Ronald Reagan Dies at 93

Posted by: krusher117

Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/06/04 01:10 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/05/reagan.main/index.html

not really an apple topic. but important. Maybe I'll add a misc discussion area later

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2004/06/06 04:13
Posted by: scottk

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/06/04 01:20 PM

I knew this was coming based on the reports, but a very sad day for America and the world nonetheless.
Posted by: DaleCo2k

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/06/04 04:12 PM

He has been suffering for quite a while. I personally am happy he is finally at peace although he will be missed.
Posted by: TomatoMac

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/07/04 06:55 AM

Ronal Reagan... funny, amazing man. But, honestly, is his death surprising? I mean, they've been planning his funeral for the past two weeks! Later.
-Shane
Posted by: scottk

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/07/04 11:53 AM

No, there's nothing surprising about it. Everyone knew he was sick. But that doesn't change the fact that the passing of a great American is still a big deal. I think our country is a better place because of Ronald Reagan and his leadership.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/09/04 02:07 AM

What is sad is that a local public school near where I live had no idea that Reagan had passed away. When asked why their American Flag was not at half-mast, they asked why it should be. When explained, they said they had no idea...

The state of our public schools....
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/09/04 02:12 AM

Magnus, as a public school past atendee I agree with you 100%. I think that there should be a news cast made everyday for schools across the nation, and in homeroom they should have to watch a 30 minute clip. This would at least allow them to learn one thing in public school while they are there.

Post edited by: oojacoboo, at: 2004/06/09 05:12
Posted by: DaleCo2k

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/09/04 02:43 PM

My high school had something like that. It was called "Channel One" and every day we watched it for 15 minutes.
Posted by: karl

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/09/04 02:51 PM

we had Channle One in my school days as well, and now CNN is getting into the picture, and it is the worst crap around. The entire broadcast, both Channel 1 and CNN, is about 20 minutes of which most is commercials selling students stuff. Companies have a captive audieenace as the students are required to watch as per the deal to get teh free TVs and VCRs. So Tomy and Sara watch commericals for Pepsi and can go to the cafeteria and buy the Pepsi, how wrong is that. Also, what is shown is so watered down and liberal minded it is basically a bunch of tripe any how. Yes the students need a news broadcast, but No commercials and less editorial BS. Leave that up to Sean Hannity and Al Frankin. Ok Rant over, carry on.
Posted by: karl

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/09/04 02:58 PM

magnus wrote:
Quote:
When asked why their American Flag was not at half-mast, .

Not to get all authenticative on you but, unless you are on a ship it is half-staff not half-mast. Thanks you carry on. smile
Posted by: nathan2480

[edit] - 06/13/04 07:58 PM

[edit]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/13/04 09:50 PM

nathan2480

Quote:
Are you kidding me?!?!

No, I am not kidding! What are your thoughts?

[ul][*]Do you feel the public school system is doing the best that it can?
[*]Do you feel the teachers, as a whole, are teaching what they should be, or just teaching to a test so they can keep their jobs?
[*]Do you feel that teaching ebonics or teaching in Spanish is really pushing our students to better themselves?
[*]Do you feel affirmative action should be something that is put back into our school system so that people of certain ethnic backgrounds are put in front of those that worked hard and earned the grades to get into schools?
[*]Do you feel that it is okay to only go to school for 3-4 hours a day and still meet the required 30 hours per week?
[*]Does the well-being of students' health matter to you when the government regulated lunch program is now including fast food?
[*]How about the teachers being afraid of going to work because a student might pull out a weapon against them or other students? Also related, do your feel it is a good thing that our public schools now have to have security personnel and security devices because of the increased violence on campus?[/ul]

I'm not sure what explanation you might have for your post. What might you think I would be kidding about?

I find it hard to believe that a public high school, which has at least one history/current events/government teacher, would not know that a previous POTUS passed away.

Now, given the size of most public schools, I imagine there are at least 3-5 such teachers. Not one of those teachers is concerned with how the flag of our nation is flying? Not one of them has paid attention to the news for several days at a time? (Which means that they are not providing proper information to their students.)

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/13/04 11:54 PM

[censored]. The ones that are there are people that just want to get paid for the most part.

I have many more opinions on this subject, but I agree with everything that magnus said and more!

Cheers.

[edit] - 06/14/04 02:08 AM

[edit]

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/14/04 03:42 AM

Nathan, if you read a little more closely, you will notice that he was saying that the students asked the teacher why the flag WAS at half-staff and the teacher told the students that he/she didn't know. He was just saying that our school system is just inadequate.

Re:Ronald Reagan Dies at 93 - 06/14/04 04:47 AM

oojacoboo wrote:
Quote:
Nathan, if you read a little more closely, you will notice that he was saying that the students asked the teacher why the flag WAS at half-staff and the teacher told the students that he/she didn't know. He was just saying that our school system is just inadequate.

Yeah. Sorry for the confusion