and hear is not true on their side either.

Re: They've totally lost it! - 12/02/12 03:20 AM

Quote:
but everything I rad and hear is not true on their side either.
And one read does not a knowledge base make.

Re: They've totally lost it! - 12/03/12 02:59 AM

Read the Washington Post that is where the article is. The Post is not a right wing paper either.

Re: They've totally lost it! - 12/03/12 03:04 AM

I want you to re-read my post. Then I want you to Google the following phrase: does the washington post favor the right wing?

There will be a written quiz tomorrow morning.

Re: They've totally lost it! - 12/03/12 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I want you to re-read my post. Then I want you to Google the following phrase: does the washington post favor the right wing?

There will be a written quiz tomorrow morning.

10 essay questions ?? shocked

OH MY !!

grin