Remove Filibuster ??

Posted by: DLC

Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/26/12 06:57 PM

Well there's "talk" of removing the filibuster because:
1. BO and the Dems were elected & given mandate to fix things.
2. GOP talking of same old tactics.- we'll see.
3. We'll repeat Term 1 if they file as many filibusters as before.
4. Something HAS to change - after all there WAS an election !! mad

Don't know if it'll happen- it's a pretty serious change but I wouldn't be surprised to see a compromise... i.e. keep filibuster but limited or after so long they vote !!
GOP might make a deal cause if they don't then, they're done in the Senate !!

What do you think ??

Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/28/12 02:42 AM

I do not want to be naive how does the filibuster work? Thanks
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/28/12 05:02 AM

Well, I think we've had a couple threads here regarding the filibuster as it currently stands, and Rachel had a spot on this just a day or two ago.

In a nutshell: The filibuster was meant to be a risky, physically- and mentally-demanding, time-limited form of delaying legislation on the Senate floor.

Somehow* it has metastasized into a simple, consequence-free absolute veto power for the minority that can be used with impunity. Needless to say, this is a power never intended for the minority and imho is arguably unconstitutional.

So obviously I'm all for restoring the filibuster to the demanding and limited tactic it used to be.

* I still don't grok when and where this change happened, exactly. Up until this Congress I had assumed the filibuster to be in its former state and had been blaming the majority for simply caving at the threat of one. Apparently it's a hard-coded change, though, so apologies to the majority in this case =P

[edit]

Ah:

"In 1975, the Senate reduced the number of votes needed to invoke cloture to three-fifths (60) of Senate membership. At the same time, they made the filibuster "invisible" by requiring only that 41 Senators state that they intend to filibuster" -- About.com

Also: Ezra Klein on the history and constitutionality of the filibuster ... I'll have to see if the Supremes have ruled on this or not.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/28/12 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
I do not want to be naive how does the filibuster work? Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibuster
Posted by: steveg

Re: Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/28/12 05:52 AM

Nor do you want to be proactive enough to Google it for yourself. smirk

Re: Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/28/12 05:53 AM

Make sure he credits you on his term paper. grin
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/28/12 12:42 PM

Ah, give the guy a break, will ya. wink At least he admits what he doesn't know and asks for help. I didn't know what youtube was when it was first becoming a huge thing and you guys kept mentioning it, but someone here nicely filled me in.

Re: Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/28/12 02:18 PM

Oh goody! A new hall monitor. Do I get detention now?

Re: Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/29/12 02:40 AM

At least you understand where I am coming from. Thanks Some people do not want to I see this now.

Re: Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/29/12 03:27 AM

cry cry cry

smirk

Re: Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/30/12 03:16 AM

Why the question mark Steve?

Re: Remove Filibuster ?? - 11/30/12 03:51 AM

Why the what?