Makes me want to by another gun

Posted by: MrB

Makes me want to by another gun - 01/11/11 08:29 PM

was reading the local newspaper, The Iola Register, opinion page where it was overtaken by the editor on what needs to betaken in the aftermath of the shooting in Tucson. As per usual, he was bad mouthing the NRA. On what he sees as a lack of gun control in the country. Never mind that the legislation he proposes would not have prevented the shooting most likely just decent folks .

When I read such diatribe, I want to go out and buy another gun just because. Which is interesting in that a buddy of mine is interesting in buying the gun I purchased right during the conflagration shortly following the Combine incident.

http://iolaregister.com/pdf/paper/irn01112011a04.pdf

Dave
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/11/11 09:56 PM

Makes me want to buy shares in the gun business.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/11/11 10:35 PM

Good point

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 03:41 AM

Makes me want to hurl.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 06:52 AM

Well one thing it DOES bring out is there needs to be better record keeping and all the databases tied together or have 1 National Data base thats kept up to date to the day. Had they known he was rejected from the Army for questionable reasons, maybe he might not have been able to purchase the gun or the ammo.

Here's my question, many gun supporters claim we can't regulate or ban guns (or certain ones). well then why do we even bother to ban them from felons or those with psychological problems? Seems like if you can't do one - the flood gate is open - why do anything ? crazy

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 07:18 AM

Don't know if you read the editors comments but like most do he wants all kinds of restrictions on guns. And, I did check on Ariona's laws and they have fewer restrictions then most states. For one, a permit is not needed foe concealed carry.

But if ?Arizona had all the restrictions that any state has in place it would not have prevented this guy from doing what he did. Every state, indeed every country, has laws againstwhat he' did. He knew in advance that he was going to break the law so he was willing to do so. Breaking a gun law certainly would not have stopped him.

This editor, of my newspaper sits in an office inside a building just off of our town square. On the door leading into the building theybhave one of those signs giving notice that firearms are not allowed. I wonder if he feels that that sign protects him from the likes of this shooter who might want to do him harm. In fact that sign does just one thing. It tells a shooter that if he takes a gun into the building his will be the only gun. It makes the shooter feel safe.

Dave
Posted by: Lea

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 08:18 AM

MrB, I'm pretty much with you on this one. It's not a popular take on the problem with everybody, but it is the realistic take.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 08:25 AM

Mark my words, with millions of people out of work, there will be more shootings.
Posted by: EzyriderTX

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 10:04 AM

Gun laws will NEVER stop this kind of thing.

On another note...I read where that insane bunch at the Westboro Baptist church were going to protest the 9 year old girls funeral who died in the attack...because God hates Catholics and she was Catholic. I have since read they won't protest her funeral if they get some air time. If anybody needs to be shot it's that bunch of hatemongers.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 10:29 AM

No kidding. Looks like Arizona is tryin' to head this one off at the pass ~

Westboro Baptist Church Target of New Law Banning Protest at Ariz. Shooting Victims' Funerals

Arizona legislators quickly passed emergency legislation Tuesday to ban picketing by a notorious Kansas church that planned to protest the funeral services for the victims of the Tucson shootings that left six dead, including a 9-year-old girl

A lot of the "family" members of that whacked outfit are lawyers. Stay tooned.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 11:24 AM

If Palin wants to put crosshairs on people she should put them on the members of that "church"

Dave
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
If Palin wants to put crosshairs on people she should put them on the members of that "church"

Dave

They're probably among her biggest supporters. crazy

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 11:58 AM

If a person buys a weapon legally, while said person is of sound mind (no previous red flags) and then becomes insane at a later date and uses that weapon, there is no amount of control laws that would prevent that other than a total ban on all hand guns (will never happen).
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 12:18 PM

I'm going to go ahead and move this to the political section. It's borderline and so I'm erring on the side that it is leaning to political.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: EzyriderTX
Gun laws will NEVER stop this kind of thing.

On another note...I read where that insane bunch at the Westboro Baptist church were going to protest the 9 year old girls funeral who died in the attack...because God hates Catholics and she was Catholic. I have since read they won't protest her funeral if they get some air time. If anybody needs to be shot it's that bunch of hatemongers.

Personally, I don't advocate harming anyone over their particular beliefs. Talk like that is what has gotten us to the point we are now. crazy

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 12:52 PM

Baptists ! . . ugh, sick and I was raised one, . . but this pea fell out of the pod !
Thank God !! wink

Not directed at you EZ .. but to all . . .
So if we have NO gun regulation - where do we draw the line ?
DO we let people run around with oozies and machine guns ?

I'm just asking ! smile
Posted by: EzyriderTX

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 02:40 PM

I was raised a Baptist too (not one now) and that group doesn't represent Baptists much less Christians. And I probably disagree with most Christians or any other religious zealot's beliefs.

I don't necessarily believe they should be shot for their beliefs, I just know if it was my little girl they were protesting I highly doubt I would be civil toward their beliefs any more than I would with nazis or white supremacists. I think allowing that type of behavior is what has gotten us to this point. And I know...it's what freedom of speech is all about. I just have a very low tolerence level to those types. Does it make me one of them on the opposite side of the spectrum? Maybe so...

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: EzyriderTX
I was raised a Baptist too (not one now) and that group doesn't represent Baptists much less Christians. And I probably disagree with most Christians or any other religious zealot's beliefs.

I don't necessarily believe they should be shot for their beliefs, I just know if it was my little girl they were protesting I highly doubt I would be civil toward their beliefs any more than I would with nazis or white supremacists. I think allowing that type of behavior is what has gotten us to this point. And I know...it's what freedom of speech is all about. I just have a very low tolerence level to those types. Does it make me one of them on the opposite side of the spectrum? Maybe so...
Oh, I agree. They are not any kind of Christian no matter what they proclaim to be. Jesus was never about exclusion and hatred. The Arizona law prohibiting them from demonstrating near the funeral(s) has merit since GW and friends were OK to set up "Free" Speech Zones (as far as I'm concerned, those were unconstitutional) far away from their own "events."
Posted by: carp

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 03:47 PM

"Free" Speech Zones (as far as I'm concerned, those were unconstitutional) far away from their own "events."

I dunno Michael
Those zones where set up so that they do not trample someone's else's right to free speech.

I agree with AZ - they can have their free speech just not in front of the dead girl face and trample her ((right to a peaceful ceremony)).

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: carp

Those zones where set up so that they do not trample someone's else's right to free speech.

No, they were set up so that GW wouldn't be confronted with an opposing viewpoint and to stifle any political opposition.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 03:56 PM

Wrong - sorry

We already see what happens - protesters take that crap outside.
Media can give them fair coverage , without them disrupting someone else right to their free speech.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 03:59 PM

Wrong - sorry

We already see what happens - protesters take that crap outside.
Media can give them fair coverage , without them disrupting someone else right to their free speech.
Except, they arrested people for protesting outside a closed event (Tampa, FL). GW and gang simply did not want anyone to see any opposition.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 04:30 PM

Still don't buy into that.

Protest all you want so long it does not trample someone elses rights and do it legally so you don't get arrested.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 05:02 PM

Still don't buy into that.

Protest all you want so long it does not trample someone elses rights and do it legally so you don't get arrested.
There is absolutely no point in discussing anything with you, is there? The people who were arrested in Tampa were on public property outside the event venue and were not disrupting the event. The "charges" were later dropped after three days. There is a difference between expressing yourself in a civil manner on public propery and purposefully disrupting or interfering with someone else's rights.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 05:03 PM

See, this is where I fall off the ACLU wagon. For the sake of ~ Common fn' sense says nobody has the right to pull the kind of hateful crap these batshlt crazies pull at friggin' funerals. I'd be more than happy to shove their right to free speech up their collective lunatic ass.

And don't start that "where do you draw the line" crap. I'll come back with yellin' fires in theaters, hate speech and seriously? Those don't even matter. This shlt is just plain wrong. No. They do not have any right on the face of the planet to do what they plan. Or what they've done in the past.

None. End of rant.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 05:19 PM

Right Lea - I agree and you see my point.

People like Michael will protest right in the dead girls face - after all funerals is a public space.

