You can't make sh!t up!

Posted by: MacBozo

You can't make sh!t up! - 03/02/11 09:09 AM

FUD News thinks they can.

I wasn't aware that it was tropical in Madison.

crazy
Posted by: carp

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/02/11 01:06 PM

Yeah I notice the Palm trees, in Wisconsin <-- yeah right laugh
Posted by: steveg

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/02/11 01:52 PM

I would have thought, Michael, that you of all people would know that Florida imports 60% of it's palm trees from Wisconsin. And they get most of their Washington Palms from Spokane. You should be a little more aware of your own state. Sheesh!

grin

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/02/11 02:25 PM

Steve you forgot that most of Florida Ferns are imported from Alaska laugh and the last Gov was imported from Texas.
Posted by: DLC

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/02/11 03:55 PM

Yes and note how green and lush they are ... in the dead of WINTER !! blush

FOX = Fools !!

People who watch Fox = bigger fools ! (an earthworm has more intelligence) wink
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 03:32 AM

I guess now Wisconsin is not to cold this time of year.Wearing only shirts and seeing no snow pretty good I say. Fox is really hard up now with there lies.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 07:25 AM

Not defending Fox but taken out of context.

Sigh, I'm so tired of this crap from both sides, both sides lie and spin.
Posted by: Lea

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 07:35 AM

Amen, brother. I knew about it, too, but . . . well, damn. I'm supposed to be working.

Posted by: Leslie

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 11:40 AM

Quote:
Further, the protest footage from Wisconsin is clearly labeled “Madison” as well as date and time stamped, while the “palm tree footage” is labeled “Union Protests.” Confusing?

I would answer yes. Perhaps technically they were not lying but they certainly were attempting to deceive and mislead.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Leslie
Quote:
Further, the protest footage from Wisconsin is clearly labeled “Madison” as well as date and time stamped, while the “palm tree footage” is labeled “Union Protests.” Confusing?

I would answer yes. Perhaps technically they were not lying but they certainly were attempting to deceive and mislead.

Running footage of some other "protest" that is not related to the news story being reported is a poor attempt at misleading. Of course, we are talking about FUD News, though.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Not defending Fox but taken out of context.

Sigh, I'm so tired of this crap from both sides, both sides lie and spin.

Doing a report on the protests in Wisconsin while displaying footage of some other event in another location isn't an attempt to mislead? Why do you think I call it FUD News?
Posted by: katlpablo

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 01:48 PM

Is this an example of what Fox calls "fair and balanced" or is it one of what they call "spin" ?

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 01:49 PM

Well, it may be a poor attempt at misleading for some, but I am sure many, many others were hoodwinked. And you can bet they are the ones running around telling all their friends exactly what is going on in Wisconsin, who run and tell all their friends.
And pretty soon they are all using the same shampoo.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 01:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgDxWNV4wWY

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 02:19 PM

Running footage of some other "protest" that is not related to the news story being reported is a poor attempt at misleading. Of course, we are talking about FUD News, though.

Ohh yeah completely agree.

If you don't have the proper accurate footed - then don't show any at all, just go verbal reporting. Its a clear big time in your face of visually misleading viewers, even if they had, little bitty labels.

Might as well have shown Kahdafy Square.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 03:56 PM

Quote:
Doing a report on the protests in Wisconsin while displaying footage of some other event in another location isn't an attempt to mislead?

Apparently the entire segment was about how "violent" union protests are in general, with this footage and more leading the segment and clearly identified as coming from around the country. This interview in the segment was about Wisconsin in particular but showing the same footage as b-roll continuity ... I imagine if you watched the entire segment there would be no confusion. If you just look at the interview out of context with the larger segment it does look a little odd ...

So: sloppy to be sure. Not sure how actually misleading it is, though. Gotta agree with Reboot here ...

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 04:45 PM

So: sloppy to be sure. Not sure how actually misleading it is

Yes I sorta agree.

However.
If I was talking about how wonderful a vacation in Hawaii is - but at the same time showing you images of nice sandy beaches of Libya.

Don't ya think it is kinda misleading ? ?

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 05:03 PM

Quote:
If I was talking about how wonderful a vacation in Hawaii is - but at the same time showing you images of nice sandy beaches of Libya.

Don't ya think it is kinda misleading ? ?

Again, if the whole point is Hawaiian beaches, yes, a bit misleading. If it's part of a larger segment on, say, beach erosion with as part of it an interview with a person in Hawaii, then much less so ...

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 05:30 PM

Yes and No.

Depends on what you are talking about - when the images are displayed.
Sloppy as you say - for sure - deliberate misleading absolutely. Now if Fox came out later and corrected their mistake, then thats okay.

Instead they place little tags, like in Madison - meanwhile continue to talk about Wisconsin. They only should have shown images from Wisconsin and thats it.

They could have had a totally different show on similar protest - but really to try and melt the two, with a slight of hand, is just wrong.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Quote:
Doing a report on the protests in Wisconsin while displaying footage of some other event in another location isn't an attempt to mislead?

Apparently the entire segment was about how "violent" union protests are in general, with this footage and more leading the segment and clearly identified as coming from around the country. This interview in the segment was about Wisconsin in particular but showing the same footage as b-roll continuity ... I imagine if you watched the entire segment there would be no confusion. If you just look at the interview out of context with the larger segment it does look a little odd ...

So: sloppy to be sure. Not sure how actually misleading it is, though. Gotta agree with Reboot here ...
Except, the protest in Wisconsin was surprisingly non-violent. They're still manufacturing "news."

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 08:02 PM

Quote:
So: sloppy to be sure. Not sure how actually misleading it is, though.

