Coleman Franken recount

Posted by: KateSorensen

Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:17 PM

Live streaming in all its excitement . . . yawn . . .

Kidding aside, it is interesting when they start discussing why someone did this, that or the other.

http://www.theuptake.org/

Recount live video

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:18 PM

Well, just for purposes of adding a reply here and checking out what is going on in my SoapBox index,

I've been watching off and on for a while now.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:25 PM

I see a rusty rake in your front yard.

I think it would be way more interesting to go watch that rake rust. Bring a flashlight. whistle

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:33 PM

All right I take my snotty comment back. It is fascinating. That this count may give the Democrats a filibuster proof Senate is mind boggling.

The Senate would be so much more fun with Franken showing up in a Speedo.
Posted by: FSM

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:34 PM

this is actually very fun.

Franken needs to go up 188 to win. current count:

COLEMAN 252
FRANKEN 411

less than 30 to go.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:38 PM

so, the Franken challenges were yesterday. all challenges today are from Coleman. that means Franken is likely to pick up way, way more.

this is really compelling.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:39 PM

norm up only 21 now.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: polymerase
The Senate would be so much more fun with Franken showing up in a Speedo.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:42 PM

I thought you might enjoy this, spaghetti monster! smile

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:44 PM

some of these Coleman challenges just don't make a lot of sense as the intent is clear:

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:44 PM

Yer so funny. You and blinking hat man could get together with a lounge act! Keeps me laughing.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 02:47 PM

we're into single digits.

I need help; I'm going crazy I think! - 12/18/08 02:48 PM

Check out my post here http://forums.mactech.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/403696/Another_anomaly#Post403696 and let me know if you guys have other political posts after Carps early moning post, other than this thread I started.

tia

Re: I need help; I'm going crazy I think! - 12/18/08 03:01 PM

5 vote lead for Coleman. music now playing but they're still in action so who knows???

Re: I need help; I'm going crazy I think! - 12/18/08 03:02 PM

ah, 379 left to count tomorrow.

awesome!

Re: I need help; I'm going crazy I think! - 12/18/08 03:13 PM

Talking Points Memo -- It's Franken's to Lose:

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/12/franken_the_more_likely_winner.php
Posted by: newkojak

Re: I need help; I'm going crazy I think! - 12/18/08 03:37 PM

Vote Lizard People!!!
Posted by: carp

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 03:40 PM

This topic was discussed before even with more voting samples - some of Franken challenges didn't make sense either . So with that Franken should just bow out gracefully and not spend another million bucks on yet another re-count.

Franken you lost pal its was close , show some dignity and try running again next time.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Franken you lost pal its was close , show some dignity and try running again next time.

Um... what? Is the recount over?

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 03:56 PM

They are still officially counting and verifying votes, Carp. It isn't over yet. There are more to count tomorrow. Really smile

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 04:02 PM

the Star Tribune in MN projects Franken to win by 89 votes:

http://senaterecount.startribune.com/ballots/
Posted by: garyW

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 04:03 PM

Quote:
So with that Franken should just bow out gracefully and not spend another million bucks on yet another re-count. Franken you lost pal its was close , show some dignity and try running again next time.

State election law determined that a re-count was required.

On the recount, each side presents challenges to certain ballots.
Franken's challenges were judged yesterday. Half of Coleman's challenges were judged today, the rest will be judged tomorrow.

No one needed to bow out ... the votes just needed to be counted. Why is it you say Franken is the one who needs to bow out and show dignity? By this state mandated recount, it looks like he's the one who might win the election, possibly by hundreds of votes.

Also, about 1500 Absentee ballots that were submitted correctly but not counted. Franken wants them counted Coleman does not. What's not dignified by counting every vote?

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: garyW
Quote:
So with that Franken should just bow out gracefully and not spend another million bucks on yet another re-count. Franken you lost pal its was close , show some dignity and try running again next time.

State election law determined that a re-count was required.

On the recount, each side presents challenges to certain ballots.
Franken's challenges were judged yesterday. Half of Coleman's challenges were judged today, the rest will be judged tomorrow.

No one needed to bow out ... the votes just needed to be counted. Why is it you say Franken is the one who needs to bow out and show dignity? By this state mandated recount, it looks like he's the one who might win the election, possibly by hundreds of votes.

Also, about 1500 Absentee ballots that were submitted correctly but not counted. Franken wants them counted Coleman does not. What's not dignified by counting every vote?

Yes I know all of that - its old news

But I betcha if Franken loses he will ask for a recount

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 05:07 PM

A recount of a recount ... are you just making things up now?

Republican Gov. Pawlenty supported the recount and has insisted that every vote be counted.