This is a question of is it (morally correct) -vs- constitution.
The constitution may say you have the right but morally you are dead wrong.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 05:33 PM

Quote:
People like Michael will protest right in the dead girls face - after all funerals is a public space.

Are you f'n kidding me?
Do you even think before you type?
You have turned to be such a colossal prick. Get a job and get a life.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 05:40 PM

Yeah I admit I went to far - sorry Michael

However people who feel they can thread on others makes me sick to no ends and to declare they have a right makes that even worse.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 06:46 PM

I'll ask again, no one tackled my question...

if we have no gun regulation, WHERE do we draw the line ?
DO we allow automatic weapons ? extended clips? what's the limit (if any)?
Many claim we can't regulate guns , so what do we do ?
What do we do to keep guns from "crazys" and criminals ?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/12/11 08:11 PM

We do have gun regulation. The line gets drawn by the law. And that line, like the law, gets challenged and changed on a regular basis. But ~ We do have gun regulation. And still, there is nothing on the planet we can do to keep guns away from lunatics and criminals.

It's an issue that's automatic Liberal/Conservative Red Meat. Both parties foam at the mouth over this one.

Common sense says pass sensible laws and leave it at that. Oh, wait. I think I've identified the problem ~ Common sense. Neither side exhibits any.

Say goodnight, Lea. Goodnight, Lea.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/13/11 07:29 AM

People like Michael will protest right in the dead girls face

That's it! You are dead to me!

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/13/11 08:57 AM

I understand we have laws Lea, but where should they restrict/ban and what should they permit?
You're spot on the common sense.
I'd like there not to be guns except in the hands of law enforcement (militia) and the military, however I Know that's unrealistic in this country.

So given the alternatives, allow all hunting guns and hand guns limited to 5-6 shots and none automatic. If one can't take out an attacker (defense) in 5-6 shots - they have no business with a gun. Require safety training for all owners (just like we do to drive a car).
To me that's common sense. I'm also against carrying concealed guns... never can tell who's the "bad guy" and who isn't. I just want us to go back to a "Dodge City" mentality.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/13/11 10:26 AM

"I just want us to go back to a "Dodge City" mentality."

OK, I'm gonna guess you left out "don't." wink

I don't have any problem with your proposals. But sadly, I don't have any faith in our local, state or federal governments to approach this in a rational fashion.

But this conversation will fall by the wayside soon enough, and it won't come up again until there's another tragedy. Ain't that America?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/13/11 10:38 AM

Yep, I meant Don't want . blush

OMG - you can read my mind ! shocked

laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/13/11 11:18 AM

Only because you're a fellow Texan. wink

Wait! Damn, did I let a cat outta the bag? Sorry. laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/13/11 11:24 AM

Quote:
Wait! Damn, did I let a cat outta the bag? Sorry. laugh

OMG-- what a terrible cats-after-me ! cry
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/13/11 11:28 AM

The problem (in the US) with restrictions to ownership of firearms is the only avenue we have available for background checks is:
1) Criminal record
2) Bat$hit crazy determined by a US court

If you go see a pshrink that is covered under doctor-patient privilage and cannot be used to determine your unsuitability to own a weapon. Though even in the UK (back when private citizens could own firearms) you only needed a psych sign-off to get a gun, there were a number of cases where an individual passed the evaluation and then later was determined to be nuts (20-20 hindsight). And in the UK these crazies were the ones who caused the successive knee-jerk legislation to outlaw gun ownership in that country.

Personally I don't see issue with US legislation that would require steps to earn a firearms license, and a requirement to have a firearms license to be able to purchase a weapon. As has been noted, it's a requirment for road vehicles and aviators.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/13/11 02:50 PM

Thats good, Llwelyn.

However, ownership of fire arms?

Today - there is really no need to hunt for food - or defend yourself from Bat shiit crazy British or American Indians for that matter, as our forefathers place in the constitution (at that time). Of-course they wanted the Militia to remain to be armed as well, with what? their hunting riffles .

Today we have, people who gun down 9 year olds because they have a right to buy a gun.

There are other countries that have much much stricter gun laws and they too have - death by gun fire. But no where near the US.

Would gun laws solve the problem - NO
But would sure cut down in the deaths by guns.
Posted by: VarmintBlubber

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/13/11 03:58 PM

Carp, on that matter you and I agree.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/13/11 05:46 PM

That's exactly what a colleague of mine (from London) told me back in 1980 about the UK. Sure they have people shot . . <1% of the US, BUT there's no robbing 7-11s and drive by shootings. Those crooks that get and use guns are for big heists - not petty crap, and the murder rate is much lower than here. No party or bar shootings.

Let's face it- when it comes to guns we're very UNcivilized. blush

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/14/11 01:26 PM

Right

Someone mentioned that it is not guns that kill people - people kill.

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way ? ?.

Lets prevent certain, people from buying guns.

In this case it seems that a Wall*Mart store, saw this shooter as unstable and decided NOT to sell him bullets - sadly another different Wall*Mart Store sold him the bullets. Why from one store to the next made a big difference ?

I dunno ?
But seems to me there is a way to keep the gun laws but not sell to nut cases ? ?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/14/11 03:30 PM

Quote:
...sadly another different Wall*Mart Store sold him the bullets. Why from one store to the next made a big difference ?

someone probably meeting their sales quota ! sick

One take home message from Bowling for Columbine was that Canada has more guns /capita than we do, but they have a huge cultural difference where they actually respect each other and human life !! . . and we claim to be the "greatest" nation... I don't think we're even close any more.

Cs and Ds in humanities don't get you into Oxford !! wink
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/14/11 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
[quote]

One take home message from Bowling for Columbine was that Canada has more guns /capita than we do, but they have a huge cultural difference where they actually respect each other and human life !! . . and we claim to be the "greatest" nation... I don't think we're even close any more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_gun_ownership

This is a list of countries by number of guns divided by number of residents.

The numbers are based on the average of figures provided by the Small Arms Survey 2007, unless other sources are provided, and are an estimation based on dividing the total amount of civilian owned guns in a nation by the total population of that nation. As many people possess multiple weapons and many others possess none, this number is not a representation of the percentage of people who possess guns in each nation. Nor does it recognize that there are government supplied weapons for militia such as Switzerland. Alternatively, a civilian supplied country such as the USA, can have the data significantly distorted by owners that are collectors that have huge collections of weaponry. Another obvious variable is that a country such as Yemen where the public bearing of armament is so obvious that it results in an unreliably wide estimated range of 30% to 90%. . .

I did just a little research on your claim ". . .they have a huge cultural difference where they actually respect each other and human life !!. . . ."

I found nothing to substantiate it and I think it is a baseless claim on anyone's part.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/14/11 04:51 PM

Kate, Kate, Kate . . .

you don't understand . .

the reason they only record 31.5 / 100 people is because the rest are concealed weapons !! laugh

Ok guess what I heard about the numbers was inaccurate ! blush
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/15/11 03:53 AM

How can you really tell if he was a nut case or not?There are to many mentally ill people walking around today who should be hospitalized.The problem is when they are hospitalized they only hold them for72 hours and bingo they are outside once again in the streets.Another aspect is they have to be a danger to themselves or others to be hospitalized as I know from experience being married to a paranoid schitzo for over 16 years until she finally died 10 years ago. Mental Illness has to really be approached more forcefully today and not being shied away from.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/15/11 09:53 AM

Quote:
There are to many mentally ill people walking around today who should be hospitalized.

Yeah you said it brother . . if anyone doubts that, . . . just watch Fox News !! laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/15/11 06:31 PM

Right Jerry.

Another aspect is they have to be a danger to themselves or others to be hospitalized

Thats really the sad part to this 72 hour, turn around. I don't even think that these people, get any real help at all ? ? Many just end up being homeless and wondering around. Just seems like a revolving door.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/15/11 06:51 PM

Quote:
Thats really the sad part to this 72 hour, turn around. I don't even think that these people, get any real help at all ? ? Many just end up being homeless and wondering around. Just seems like a revolving door.

