Who heads Republican Party

Posted by: starmillway

Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 01:28 PM

Seems it is not yet decided . . .

smile

Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele took umbrage Saturday night when CNN's D.L. Hughley referred to radio host Rush Limbaugh as "the de facto leader of the Republican party."

"No he's not. I'm the de facto leader of the Republican party," Steele said. The RNC chief went on to call Limbaugh, who that very day delivered the keynote address to the Conservative Political Action Conference, a mere "entertainer" whose show is "incendiary" and "ugly."

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4EWB0Wc4wQ[/video]

On his radio show today, Limbaugh fired back, calling the RNC and Michael Steele "so-called Republicans" and saying that they "need a little leadership."

"So I am an entertainer and I have 20 million listeners because of my great song and dance routine," Limbaugh said. "Michael Steele, you are head of the Republican National Committee. You are not head of the Republican party. Tens of millions of conservatives and Republicans have nothing to do with the Republican National Committee...and when you call them asking for money, they hang up on you."

"I hope that changes," Limbaugh continued. "It's time, Mr. Steele, for you to go behind the scenes and start doing the work that you were elected to do instead of being some talking-head media star."

UPDATE: Rush continued firing shots at Steele later in the show.

"I'm not in charge of the Republican Party, and I don't want to be," he said. "I would be embarrassed to say that I'm in charge of the Republican Party in a sad-sack state that it's in. If I were chairman of the Republican Party, given the state that it's in, I would quit."

Rush then mocked those who have criticized him for saying he wants Obama to fail, and directly challenged them to choose: You either want Obama to succeed or fail at his goal of dismantling conservatism.

"So send those fundraising requests out," Rush said in a sneering tone, in an apparent reference to Steele, adding: "Make sure you say, `We want Obama to succeed.' So people understand your compassion."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/02/steele-takes-on-rush-limb_n_171135.html?view=print

Posted by: steveg

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 02:09 PM

But wait. Michelle Bachmann sez Michael Steele be the MAN! This is sooooooo confusing. confused
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 02:13 PM

But Rash only wants to cover his bottom line - and that's a huge bottom to line! laugh

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 03:20 PM

Quote:
Rash: "So I am an entertainer and I have 20 million listeners because of my great song and dance routine,"

20 million is less than 10% of the voter turn out last November and less than 5% of persons of voting age. Hardly a significant number.

Source

(see enormous ego)
Posted by: garyW

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 04:08 PM

Rush is the leader.

from this afternoon:

Steele to Rush: I'm sorry

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele says he has reached out to Rush Limbaugh to tell him he meant no offense when he referred to the popular conservative radio host as an “entertainer” whose show can be “incendiary.”

“My intent was not to go after Rush – I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh,” Steele said in a telephone interview. “I was maybe a little bit inarticulate. … There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19517.html

Posted by: DLC

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 04:11 PM

Quote:
Steele to Rush: I'm sorry

AWWWWW.... can we watch them "Kiss and Make UP" ?? sick

laugh

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 04:19 PM

I'd like to see a poll of 2012 GOP candidates that includes Limbaugh, Hannity and Coulter. I bet all three would poll higher than any current GOP politician.

Posted by: DLC

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 06:58 PM

Well that'd assure an Obama 2nd Term !!

Rush, Hannity, and Coulter -25 Million

Obama 175 Million !! laugh

The GOP wins one STate in the Electorial College ! It's IN...

NO not Indiana...

The state of INsanity !! wink
Posted by: Centercentaur

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 08:42 PM

Did Steele say that Rush's speech to the convention looked like a Nazi rally? Or did someone else say that? Who? I've been very busy the last two days but I think I read that someplace. And it kind of rang (tolled) a bell as far as I'm concerned, because when Rush was speaking and getting really nasty and his audience got all riled up and started chanting "USA, USA, USA!" Well, my very thoughts! A whole lot like fascism. And, good lord---why does Rush, of ALL people, not wear a flag pin on his lapel?

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 10:03 PM

Well, I wonder if he likes Alaska Gov? Can't recall. Anyway, I think she can hibernate for a couple years and still come out like Superwoman, smelling like a rose and be the real leader of the party. cry She has that 'something' that will draw people and votes. Granted it is not what will be needed to run the party and the U.S. but she has "it". sleep

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 10:23 PM

I can't see Palin holding her own through a brutal primary. How many GOP debates were there this last time, about 10 or so before Super Tuesday. Palin debating Gingrich or Romney ... that'll be entertaining. Palin walked into the campaign in the eleventh hour as the Queen Bee and lived in her little bubble. Not this next time, she'll need to earn it, and I doubt complaining about the media is going to get her very far ... but then maybe I give too much credit to republican voters. Maybe "hot" is really all they want.