It is not sloppy at all. It is intentional. Big difference.
Not sure what actually misleading means. One is either misleading or not.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 08:16 PM

When the side we don't like does it, it's misleading. When the side we do like does it, it's making a point.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 08:17 PM

Quote:
Except, the protest in Wisconsin was surprisingly non-violent.

Agreed. But that's not the question, really. The question is wether in context of the entire segment one could be reasonably (and intentionally) misled into thinking the footage was specifically of Wisconsin or not. Based on what I've read that's questionable and not a slam-dunk. This is all I'm saying.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea

When the side we don't like does it, it's misleading. When the side we do like does it, it's making a point.

Of course. I agree with you 100%.
All I am asking is, do you not think Fox intentionally tried to mislead?

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 08:30 PM

Quote:
Not sure what actually misleading means. One is either misleading or not.

From what I've seen, at best it's sloppy, at worst it's manipulation. There's enough leeway there in my mind to make that dependent, without the producer's definitive say-so one way or another, on the viewer's pre-conceived notions. Personally I'm trying to take an objective-as-I-can approach and see where this was just "sloppy" without malicious intent ... because I've seen plenty of other examples of b-rolls not matching exactly the commentary at the time without being an evil plot to deceive. I give it a 50/50 shot at being one way or the other. But without further proof of intent I'm giving the benefit of the doubt in this case to the pitcher ;-)

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 08:39 PM

"do you not think Fox intentionally tried to mislead?"

I'm too tired to care and dead certain that both sides of the looking glass are equally foggy.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 10:11 PM

Quote:
From what I've seen, at best it's sloppy, at worst it's manipulation.

Indeed. Not like we have not seen this before.
How convenient to make a "mistake" , viewed by millions, set the tone and then gently retract.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/03/11 10:25 PM

"do you not think Fox intentionally tried to mislead?"

I'm too tired to care and dead certain that both sides of the lookingglass are equally foggy.

Again, I agree with the dead certain.
My caveat, I have some juices flowing, so I care, at this moment. The subtle manipulation is obnoxious. And it works.
Posted by: steveg

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/04/11 04:10 AM

If you think you've been exposed to the bacteria known as Fox News (Veracitudus Interruptus), take two MSNBCs and call me in the morning. laugh

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/04/11 05:54 AM

Gaddafi says that his government is not using violence against its own people.

Would it be misleading if, as proof, he showed -on his state controlled television- footage of Egypt's protests to back his claims?

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/04/11 06:52 AM

Quote:
Except, the protest in Wisconsin was surprisingly non-violent.

Agreed. But that's not the question, really. The question is wether in context of the entire segment one could be reasonably (and intentionally) misled into thinking the footage was specifically of Wisconsin or not. Based on what I've read that's questionable and not a slam-dunk. This is all I'm saying.
Yes, but we have more than two active brain cells.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/04/11 06:55 AM

I can't recall such blatant juxtaposition of words and images being done in the "liberal" media.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/04/11 07:07 AM

Quote:
I'm too tired to care

At this point, me too. It's down to basically assigning motives - which anybody can do but doesn't really get us anywhere - for a pretty much molehill of an issue in the first place.

Time for a refreshing beverage! =D

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/04/11 03:13 PM

The question is wether in context of the entire segment one could be reasonably (and intentionally) misled into thinking the footage was specifically of Wisconsin or not. Based on what I've read that's questionable and not a slam-dunk. This is all I'm saying.

I think that the mislead here is not whether the images are from Wisconsin or not. The underlying ploy served by FOX/O'Reilly, is to -by characterizing union protests as universally violent-, demean what have been completely peaceful and rightful manifestations by Wisconsin (All American) worker families, infamously connecting them with who-knows-what (unmentioned) devious violent plot.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/04/11 03:35 PM

Well maybe , Pablo

But what if I was reporting on a Obama speech and hold up a picture of a monkey at the same time ? ?

What if I was reporting on the Wisconsin protest and hold up a picture of the violent protest in Libya.

What if I was reporting on the Wisconsin protest and held up a picture of a violent protest in Florida ?

Don't ya think thats a deliberate misconception ?

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/04/11 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Well maybe , Pablo

But what if I was reporting on a Obama speech and hold up a picture of a monkey at the same time ? ?

What if I was reporting on the Wisconsin protest and hold up a picture of the violent protest in Libya.

What if I was reporting on the Wisconsin protest and held up a picture of a violent protest in Florida ?

Don't ya think thats a deliberate misconception ?

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/04/11 05:12 PM

Yes, sure, i think O'Reilly's repetition of the violent segment is delberately misleading, specially when repeated while interviewing "Mike Tobin, Fox News’ reporter who’s been on the ground in Wisconsin".

In my comment to six of one's post i wanted to point out that even if we accept his and Reboot's take that that there was no misleading -deliberate (or not)- and that the critics of the segment were out of context, there really was a demeaning purpose in the FOX/O'Reilly's agenda when portraying unions protests in general as angry and violent (the article cited describes it as "general footage played in the background") while discussing the recent Wisconsin peaceful union protests in particular.

I my view, the real, underlying purpose is to paint all unions in a negative light to justify their destruction.

The military are already half privatized (a disaster we have seen as it happens and that forecasts a war with no end) and, without the unions teachers, police, firefighters, health care, etc., defenseless, would come next...

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/05/11 03:00 PM

Well said Pablo.

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/05/11 09:16 PM

Thanks carp (Steve). smile
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/06/11 03:43 AM

I found out the video footage was shot in Southern California that is why you saw palm trees in the video. Some sort of protest going on there.
Posted by: DLC

Re: You can't make sh!t up! - 03/06/11 06:29 AM

Well lets not be picky . .. Southern California, Southern Wisconsin... same thing right ? sick