Spot on. Unfortunately, there are too many people who do not realize the severity of this situation

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 03:43 AM

You my friend are 100% correct.My wife that died was held for a measly 72 hours and than let go and bingo the rampage of her mental illness started once again. They only want to medicate you and not really get to the root of the problem which is a bummer.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 07:01 AM

Heard a psychologist the other day on the radio and she said even after all these years , people still don't accept mental diseases as a "disease", as they readily do contagious diseases...
many still fully or partially blame the patient instead of recognizing they have no more control over it than someone has of picking up a cold !

Sorry to hear about your wife.

Sadly the 72 hr turnaround is a symptom of a profit based health care system (profits of hospitals, profits of doctors, profits of insurance companies). I don't know what the answer is , but as long as it's profit driven these things will continue to happen.

I think one big mistake is they tend to make policies (both medical procedures and coverage) in lumps (groups)... example - heart attack patients get "X, Y and Z" BUT they're not all alike... some may not need Y or Z , and others may need all plus A, B and C ! But they tend to lump instead of go by the specifics of the diagnosis of the patient's symptoms. eek
AND not all patients heal at the same rate, thus 72 hrs for all is stupid !! . . some might need 48 and some a week ! . . again, I think it's mostly driven by profits.
Posted by: Jashue

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 07:13 AM

Speaking of mental illness: why has no one considered the possibility that having the desire to own a gun in the first place is a sort of illness? Seriously-- what is the fascination with guns? I see a lot of people trying to tie it to some stupid romantic idealization of America's past, but when you boil it down, it's pretty absurd.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 08:15 AM

"why has no one considered the possibility that having the desire to own a gun in the first place is a sort of illness?"

Because it isn't. I own a couple of 12 gauge shotguns. I'm not mentally ill.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 08:42 AM

Well I think Lea's point is well taken.

I have NO desire to own a gun... I do think people who feel they HAVE to have one "think different", but I wouldn't call them "ill" in any way - it's just a different mind set. And I have no problem people owning guns for hunting. I think it's a silly sport, but that's my opinion. I don't understand why someone feels great about killing something, unless it's a macho thing. But I don't think any are "ill".. .. it's probably due to their exposure (environment) and how they were raised.

If I lived in an inner city ghetto I'd probably want one, but my answer is just don't live there to begin with. Let the creeps have it ( who in their right mind would want that turf any way). wink

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 12:30 PM

Some people hunt. Some people legitimately need them for self-defense. Some people enjoy target shooting at a range. Some people are collectors or history buffs. Some just admire the technology and craftsmanship. None of those motives are insane.

I own a more than a dozen fountain pens — any one of which I could use to put someone's eye out. If that was my reason for owning them, you could question my mental stability. But I use them to write with. So I'm no more nutzo than any of the gun owner types mentioned above. Nor are they any more or less nutzo than I am.

Lea, on the other hand, is a certifiable whack-ette! laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 12:35 PM

I heard that. You are soooooo lucky you live outta range.

(I'd use the ginormous winky just to cover my ass, but he creeps me out, and besides, my ass ain't that big. )

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 12:43 PM

Heh heh heh...

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 02:21 PM

Quote:
Some people hunt.

Guns that exist for the purpose of hunting aren't usually at the forefront of discussion when the topic is gun control, so I thought it could be assumed that I was talking about handguns and assault rifles. I should have been more clear.

Quote:
Some people legitimately need them for self-defense.

This is dubious. If there were better regulation of guns then there would be less gun related crime. If there was less gun related crime, then fewer people would feel the need to arm themselves. It's a vicious cycle.
And on the subject of defense: in how many incidents involving gun related crime is there an actual shootout where someone is actually defending themselves? I honestly can't ever recall a situation reported by my local media where an armed marauder was fended off by an innocent packing heat. The whole idea of guns as defense is a lie that people unwittingly use to comfort themselves during these violent times

Quote:
Some people enjoy target shooting at a range.

Let 'em find a new hobby-- one that doesn't involve a device that can be used recklessly by the owner or be stolen by someone less virtuous. Unless I'm mistaken, a large proportion of weapons used criminally were weapons stolen by registered users. When I was a kid living in South Florida we came home from a weekend in the keys to find our house had been burglarized. Guess what was stolen? That was over twenty years ago. I wonder what the fate of those guns turned out to be? I wonder if a convenient store was ever held up with one of those guns? I wonder if a cop was ever shot with one of those guns?

Quote:
Some people are collectors or history buffs.

Riiight. And a love of history translates to a desire to own guns how? How about they come to terms with their pathological sense of machismo and collect something else?

Quote:
Some just admire the technology and craftsmanship.

Then collect fountain pens... or any of a number of things that won't rob children for their parents or parents of their children.

Quote:
None of those motives are insane.

Maybe, maybe not. But they certainly are questionable

In my opinion, most of these gun fans like their precious firearms because they feel empowered by them. Pretty sad, if you ask me!

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 03:40 PM

Ok then. We'll just tell every legal and responsible gun owner to get with your program. Whadda they know anyway (not nearly as much as you do fer sure)? Bunch o' maroons. smirk

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 03:50 PM

I never said it would be easy, and contrary to the tone of your last post I never claimed to have all the answers.

Rather than being a jerk, would you care to address any of the points I've made?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 04:12 PM

You don’t have an issue with hunters. No counter point required.

I know of numerous instances down here, where an”innocent packing heat” defended either his life, his family’s lives or his store/home. There were two such incidents in the past couple of months, I’ll go find the link. This is your opening to step in and call us all gun crazy rednecks. Knock yourself out. But this is a counter point to your argument that self-defense is dubious at best.

Target shooting ~ “Let’em find a new hobby.” Uh, dude. Seriously? And you are mistaken. Most guns that are involved in crime aren’t stolen from your family’s stash (how odd that y’all had one) ~ More likely stolen from guns stores and even more likely trafficked in from out of state or across one of our borders. Registered users ~ I’m not kidding you here ~ register their guns. Bad guys aren’t real hot for traceable stuff.

Collectors (history buffs) would be just as offended by your characterization of “their pathological sense of machismo” as you seem to be by the entire concept of gun ownership. Actually, they’d have better call to be offended.

”In my opinion, most of these gun fans like their precious firearms because they feel empowered by them. Pretty sad, if you ask me!”

Your opinion(s)? Pretty sad, if you ask me.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 04:30 PM

Quote:
This is your opening to step in and call us all gun crazy rednecks.

I wasn't going to-- because I figured it went without saying.

Quote:
Let’em find a new hobby

Yeah, seriously. Guns aren't particularly good for a healthy society.

Quote:
Collectors (history buffs) would be just as offended by your characterization of “their pathological sense of machismo”

Let 'em be offended. I'll say it again: Guns aren't particularly good for a healthy society.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 04:44 PM

Your points address themselves. You myopic POV is self-defeating. And the only jerk I see is the one dictating who is mentally ill, who has never made the police blotter in your little corner of heaven, and who should have what hobbies. Seriously, man, go back and read your own post. Not acting like you have all the answers? Really? Pffffffft.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 04:48 PM

Dude, I'm trying to explore the freaking issue. You can't see that?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 05:02 PM

OK...Jashue has his opinion.. it's not that out of whack.
Everyone take a deep breath....

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea

I heard that. You are soooooo lucky you live outta range.

(I'd use the ginormous winky just to cover my ass, but he creeps me out, and besides, my ass ain't that big. )

If those 5 little winkies can cover your ass... then I'm so blush turned on...

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 05:23 PM

You made the blanket indictment that anyone who owns guns must be mentally ill. I offered a handful of perfectly reasonable motives for legal and responsible gun ownership. Your list of rebuttals was narrow, arrogant, and elitist. And I called you on it — which earns me the title of jerk. Exploring the freaking issue?

And thanks, Nuc, but I don't need to take a deep breath. I'll just put my eye out with a fountain pen. grin

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 05:24 PM

Uh... what was that a/b taking a deep breath? whistle

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 05:27 PM

You're an [censored].

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Jashue
You're an [censored].

So much for exploring the freaking issue. Damn, dude, you haven't changed a single whiney, hissy fit cat's whisker in all these years.