I'm still predicting a Newt/Mitt ticket ...
laugh

Posted by: MrB

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/02/09 11:04 PM

He is also wrong about the song and dance. That is exactly why listeners tune into him. Not because of his shrewd political insites. He is all about entertainment. That's all.

dave

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 01:05 AM

IMHO:
Sarah became the star to rally around because
THERE WAS A TOTAL *BLANK* THERE BEFOREHAND!

MacLAME was bombing BIG-TIME!
. . cry . . sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep
ANYONE (...or anything) would be better than HIM!)

They snatched the Hoo-Haa Family out of the toilet
while the rest of the Rethugnicans were circling bowl.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 01:16 AM

eek Good GOD!

What a HORRIBLE THOUGHT to go back to bed pondering...

IF the Dems rely on the same strategy used by the Wrong-Wing
(...picking a more woman-ly woman or a blacker Black Man...)
How f'n stooopit a candidate the Dems would need to select.

crazy Say "Goodnite Gracie".
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 05:15 AM

Doesn't he invariably claim that he's just an entertainer whenever anyone asks him about some racist or sexist joke or statement made on his program?

The Republican Party has been dancing around events like CPAC for a long time. It's a totally shrewd move on the Democratic Party's part to needle Republicans on the things said at an event that their leaders have been participating in. It's not like Democrats line up every year to hang out with Mike Malloy at a convention center and applaud him as he slanders half the country.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 05:29 AM

Originally Posted By: garyW
I'd like to see a poll of 2012 GOP candidates that includes Limbaugh, Hannity and Coulter. I bet all three would poll higher than any current GOP politician.

Would never happen. Because as a conservative, Rush "cares about the people". Unless of course, that caring includes a pay cut which would affect his drug addicted, morbidly obese cigar smoking self infatuated lifestyle. Funny how the extreme right rallies behind someone who's the very antithesis of what they're supposed to stand for.

Are conservatives really the sheep they seem to be?

Steele is a puss, I'm rather disappointed. What he should have said is exactly what I stated, then went on to say Rush needs to STFU and go away and stop marginalizing the party.

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 07:56 AM

If Limbaugh was a candidate on the 2012 straw poll at CPAC I bet he'd get over 70%. If Hannity was on the poll too I say they'd split 35/35.
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 08:19 AM

If Limbaugh was a candidate on the 2012 straw poll at CPAC I bet he'd get over 70%. If Hannity was on the poll too I say they'd split 35/35.

National polls at this point are meaningless. A CPAC poll would only serve to help fill those 24-hour news cycles. Talk talk talk. Learn nothing of value.

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 08:34 AM

Not to mention that he didn't know the difference between the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. Defender of the Constitution my a$$!

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 11:21 AM

What um thinkin' is along the lines of a Pied Piper charismatic figure type thing.

Some really 'dumbo ignoranous' could have the magic I'm thinking about and still get jillions of followers/votes. That magic something is what I cannot understand that people latch onto. Ya know, like Jim Jones in Johnstown!! And other evil leaders such as the one in the 30-40s who lead his country to two wars with unspeakable atrocities {at his direction} taking place.

That woman is evil! smile

And yet, women love her and flock to her. Men? Well, being men, and she being seductive, attractive, and very much a woman . . .

I do not think Newt has a chance in he11! In fact I'd think that guy who is a hillbilly bass playing southerner would beat him out. More charisma there too appealing to radical religious in the conservative world. I'll think of his name in an hour or so. smile

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 11:24 AM

Supposing Limbaugh was interested in being Presiden of the U.S., what do you think of his chances? He has an enormous following it seems? Take out the Hannity factor and replace him with Newt or one of the others who competed last year.

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 12:07 PM

Limbaugh would not survive the vetting by the media on his drug use ... or the stockpile of disgusting things and lies he's said on his show. Though it would be great comedy, or maybe more comedy than we've seen the last few days. On the radio he can control his message and say absolutely anything he wants and get paid millions of dollars ... and it certainly seems he has plenty of political power the way it is, and growing bigger each day. His ego too.

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 12:57 PM

Newt was the primary architect of the "Contract with America" which has pretty much been totally discredited these days.

Re: Who heads Republican Party - 03/03/09 12:57 PM

Yeah.

And if he were elected, those stogies he smokes would kill him toot sweet! Ha

*tout de suite