Your tax dollars at work

Posted by: Jim_

Your tax dollars at work - 10/07/11 03:13 PM

Airport to nowhere. We're paying 60M of the 77M cost. Only 100 people in the town, the 1000 workers they talk of that may use it are only there during the summer, also it's almost impossible to get to the airport, it's on a remote island 6 miles away from the town across the water.

Text version.

Long version.

I don't know which side is to blame, that doesn't matter, it's just such a waste.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Your tax dollars at work - 10/07/11 03:57 PM

Can you say, "pork?"

Trident should be paying the cost of this. crazy
Posted by: DLC

Re: Your tax dollars at work - 10/07/11 04:09 PM

Good point... I think the pig looks more attractive !! smile

WHO says lipstick doesn't work ??
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Your tax dollars at work - 10/07/11 05:39 PM

Okay, I'm guessing I'm missing the point here -- seems to me the question isn't the airport, which is needed and is on the nearest practicable acreage -- the question is how to get to and from the airport. It's the same situation as in the infamous "bridge to nowhere" but without the already existing ferry service to the airport that in part made the bridge such a boondoggle ...

I guess the outrage is that the proposed solution -- hovercraft service -- isn't as capable as first thought, which leaves helicopter or some other ferry service as pricey alternatives. I gather the airport will be used regardless -- there doesn't appear to be any other way in our out* after the amphibious air service ends. The only question is how to spend the least amount of money to safely get people to and from the community it serves.

Looks to me like there's a lot more going on here than just hicks fleecing Uncle Sam for a fancy new airport. I'd guess the *real* question is why Trident Seafoods doesn't foot more of whatever the bill will be since they'd be the major beneficiary ...

*aside from passenger boat service? None of the articles is very clear on that, or what kind of journey it entails. I gather that the community being out in the Aleutians, the journey would be fairly rough and arduous?
Posted by: DLC

Re: Your tax dollars at work - 10/07/11 07:02 PM

I thought the issue was that it was really built for the private company and not for the town. i.e. Corporate welfare !!

and don't worry about getting there... after the airport is built more pork will follow and they'll build a huge Port at our expense. how else are you going to get the fish out so they can be delivered to the airport ??

it's done stepwise, otherwise not gets too obvious. mad

We're not as dumb as they look !! wink
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Your tax dollars at work - 10/07/11 07:09 PM

Quote:
I thought the issue was that it was really built for the private company and not for the town. i.e. Corporate welfare !!

Well, it is a company town, obviously. But it does have a small year-round population and the company does employ a thousand or so people in season. The question then becomes if it's the responsibility of the company to pay for transportation or the government. And the larger question: if the airport isn't built, does the company leave/go out of business, taking along with it the jobs and probably the town itself -- and is that worth $17M?