So... have I missed anything?

Posted by: Leslie

So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 11:43 AM

Here is some breaking news........km thinks marriage should only be between a man and a woman.
Welcome back.
Posted by: Nana

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Leslie
Here is some breaking news........km thinks marriage should only be between a man and a woman.
Welcome back.

Posted by: keymaker

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 03:00 PM

I'm saying it IS only between a man and a woman... even when somewhere like Massachusetts tries to assert otherwise - it's still not recognised in England.

km

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 03:12 PM

I'm saying it ISN'T only between a man and a woman. It is recognized in Canada and a few other countries.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 03:13 PM

And states.

wink
Posted by: lanovami

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 03:14 PM

"it's still not recognised in England."

Well, that settles it then does it?

And Trey I am all pissed off about the ballooning discoveries of blatant pension fraud all over Japan. I am not sure if any of the people involved are gay or not though.

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 03:18 PM

"I'm saying it ISN'T only between a man and a woman. It is recognized in Canada and a few other countries."

And in the coming years it will be recognized in a lot more places just like other social inequalities that were rectified. And society as we know it will not fall apart, at least not because of gay people getting married. This makes me want to link my all time favorite youtube clip again, but I guess that's overkill.

Sorry Trey, we co-opted your thread. We should bring it back to Cal Prop 8.

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 03:30 PM

Yea, km, and some states too!

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 03:43 PM

Well, if the Canadian parliament suddenly legislated that black was white i'd still choose black from the colour palette... rather than finishing up with the wrong colour in my artwork by taking any notice of such an eccentric and wrong assertion.

There's no social inequality in marriage by the way because there's no inquiry into a person's sexuality. I've made that point several times before - do you acknowledge it or not?

km

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 03:50 PM

And if the Canadian govt or the British govt for that matter legislated that heterosexuals were homosexuals and vice versa you'd still be prejudiced against the ones that are are attracted to the same sex. What a bastion of consistency you are!

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 03:55 PM

eh, you've added a paragraph to your post since I replied to it.

One pointless word definition game per post please.

Edit: Sorry about this Trey. Really.

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 04:41 PM

Quote:
There's no social inequality in marriage by the way because there's no inquiry into a person's sexuality. I've made that point several times before - do you acknowledge it or not?

Define social inequality.
Posted by: VarmintBlubber

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 05:16 PM

Well, if the Canadian parliament suddenly legislated that black was white i'd still choose black from the colour palette... rather than finishing up with the wrong colour in my artwork by taking any notice of such an eccentric and wrong assertion.

Lovely word salad there, Km. I'd dig in but the empty calories are a real drag.

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 05:42 PM

Yeah, reboot you moved the thread, but isn't it still existing over there too? Confus-ed me at first.

edit: once again, I put my foot in it, you were just in the middle of moving things around. Can't delete, so must apologize instead. Sorry, on with this scintillating thread.

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 05:44 PM

He moved most of the thread and made a new thread here.

wink

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 05:48 PM

Yeah, my bad. But it just goes to prove my point about something or other that I expect you all to guess at. smirk

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
He moved most of the thread and made a new thread here.

wink

And now it's all going to become threadbare.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 05:59 PM

Just keeping the streets safe.

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 06:03 PM

Did he pull the rip cord?
Posted by: steveg

Even-Steven, then. You're still not recognized in Massachusetts.

Where's Poly Purebred?

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 06:04 PM

Uh-huh. km and the Great State of Denial.

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/06/10 11:53 PM

It was your expression so what did you mean by it?

km

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/07/10 08:50 AM

Originally Posted By: keymaker

km

Originally Posted By: keymaker
It was your expression so what did you mean by it?

km

No, social inequality was your expression - see above - so, define social inequality.
Are you OK?

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/07/10 10:31 AM

Whoops... seems to have been lano's expression actually - I guess he meant unequal treatment of minorities such as blacks and women.

km

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/07/10 10:44 AM

You still think women are minorities? No wonder you ain't gettin' any!

At least that would explain your crankiness.

(Hell, hard to think of blacks as minorities any more, too!)

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/07/10 10:57 AM

Well, you're on one level of understanding, to do with overall numbers, I was using the term in its more usual sense of women as a minority in positions of power and influence. What's the ratio of men to women in Congress? Do you understand now, or is it still elusive?

km

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/07/10 01:56 PM

The only thing that's illusive is your logic, old boy. And I'm not alone on that level. Do you understand now?

Didn't think so.

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/07/10 02:11 PM

So in your little world women should stop complaining about their treatment because they're in a majority - what was that ratio again in Congress?

km

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/07/10 03:18 PM

I asked you if you still consider women a minority. The number of women in Congress has nothing to do with what I asked you. Besides, the ratio of women in positions of leadership in the public and private sectors has grown geometrically, and the salary gap is beginning to close at a faster clip, too. Still not nearly fast enough, but better than before.

Trying to put words in my mouth is not a very good way to dodge a direct question. But I'm sure you'll keep trying.

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/07/10 03:32 PM

Quote:
I asked you if you still consider women a minority.

I consider them a minority in Congress... I thought I made that clear.

km

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/07/10 03:51 PM

Your confusing clarity with obfuscation. The kind of contradiction that's part of the landscape (or is it lunarscape) in your big wide world.

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/07/10 04:14 PM

Not that I feel I need to do km any favors, but I remember clearly from one of those oh so useful sociology classes I took:

"A minority is a sociological group that does not constitute a politically dominant voting majority of the total population of a given society. A sociological minority is not necessarily a numerical minority it may include any group that is subnormal with respect to a dominant group in terms of social status, education, employment, wealth and political power. To avoid confusion, some writers prefer the terms "subordinate group" and "dominant group" rather than "minority" and "majority", respectively."

It came from wiki b/c that's always the easiest source, but I am sure there are others.
Posted by: trey

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/08/10 09:46 AM

In the immortal words of Frank Zappa: Great Googlie Mooglie!

laugh

Re: So... have I missed anything? - 08/08/10 10:59 AM

Quote:
Your confusing clarity with obfuscation

Everybody else understands it - you're just abnormally obtuse.

km