OK. Anybody wanna talk about covering my ass some more?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 05:49 PM

Wow. It must suck to be you. cry
Have a nice day.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/16/11 05:50 PM

Me first! laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 03:13 AM

Again it all goes back to the final point Money.Greediness and having no sympathy who ever is sick the insurance companies do not give a dam about only profits!Plain horrible to think about.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 05:57 AM

I don't own a firearm and probably never will. Background checks and registration do not infringe on our 2nd Amendment rights, contrary to some whack jobs who believe that they should be able to buy and sell weapons to anyone without any requirements. I'm just wondering why the NRA doesn't want us to know who their major contributors are when it comes to political donations/funding.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 07:08 AM

IMHO, it's more a case of the NRA not disclosing donor information at the request of the donor. Especially in the case of corporate contributions. You may have boards of directors and/or C-suiters who support the NRA, but fear a backlash from their customer base or the media. So they donate from behind the non-disclosure barricade. It's cowardly, but unfortunately, it's their prerogative and it's legal for now.
Posted by: NCBird

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 08:15 AM

Quote:
Guns aren't particularly good for a healthy society.

Pretty tough room to try and talk in that's for sure blush
This discussion calls for Desiderata time, Kiddo Desiderata .....I understand your opinion and however realistically you and me or is that you and I wink would like to debate why we dislike and abhor about guns we both know for certain as "little green apples' that gun genie ain't going back in the bottle..... it's out and about.
I get where your coming from...and believe me so do the guys and gals here even if buried below their spirited and charming replies smile

I like this advice below...
Nothing, not even a Utopia, can necessarily make the pursuit of happiness a successful one that ends in capture. The best society can merely allow every individual to flourish in the pursuit.

DANIEL NETTLE, Happiness: The Science Behind Your Smile
I do own a gun...and I sleep just a wee bit better
sad little confession dat frown but true!!

Peace...bird!!

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 08:59 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
IMHO, it's more a case of the NRA not disclosing donor information at the request of the donor. Especially in the case of corporate contributions. You may have boards of directors and/or C-suiters who support the NRA, but fear a backlash from their customer base or the media. So they donate from behind the non-disclosure barricade. It's cowardly, but unfortunately, it's their prerogative and it's legal for now.

If you're worried about a customer/stock holder backlash, why do it? I'm all for total transparency, so we know who's who.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 10:22 AM

Ask them. I'm all for complete transparency, too. And for the record, I'm not pro-gun or pro-NRA. But I'm not totally anti-gun, either. As has already been said, that horse done left the barn long ago, and the implications and heavy lifting required to get it back into the barn all but preclude any such action.

As for a world without guns, I guess you'd have to go back to just before the Chinese invented gun powder. Imagine a world that never developed explosive or percussive technologies. Now imagine that all the wars that have been fought since that first canon appeared had been fought with arrows, spears, rocks, and pots of flaming oil. What would today's world look like. Would any of us be here? Would the map look as it does today?

Wishing there were no guns at all is terribly nobel. And romantic, too. But getting there after having been here for so many centuries? That's about as easy as imagining the stuff I just mentioned.

This post brought to you by the jerk recently promoted to [censored] laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 11:06 AM

Ask them. I'm all for complete transparency, too.

It goes beyond just the NRA to all PACs and corporations. If ya got sumpin' to hide, ya don't need to be involved at all.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 11:11 AM

Ahh, but you wear it well. grin

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 11:35 AM

Yer lucky I'm wearing anything at all! shocked blush shocked

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 11:48 AM

Yer lucky I'm wearing anything at all! shocked blush shocked

I'll refrain from opening iChat or FaceTime, then. laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 11:57 AM

Take out gunpowder and you not only eliminate guns, but all of the non-violent uses of explosives. Besides it's fun to watch old buildings and chimneys getting all blowed up... down... whatever.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Llewelyn
Take out gunpowder and you not only eliminate guns, but all of the non-violent uses of explosives. Besides it's fun to watch old buildings and chimneys getting all blowed up... down... whatever.

And fireworks!

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 01:40 PM

Right Lea.

People say that guns don't kill people - people kill.

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way - In-act laws that ban people from guns, instead of banning guns as a whole?

This last nut case fell through the system <-- that is what we need to look at. He should have been put on the no gun buy list.

Simply;
Don't ban guns - rather ban nut cases from buying them.

IMO
I still believe that certain guns should be banned. That is anything automatic, that is way past hunting or even for defense. Now maybe a gang banger would need one laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 01:58 PM

I agree, but One problem with automatics, some guns are not automatic but can be converted to be automatic by filing some part off or removing a part etc - I say then ban those too ! Anything that is or can be - remove them. Limit clips to 5-6 rounds... max !

If Loughner had gotten the 2nd clip in there could have been 50-60 people shot and maybe 15-20 dead !

I say don't ban all guns, but lets cut the fire power capability way down - so if a nut by some chance gets one and goes on a rampage, the damage is limited. Also make laws so many agencies can share info... schools with law enforcement - all law enforcement (fed, state, local) all tied together.
If they have a national data base for child molesters, and no fly lists, we can make a National List for those banned from gun purchasing. That's fair and it's logical. That way is doesn't stop hunters, nor those who feel the need to have one for protection. Also if you're limited to 5-6 shots and want one for protection - I'd assume you'd hone your sharpshooting skills. Sure you can have 2-3 or more guns, but at the same time for protection, you'd like to remove the threat in as few shots as possible. Wouldn't that be the case ?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 02:08 PM

I agree, but One problem with automatics, some guns are not automatic but can be converted to be automatic by filing some part off or removing a part etc - I say then ban those too ! Anything that is or can be - remove them. Limit clips to 5-6 rounds... max !

If Loughner had gotten the 2nd clip in there could have been 50-60 people shot and maybe 15-20 dead !

I say don't ban all guns, but lets cut the fire power capability way down - so if a nut by some chance gets one and goes on a rampage, the damage is limited. Also make laws so many agencies can share info... schools with law enforcement - all law enforcement (fed, state, local) all tied together.
If they have a national data base for child molesters, and no fly lists, we can make a National List for those banned from gun purchasing. That's fair and it's logical. That way is doesn't stop hunters, nor those who feel the need to have one for protection. Also if you're limited to 5-6 shots and want one for protection - I'd assume you'd hone your sharpshooting skills. Sure you can have 2-3 or more guns, but at the same time for protection, you'd like to remove the threat in as few shots as possible. Wouldn't that be the case ?

Here's thought. If someone wants a fully automatic handgun or rifle for their personal collection - to admire the workmanship - permanently plug the barrel - make it un-fireable.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 04:45 PM

Quote:
. .permanently plug the barrel - make it un-fireable.

Works for me Michael !!

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 05:55 PM

If you want to plug something, start with beer bottles. Because for every poor schmuck killed by gunfire each year, two are killed by drunk drivers.

It's about as easy to stop one as it is the other. And we all know how willing us 'Mericans are to give our simple pleasures and little indulgences. Forgive me, my friend, but the phrase "tilting at windmills" comes to mind.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 06:00 PM

If you want to plug something, start with beer bottles. Because for every poor schmuck killed by gunfire each year, two are killed by drunk drivers.

It's about as easy to stop one as it is the other. And we all know how willing us 'Mericans are to give our simple pleasures and little indulgences. Forgive me, my friend, but the phrase "tilting at windmills" comes to mind.

Is that you, Sancho? laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 06:06 PM

Well Steve - I tried that (plugging beer bottles) but I had to stop after 6 !

everything went dizzy ! laugh

I hear ya, but like Michael I see NO need for automatic weapons. . .except to kill a helluva lot of people very quickly. Guess we'll just disagree on this one , pal.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 06:11 PM

I hear ya, but like Michael I see NO need for automatic weapons. . .except to kill a helluva lot of people very quickly.

Can I get a tactical nuke on eBay? (you know, for self defense?) crazy

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I hear ya, but like Michael I see NO need for automatic weapons. . .except to kill a helluva lot of people very quickly.

Can I get a tactical nuke on eBay? (you know, for self defense?) crazy

Yes, but ONLY 1/2 megaton, Michael...
there are laws limiting the crater size in your county's zoning regulations !! wink

BUT Don't be upset Michael - those laws are being heard by the SCOTUS for infringement on your 2nd Amendment rights ! laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 06:44 PM

What makes you think we disagree? I'd be just as happy to see guns — every kind of gun — gone. But I don't have to tell you what a cultural upheaval that would be in this country. There are some things that just don't go away easily. This is one of 'em, I'm afraid.

And gun laws? If I can bastardize a familiar phrase: Guns don't break laws. People do.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/17/11 07:09 PM

Thats a good one, steve,
However people who drink beer don't ((intentionally)) drive out and Murder people - like those who buy a Glock 19 with extended clips. I mean like I am going to buy a SUV because I want to run over people, while being drunk laugh

I do agree that the laws need an adjustment.
Not aimed at the guns - rather the people who buy them. That needs changing.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/18/11 03:12 AM

People kill people and people with guns do it faster and there should be regulation in every state pertaining to gun control.This is getting out of hand.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/18/11 03:52 AM

What's out of hand is the power and money of the lobbies. If this were Arakis, it would be Washington's Spice. The problem with the gun is that control is not the answer, because some people will always find a way around those controls, and those people are the ones most likely to abuse them. The answer is NO guns. Period. Not for the police, not for the military, not for recreation, not for museums... Nada. Zip. Zilch. Non-existimente!

Yeah, right. Problem no. 1 is that guns, sadly, are so tightly woven into the world's culture and history, totally eliminating them would be like removing a day from the week. Good luck with that.

The unhappy truths are that laws will always be broken or circumnavigated, and the repercussions of total elimination — jobs, law enforcement, national security — are vast and deep. And how do you deprive the many because of the abuses of the few. Guns are not like drugs, alcohol and cigarettes, which only have a downside (and they haven't been eliminated either). Like it or not, guns do have an upside which I hinted at above. All this wrist-wringing, as well-intended as it is, is just so much folly.

I completely agree with the anti-gun sentiments here. But I recognize the vexing impracticality of the idealism.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/18/11 06:34 AM

What's out of hand is the underlying problems with society that would make people want to kill in the first place.

You want to stop people killing people? Tackle that, instead of using a band aid like gun control and sweeping the real problems under the carpet because they're difficult to tackle.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/18/11 12:09 PM

OK, well I'm glad we agree... I think we're both realists- it's just not going to happen in this country - ever ! crazy

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/21/11 01:17 AM

I understand we have laws Lea, but where should they restrict/ban and what should they permit?
You're spot on the common sense.
I'd like there not to be guns except in the hands of law enforcement (militia) and the military, however I Know that's unrealistic in this country.

So given the alternatives, allow all hunting guns and hand guns limited to 5-6 shots and none automatic. If one can't take out an attacker (defense) in 5-6 shots - they have no business with a gun. Require safety training for all owners (just like we do to drive a car).
To me that's common sense. I'm also against carrying concealed guns... never can tell who's the "bad guy" and who isn't. I just want us to go back to a "Dodge City" mentality.

I don't see the need to restrict the magazines . Regular folks see the need for larger clips just as law enforcement does. Better protection. Lots of places also restrict laser sight. Why? Don't laser sights allow better accuracy?

Statistics have shown that homicides by concealed permit holders are less than 0.5 %

Dave

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/21/11 03:41 AM

Quote:
Regular folks see the need for larger clips
Why? How? For what freakin' purpose??? I recognize that some people have a legitimate need for handguns for self-defense. But extended magazines? C'mon, man. Maybe if they have some fantasy about firefights with armies of ninjas or terrorists. But in the real world? Give me a big honkin' break, will you!

Who would need that kind of firepower? Law enforcement — no argument. Military — no brainer. Professional security — maybe. But there's nothing "regular" about John Q. Public schlepping around a Glock with a 30-round clip. YEESH! mad crazy

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/21/11 08:03 AM

Notsure about the armies of ninjas.... but maybe they're scared of the armies of zombies - now they're downright scary, and with the dumbing down of 'merica it can only be a matter of time!! smile

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/21/11 08:04 AM

I agree, I don't see the need either.. for most, If someone breaks into your house and you have a gun with 5 or 6 shots - the first one you fire, the violator realizes you're armed and probably 98% of the time their next thought is how to get OUT. Most don't want to face another with a gun (they don't know your skill) - they like the odds stacked 100 to 1 in their favor - not even steven. (no pun intended) So why does anyone need 30 shots before reloading. If they're that bad a shot, they need serious training. grin

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/21/11 04:08 PM

Notsure about the armies of ninjas.... but maybe they're scared of the armies of zombies - now they're downright scary, and with the dumbing down of 'merica it can only be a matter of time!! smile

LOL

When my car would not start - the first ting I did was look in my mirror - for Zombies laugh After all thats the only time when cars don't start laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/21/11 04:16 PM

If someone breaks into your house

Most times they are breaking in (because) you have a gun inside the house that they want to steal.

Plus.
I can only talk for myself - I would find it impossible to shoot another human. I assume most gun owners don't have that will power either? ? nor training.

Talking about the average MoM, Dad, Joe.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/21/11 06:17 PM

Get real, dood! There ain't no such thing as Zombies. I know that for a fa...

Ok, so maybe... shocked

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/22/11 10:12 AM

Why do law enforcement or military need larger mags? The reasons they do is the same reason regular folk do.

I have been vacant from this discussion and I started the thread. So I will get back in on it.

As for making laws. If one is to have a law, make sure that the law will prevent occurrence of act forcwhich the law was designed. Then make sure the law does not place a burden on regular law abiding folks. Also it would help if the folks writing the law would know something about thesubject in hand and not just hear about it.

Don't have knee jerk laws either.

As an example. Power tool or lawn morer safety : look at the many times stupid regulations put on lawn mowers because some people are too stupid to handle one safely. Some thinking itis safe to clean grass from around the blade while it is running. So now we have Slovenes Mickey mouse contrivances to stop the motor. Sae with power saws. Many times thes doodads make them less safe.

Just an example on laws.

As for getting a gun to do some mayhem. Me, I am pretty law abiding . I am not sure I could find someone to get me an illegal , non-registered, cold. Gun. I just don't have the connections. But there are those that do have the connections. No matter what gunswere in acted now. A guy bent on malfeasance could most likely find a gun or other weapon for the job. Like bombs. I have no idea how how to make a bomb but I know people who do. Had a brother who worked with explosives at a local cement plant for example.

I do not know the connections this dip wad in Arizona had but he could have got around any gun laws he had to. So passing a law would not havevprevented this tragedy.

Dave

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/22/11 11:11 AM

I'd like you to state your rationale for the possession of extended magazines by "regular folk". I'd really like to know — in a non-fantasy Charles Bronson Clint Eastwood tin foil hat context — what on this blue planet "regular folk" need with the ability to squeeze off 30 rounds without reloading. Please, enlighten me.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/22/11 03:56 PM

Get real, dood! There ain't no such thing as Zombies. I know that for a fa...

Ok, so maybe... shocked

Watch out for the guy on the left laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/22/11 04:02 PM

Dave

The problems is not with the gun laws.

The real problem is allowing , certain unstable people to buy guns. Its not the gun per say. Rather we should be looking at, nut jobs and not the gun.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/22/11 04:36 PM

The mental health issue is only part of the problem. There also needs to be some common sense legislation limiting access to ordinance that is over the top. Not banning guns, but taking the over out of overkill. Yes, you can say that not guns, but people kill people. But if you subscribe to that premise, it follows that people with extended magazines or assault weapons kill even more people. It doesn't wash.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/22/11 05:16 PM

What needs to be done before we have that ban is to determine how many people are injured by guns during the later part of an extended mag. If not many then we sure don't need another law.

Most lawmakers who want to make an antigun law just want to have a law with their name on it.

IMO

Dave

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/22/11 07:15 PM

The mental health issue is only part of the problem. There also needs to be some common sense legislation limiting access to ordinance that is over the top. Not banning guns, but taking the over out of overkill. Yes, you can say that not guns, but people kill people. But if you subscribe to that premise, it follows that people with extended magazines or assault weapons kill even more people. It doesn't wash.

Right Steve

Thats what I am saying

We are looking at this problem the wrong way.

Not about more gun laws - rather about banning certain people from buying guns.

This perp already has displayed mental behavior that even a Wall*Mart did not want to sell him bullets <-- yet another one did.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/22/11 07:36 PM

You still haven't answered my question. Explain, please, why "regular folk" need 30-round clips.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/22/11 07:57 PM

No, I'm not saying what you're saying. No ordinary citizen — 8 to 80, blind crippled or crazy — needs access to excessive firepower. We have speed limits on our highways. Speed limits don't prevent you from driving. They are simply meant to deter you from driving faster than what is safe — for you and others around you. A ban on extended magazines does not prevent you from owning a gun. It is meant to deter you from causing unnecessary harm with the gun you have. That's got nothing to do with mental health.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/23/11 06:26 AM

Sadly some of these far right nuts want lots of guns and fire power in fear of the Federal Govt getting too authoritative .. remember all the signs at the Tea Party meetings about the" Tree of Liberty being watered with blood"? and some bozos (Tin soldiers) wearing side arms ?

Their delusion is that with their little "pop guns" they could never take on the US Army, Navy, and Air Force... they'd be taken out in a heart beat. Even if they had 1000 round clips. It's false "security" and rationale ! crazy

I think they've been watching too many Rambo movies !! laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/30/11 08:50 AM

It's a matter of convenience for the most part. Like anything else. If it makes what one does easier then thatbis a plus. As an example, digital cameras or any cameras. Why do folks need 36 exposure film cartridges when 24 will do or even 12. Why not just have the old slides that had film on each slide. More is just more convenient.

Now in the digital ages we have 64G memory cards. Why do we need so large a card? Just more convenient to some. When i shoot with my Nikon d200 with a 10mp , only want 4g as I don't want my whole shoot on just one card in case te card goes bad and I lose the whole thing, but many folks do want those extended cards.

Same with mags for a handgun. As it is the anti-gun crowd wants us to equate anyone who has an extended magazine as shootemup killer. I think it is them that have been watching too many Rambo style movies. In fact, that is very much it. That's where they get their crazy arse ideas.

Dave

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/30/11 09:12 AM

Sorry MrB, I like and respect you a lot, but film and memory cards don't result in innocent peoples death. Besides studies show the best defensive weapon to protect your home is a 12 Gauge shotgun not a semi - with 31 shots. You don't even have to be a good shot with the former. . . like hand grenades and horse shoes - close is good enough ! frown

I've never heard of anyone going on a killing rampage with a 12 gauge. crazy

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/30/11 10:20 AM

So this is why people need guns

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/30/11 10:47 AM

yeah - I heard about that . .. so sad and senseless. frown

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/30/11 01:03 PM

I'm sorry, pard, but you just jumped the shark big time with that response. A matter of convenience? You want mass murder to be fukkin' convenient? You compare photography to killing? Oh, wait, they're both referred to as "shooting". Silly me.

Oy vey... crazy

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/30/11 01:03 PM

Guess it is just another isolated incident with an isolated whacko with an isolated gun.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/30/11 05:23 PM

When someone invents a gun that only shoots backward, I will be in favor of high-capacity magazines.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/30/11 09:11 PM

Love it. Steve for President!
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/31/11 12:03 AM

Just curious - does the 'right to bear arms' include bullets? smile

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/31/11 03:06 AM

Guns kill why would you have to own a gun period.These weapons are in the wrong hands and some senators are right by regulating these gun laws I agree with them completely.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 01/31/11 05:24 AM

I forget where, but some people are trying to get a local law passed so members can carry guns to church !!

How insane is that ?

Is that the 11th commandment ?

"Thou ahalt pack heat !"
laugh
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/01/11 04:54 PM

Well, it just says there's a right to bear arms -- doesn't mention what kind you have a right to bear, though ... So, since there seems to be an emphasis on the writers of the Constitution, I suggest the Government issue every citizen a colonial-era musket. Everything else, though, is off limits ;-)

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/01/11 05:54 PM

Yes , yes.
I agree

I mean back then you had to - well shoot ya own food.
Then there were them murdering Indians - ya had to defend yourself.

Not to mention them pesky British, who murdered everything including puppies.

So yeah, you needed protection back then - plus the young country did not have a military budget to think of at the time. You brought your own gun, to the revelation.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/02/11 03:24 AM

Quote:
You brought your own gun, to the revelation.

laugh laugh laugh E carpus plurimus! laugh laugh laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/02/11 03:28 AM

This is really getting out of control now.Guns to church! What would Jesus think about that? This crap started with the Tea party and Obama being the first Black African American President of the US.This is a cancer spreading now.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/02/11 05:47 AM

" . . . and Obama being the first Black African American President of the US.

At first I thought, yep, you've nailed it. And you have, jerry. But then I thought ~ The fact that the vast majority of the country doesn't care about his color? Says more good about us as a nation than the bad that the TP says. That's good. We've still got so far to go when it comes to race in the US, but damn . . . we DID elect a black man. I'm feeling pretty proud ~ The shame belongs to the TP.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/02/11 03:21 PM

Yeah I thought was sacrilegious !

Besides who wants to bring a gun to a lightening-bolt fight ? wink

I actually think it started before Obama, but he just made them more visceral and open... along with pushing from airheads like Palin, Bachman, Angle... etc.

Their platform is "Emboldening Idiots!" grin

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/03/11 07:10 AM

If it's okay to carry concealed, since those with permits are involved with very few homicides, why is it Ipso facto insane to carry in church?

As always if a guy is determined to cause mayhem at a church, a little thing like legality would not stand in his way.

Dave

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/03/11 02:54 PM

If I read you correctly, you're saying "Sh!t happens", so let's give Sh!t a helping hand." Is that it?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/03/11 03:47 PM

Like I mentioned
We need to stop crazy people from buying guns.

A good example;
Is that mother who just shot and killed her 2 teen agers, because they mouth off.

Currently a felon is put on the No Gun list.

Her case, they were going to consoling and I guess anger management classes. Which is not a felony.

Sooooo
If ya going through (anger) management classes - you should not be able to buy a gun - DuH

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/03/11 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
If it's okay to carry concealed, since those with permits are involved with very few homicides, why is it Ipso facto insane to carry in church?

As always if a guy is determined to cause mayhem at a church, a little thing like legality would not stand in his way.

Dave

People can do what they want, but I think HE might be think it inapproopriate... preaching peace and love but packing heat ! crazy

What you say could happen but what are the odds... it's like preparing to win the lottery.

Maybe it's me but IF I got shot and killed in church, I hope HE'd be very sympathetic and I'd have eternal life...
when you're talking eternity -this nanosec on earth doesn't mean crap if you get there. whistle

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/03/11 06:48 PM

You seem to think we're on the same page, you and I. But it ain't so. You keep beating the don't let crazy people have guns drum, and I'm asking why extended magazines and other über ordinance should be made available to Joe Schmoe. Sane people can kill, too. The real issue isn't mental health. It's the laws (and their vigorous enforcement) that are needed to keep such technology off of the public retail shelves.

Your confusing factors with issues. Mental health — in many of these cases is a factor. The issue is the alarming availability of overkill merchandise.
Posted by: katlpablo

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/03/11 06:59 PM

Please delete.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/03/11 07:14 PM

Steve
I know we are not on the same page - ever since you jumped on mine.

I said before, maybe you missed it in other threads that extended clips were illegal at one time. That Bush law lapsed under Obama.

As for
Automatic weapons - I really don't see where people need to defends themselves - a bird gun would do just fine. Unless they fear the government at which point, is well pointless.

Mental Health - is the main factor.
People in their right minds is not going to buy weapons to begin with. People who use their guns for hunting, is another story, even if you think in these days there are stores all over the US (where you can buy meat) and be cheaper than buying bullets let alone gas to get the happy hunting grounds.

btw - even hunters shoot themselves.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/03/11 08:09 PM

"People in their right minds is not going to buy weapons to begin with."

Then Little Sister and I are not in our right minds. Neither was my dad and granddads, one grandmother, two uncles, one aunt, a good number of close friends . . .

Edit: Little Sister has never hunted, I've only shot dove. The one aunt didn't hunt either.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/04/11 03:50 AM

Quote:
I know we are not on the same page - ever since you jumped on mine.
Give us this day our Daily Carpism, laugh

Quote:
Mental Health - is the main factor.
It's a factor. I said that. But just one of many. So what else is new.

Quote:
People in their right minds is not going to buy weapons to begin with.
What Lea said. And let me add that I've been a licensed hand gun owner in the past, and have recently entertained the thought of doing it again. So I guess that puts me out of my right mind, too. *droooooooooooool* sick crazy
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/04/11 09:31 AM

To one of your earlier points, I think you could very easily go down the list of things that the former federal assault weapons ban covered and wonder why any legal gun owner would need any of the things on that list.

Why on earth would a person with a legitimate claim to a firearm need a flash suppressant or a silencer? Why the hell does someone using a pistol for self-defense need anything on that list?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/04/11 09:57 AM

Beats me. Years ago, I owned a .380 semi-auto that held 7 in the clip and one in the chamber. And I had a .38 snubby wheel gun that had a 5-round cylinder. Never felt that I would ever need more (and, natcherly, prayed that I never needed any).

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/04/11 11:35 AM

One thing I have heard from firearms experts is that many folks are living in cloud cuckoo land when it comes to using their weapon in close quarters to protect their homes. Normally they're shooting at a gun range, in bright light, with ear protectors on. When it comes to the real thing and you're crouched in the bedroom with your handgun waiting for the guy who just broke in, you're probably going to get 1 good shot off - then you're pretty much deaf and blind.

Given that maybe a flash suppressant & silencer is a handy thing to have.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/04/11 12:45 PM

Thats what I mean by people in the right mind.

People in general will not kill another human being, even in self defense. In the scenario of someone that breaks into your bedroom, you only have a second to pull the trigger and most people can't kill.

Hence there was many cases where gun owners had their own gun used against them.

It takes a certain mind set to point a gun and pull the trigger, knowing your are going to kill someone.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/04/11 01:17 PM

"someone that breaks into your bedroom, you only have a second to pull the trigger and most people can't kill."

I don't think it crosses the mind as "I am now going to kill." It's more like fight or flight ~ and flight isn't an option. You make it sound as though there's deliberation about self-defense. It's not a decision, it's a reaction.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/04/11 01:29 PM

I dunno Lea

I don't own a gun for that reason.
You have to think that owning a gun for self defense at some point, in owning the gun your gonna have to think about using the gun, to kill someone. It has to cross a mind to buy the gun in the first place. It crossed my mind so I never bought one.

There are non lethal means to self defense btw.

Anyway.
I am not against gun ownership

I am against, guns in the wrong hands - like the mother who killed her 2 teens, she was certainly not in the right mind.

I am against, over kill.
Who needs a machine gun or extended clips - not for hunting or self defense? ?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/04/11 01:40 PM

"I am against, over kill.
Who needs a machine gun or extended clips - not for hunting or self defense? ?"

With that, I agree, completely.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/04/11 02:18 PM

Quote:
People in general will not kill another human being, even in self defense.

Hmmm.. I have no problem popping someone right between the eyes if he has broken into my house and intends my family harm. Having said that.. I don't own a gun.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/04/11 03:53 PM

Remind me to knock first laugh
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/04/11 07:45 PM

A silencer for home protection? I'm sorry, but that's the most labored rationalization I have ever heard.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 05:29 AM

Lea the problem really here is that President Obama is picked apart by these GOP people that is inexcusable to begin with and the underlying reason is that he is a Black African American which they will never accept being a leader of the USA.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 06:44 AM

I know that's true, jerry. I look at that kind of hate this way ~ Always has been and probably always will be. It's taught. Children aren't born bigots. They're raised that way.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 07:03 AM

NOT directed at YOU Steve:

Quote:
I am against, guns in the wrong hands - like the mother who killed her 2 teens, she was certainly not in the right mind.

The problem is they are NOT in the "wrong hands" until they kill someone ! (unless self defense) THEN it's too late ! This mother was probably law biding up until the second she shot her kids.
Now some may say give gun buyers psychological tests before they can own. Well, they may be perfectly sane then and years later go "crazy" ! crazy

I think the best is to let them have 5-6 shot pistols and all the hunting rifles they want (limited shots). NO semi- or full automatics, and certainly no 50 caliber rifles ! That satisfies the 2nd Amendment (otherwise as some one suggested issue muskets), but limits fire power so they can shoot 20-30 people at one setting easily, like Tucson or Va Tech.

IF someone wants to argue they need 30 shots in self defense- then buy 5-6 handguns. That way if the Tucson idiot walked out in public with 6 handguns - he'd stick out like a sore thumb . . and his pants would probably fall down ! Problem solved ! laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 08:02 AM

"That way if the Tucson idiot walked out in public with 6 handguns - he'd stick out like a sore thumb . . and his pants would probably fall down ! Problem solved !"

Love it! I'm not surprised at how clever your solution is, though. We did vote you in as Prez awhile back. Obviously for good reason. wink

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 12:23 PM

Children aren't born bigots. They're raised that way.

Very well said Lea.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 12:36 PM

The problem is they are NOT in the "wrong hands" until they kill someone ! (unless self defense) THEN it's too late ! This mother was probably law biding up until the second she shot her kids.

Thats the problem Dave, she was law abiding. She bought a 38 revolver, not an auto with extended clips.

Where the system failed was due to she was not a felon, she did go through anger management classes for beating her daughter up 2 years before. Hence I believe she should have been placed on the NO Gun List at that time - after all if you have (anger problems) to begin with you should not have a gun. Makes sense to me.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 03:38 PM

Steve- I heartily agree, but then you try to set up a system of checks and the Gun Lobby and NRA screams 2nd Amendment infringement ! NO common sense. mad

Today, there are still Gun Shows where people can buy guns- NO questions asked ( well except - "show me the money !!") crazy

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 03:53 PM

Right David

But we can tighten the law just a little bit more, beyond the No Felon law.
If you are in any kind of (anger management classes) should be a, No Gun Law.

It won't stop gun violence - but in this case of this one mother, it could have stopped it ?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 05:02 PM

And you would enforce this how? My gawd, carp, the bureaucrats can't keep track of so-called registered pedo's! Half the time, they turn up living across the street from elementary schools!

If you have an anger problem and go off on someone and a gun isn't handy, you'll use whatever you can get your hands on. Feces will occur no matter what. The key is to make it as hard as possible to do harm. Which is why it's what is controlled and hopefully kept off the open market even more than to whom it's sold.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 06:18 PM

Steve,
I don't think anger management classes qualify, but what if they have a police record of violent behavior? Shouldn't those civil records be connected some how to a data base of gun purchasers? Sure won't prevent all murders but even some is a victory... saving 50 lives out of 100 is better than losing all 100. I think that's our point.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 06:53 PM

Dave, I'm not saying these aren't valid points. But let's be realistic. How enforceable and trackable is it? Look at drunk driving fatalities. In the majority of cases, the perp was driving w/o a license, had a dozen priors, and should never have been behind the wheel. Obviously, you can't outlaw cars so this schmuck can't drive, but you get my point, yes?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 07:04 PM

Quote:
How enforceable and trackable is it?

Probably about as enforceable and as effective as a restraining order-zero.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 07:30 PM

Glad to see somebody gets the point. Yeesh!

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/05/11 08:13 PM

Well there's another thing that should be cracked down on ! grin

Make no mistake Steve, I hear you . . and I know it's tough, but do we have laws or not ?

Are we going to enforce them or not ? OR let it be a"free for all" ?? eek

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/06/11 04:45 AM

No, Dave. We don't have laws. Not anymore, that is. Not the kind of laws that at least dampen accessibility to products designed to kill in numbers. And when we did have those laws, they were easier to enforce than keeping track of every nut case in the country. I'm not saying WHO has access isn't important — it is. But what's more important — and more tangible, is physical deterrence: making access more difficult by shutting off the output valve at the source.

Deterrence is the key word. For ten years I handled the ad account for Kryptonite Locks. Never once did they claim that they could prevent bike theft. Rather they could deter thieves by slowing them down with a product that took more time to defeat. Result: fewer bike thefts within any set of criteria. Fewer, not none. But a reduction none-the-less.

If you start by making overkill harder to achieve, you measurably decrease the ability of anyone — regardless of mental/emotional state — to harm others. You and carp seem to think I'm saying only the what matters, and forget the who. Not so. But I am saying that you have to start by taking the most efficient path — and that, IMHO, makes what the bigger priority.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/06/11 07:11 AM

Well I actually want both - all semi-and fully automatic weapons banned, eliminate extended clips- limit firepower to 5-6 shots and screening for those who buy legal guns (pistols and hunting rifles). BUT I don't think it'll happen no matter how many Va Techs and Tucsons we have... just inflames the loonies to justify having MORE guns. crazy

Thank God they can't get nukes ! wink

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/06/11 07:30 AM

Full auto, extended clips, speed-loaders for revolvers — anything like that — yeah, ban all consumer sales. A ban on semi-auto will never gain traction, unfortunately, because if you do that, you may as well ban all handguns. And you know how successful that will be. Even a universal limit on magazine capacity is a slippery slope.

What you're suggesting are consumer and professional (meaning law enforcement, security, and military) versions of these products. That becomes a manufacturing boondoggle, and I hate to say this, an economic issue. Better to simply block certain products from consumer markets than to have different versions of everything.

The problem is that guns are so much a part of American culture. You may as well try to ban pasta in Italy!

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/06/11 02:09 PM

Simply goes into a data base, the same one that felons goes into - Its not that hard Steve.

Hence why there is a 3 day wait to buy guns. Gun sellers apply for the permit, it will come back yes or no.

Like I said this woman who killed her kids is the perfect example of why to keep guns out of the wrong hands. Sure she could have used a knife but she would have done that before buying and waiting for a gun.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/06/11 02:19 PM

Quote:
Simply goes into a data base
And we've seen how effective those are.

Quote:
Its not that hard Steve.
So how come they rarely work? Your expectations are noble. But set way too high.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/06/11 02:44 PM

They do work steve.

If you are a felon you have to steal a gun or buy one off the black market.

As for the woman and Longner, they both were clearly unstable, both have encounters with the law - just never convicted as a felon. Hence they could still buy guns.

All I am saying is make buying guns much more difficult.
If you have been in a mental hospital or had to go to anger management classes, you should be put on a no gun list the same one that felons are on.

We already do the same thing for DWI driver, we yank their license.

There also should be better Federal laws, since guns laws between states very greatly. In some states all you need to do is go to a Gun Show (convention of sorts) buy a gun and walk out in less than 5 minutes, no back ground check, felon or non felon.

Also
Mexico has much much stricter gun laws than the US. They simply export drugs and import guns from the US, it is that simple to buy guns. Kinda ridicules when you think about.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/06/11 02:49 PM

Quote:
All I am saying is make buying guns much more difficult.

And...
Quote:
We already do the same thing for DWI driver, we yank their license.
Now I know you're just skimming what I've written.

Fuhgettaboutit, man. I'm done carrying on a conversation with myself.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/06/11 03:10 PM

LOL you to funny.

Skimming ?

Steve
Putting a stop on extended clips and auto guns (over kill) does absolutely nothing from preventing guns getting into the wrong hands in the first place.

I see your point.
If you don't see my point, I understand.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/06/11 05:14 PM

This head on desk moment brought to you by Gerbers Strained Babies.

Over and completely out.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/06/11 05:18 PM

Yeah I think we've beat this "dead horse" until it was Ken-L-ration !! laugh

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/07/11 04:41 AM

Come on Steve.. just one more.. yew kin dew eeetttt!

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/07/11 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By: newkojak
A silencer for home protection? I'm sorry, but that's the most labored rationalization I have ever heard.

That's not actually what I was saying, just most folks don't realise how loud a gun is in enclosed space without ear protectors on. That said, your home protector would probably benefit from the loud bang - sure they'll be disoriented, but so will the bad guy, who might also be scared enough to run off, and the noise should attract law enforcement

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/07/11 06:09 AM

We don't do the same from DWI. Once someone has been caught DWI then they lose their licence. What you're suggesting with preventing folks from buying guns if they had anger management or patient at a mental institution would be akin to enforcing - anyone caught intoxicated in public or enrolled in an AA 12 step program should not be issued with a drivers license or be allowed to buy a car.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/07/11 01:01 PM

We don't do the same from DWI. Once someone has been caught DWI then they lose their license. What you're suggesting with preventing folks from buying guns if they had anger management or patient at a mental institution would be akin to enforcing - anyone caught intoxicated in public or enrolled in an AA 12 step program should not be issued with a drivers license or be allowed to buy a car.

Humm - well yes and no.

Should a DWI person with (no) license , be able to buy a car <-- ahhh no.
Certainly if that person gets their license back <- then yes.

Should a mental patient or anger management person be able to buy a gun <- Ahh No.
Certainly if they can get a clean bill of mental health <-- then yes.

Convicted felons, cannot buy guns or even own a business, their pretty much screwed for life. Even if their crime did not even involved using a gun.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/07/11 01:45 PM

But isn't there grades of mental patient? Or are we just saying that 90% of hollywood shouldn't have a gun, because they all see a therapist twice/week! Whatever happens, you're going down a similar road to the old UK requirement for a firearms license, you needed signoff from a psychiatrist and senior police officer to be allowed to get a firearms license - but then things fell apart, if you then went nuts or could hide it in the short interview with the psychiatrist, there was no recertification requirements, or at the very least it was issued pretty much on a nod and a wink.

I would agree with you if firearms license was akin to aircraft pilot licensing - for which you need frequent medical certification, where in the case of firearms license you would need continuing mental certification. Unfortunately in the US, such requirement just ain't gonna fly.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/07/11 02:19 PM

I would agree with you if firearms license was akin to aircraft pilot licensing - for which you need frequent medical certification, where in the case of firearms license you would need continuing mental certification. Unfortunately in the US, such requirement just ain't gonna fly.

Well thats the thing, there is not a real restriction in the US, aside from being a felon.
Any nut case whack job can by a gun, almost anywhere.

Of-course we cannot ask the gun sellers to be psychiatrist, thats not gonna work. However one Wall*Mart did refuse to sell Longher bullets <-- so theres something to that.

As for the woman who killed her teens, she was on a court ordered anger management classes <- that is when she should have been place on a no gun list. When the courts get involved thats a no brainer to me.

Its not the end all solution but it is a step in the right direction.

Consider that in many other countries you can buy a gun - just that they are really more restrictive than the US. You still keep your right to own a gun. H3ll we even test for a driver license because it is a 2 ton weapon - do we test anyone for a gun license ? ?

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/08/11 05:19 AM

Steve???.....
/crickets....

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/08/11 05:54 AM

Of-course we cannot ask the gun sellers to be psychiatrist, thats not gonna work. However one Wall*Mart did refuse to sell Longher bullets <-- so theres something to that.

And my question would be where did that salesperson/manager get their psychology degree, what are their qualifications to judge someones sanity?

An old friend of mine got his speeding ticket thrown out of court because the officer had added a comment to the ticket "the driver was driving at an insane speed". The officer was asked what qualifications he had to judge the sanity of my friend, and as it turned out he didn't have any. The judge dismissed the ticket, and warned my friend not to appear before him ever again on related charges.

Re: Makes me want to by another gun - 02/08/11 04:09 PM

And my question would be where did that salesperson/manager get their psychology degree, what are their qualifications to judge someones sanity?

Hence why I said above when the courts get involved.
Like I mentioned that the woman was ordered by the courts, to attend anger management classes <-- I said that for like 8 times already ? ? laugh

An old friend of mine got his speeding ticket thrown out of court because the officer had added a comment to the ticket "the driver was driving at an insane speed". The officer was asked what qualifications he had to judge the sanity of my friend, and as it turned out he didn't have any. The judge dismissed the ticket, and warned my friend not to appear before him ever again on related charges.

Well if the cop said your friend was driving at 90 mph and could prove it - your friend would have a ticket to deal with.

I cannot believe a cop would not have any proof and then stand there in front of a judge and say - ahhhhhh duuuude he was driving insaneling fast, hey dude judge, ya know what I mean like he was going like insanely fast. <-- Gheees