Yet Coleman (who is under FBI investigation for corruption) has filed lawsuits to stop vote counting.

Yet Coleman's lawyer planted bogus stories (lies) to the rightwing media that bags of missing ballots were found in a Democrat's car.

Who's wasting time? Look again at Sean's post, these are Coleman's challenges - he claims they should not be counted for Franken.

Again, why do you say Franken should bow out?

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 05:39 PM

Quote:
Who's wasting time? Look again at Sean's post, these are Coleman's challenges - he claims they should not be counted for Franken.

Again I have looked at Frankens challenges , they too looked like a spoil sport

And where did the 1,500 non counted votes come from - originally it was reported to be 115 , are you sure you got that right ? Thats a big difference
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
But I betcha if Franken loses he will ask for a recount

Do you think Coleman won't do the same if he loses?
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 06:45 PM

I'm just guessing, but I think this recount is the one and only recount in this particular election.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 06:50 PM

yeah, neither candidate will request another recount as it's not written into the law as this one was. this recount was automatic and not requested by either candidate, fwiw.
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: FSM
yeah, neither candidate will request another recount as it's not written into the law as this one was. this recount was automatic and not requested by either candidate, fwiw.

Never underestimate the rabid litigiousness of lawyers. Franken may give up since he will have technically lost twice, but I'm guessing Coleman will find some way to challenge the results if he loses.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 07:57 PM

i wasn't impressed with Coleman's lawyer while watching the proceedings at the end of counting today. Franken's lawyer was much more coherent and on top of things. that being said, i am sure Coleman's lawyer was looking for anything, no matter how frivolous and that's why he came off looking so very unimpressive.

Coleman has lost in court bunches recently and he lost with the Supreme Court of Minnesota just today. they've run out of viable options other than to try and suppress votes, which won't work.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/18/08 09:51 PM

The challenges are all part of the mandated recount. Coleman challenged 1021 ballots, Franken challenged 393.

The board judged Franken's challenges yesterday. He won nearly 30% of them.
Coleman's challenges are much more frivilous, as your examples are pretty typical, and he's winning only about 10-12% of them. That's why the remaining ballot challenges to be judged tomorrow really favor Franken as he's currently only 5 votes behind.

The Supreme Court ruling to count the 1500 Absentee ballots may fall to the ruling that each one must be mutually agree by both Franken and Coleman camps ... and Coleman just has to deny every single one from strongly Democratic counties if he wants to.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 07:55 AM

Franken now up 51.

the latest Coleman challenge failed . . . i wonder why?

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 08:07 AM

I've been watching some of the canvassing board meeting. It's interesting to watch these people... tired, cranky, sarcastic. I hope that whatever court challenges follow this do the board a huge amount of deference. They deserve at least that after all of this.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 08:22 AM

Now up by +94 ...

cool

Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 08:30 AM

Is that a total of all the votes or of the reviewed ballots only?

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 08:35 AM

There is something that I find totally despicable about this whole process. Now, I understand that I am personally biased against Norm Coleman and that I am likely to interpret some things differently than other people, but here are some things we know to be true:

1. Sen. Coleman has challenged far more ballots than Al Franken.
2. Sen. Coleman has had a greater proportion of his challenges thrown out.
3. Sen. Coleman has already claimed victory and told Al Franken to concede.

I can forgive numbers one and two. That's just either an overzealous campaign or maybe some disorganization. It's best not to ascribe ill intent when they were probably just trying to see what they could get through the canvassing board.

When you combine one and two with three though... Ugh... What an ass! While everyone else has been focusing on accuracy, the Coleman camp is busy trying to game the recount to score political points and lay the blame for the length of this process at Franken's feet? All politicians are opportunistic, but the behavior of the Coleman camp is far more ridiculous than anyone should expect.

I hope he loses and I hope the people of Minnesota reject his bald-faced attempts to delegitimize the process.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 08:37 AM

That's the total of all votes ... that's why Franken's going to be a freshman US Senator.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 08:37 AM

It's total votes cast. They are slowly designating votes taken out of the totals during the recount and designating them either under/over-vote, Coleman, Franken, or other.

...or Lizard People.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 08:44 AM

I'd keep my eye on lizard people wink

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 08:47 AM

Well, they have a hard road ahead of them.

Despite being in the running for seemingly every race, they lost 100% of all of the ballots on which they were named. I really think Lizard People needs to give up the narrow focus and take a big tent approach. Maybe then they can get in some local offices.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 08:53 AM

The panel reviewed the contested ballot that had the bubble filled for Franken but also had "Lizard People" scrawled in the write-in slot (without the bubbble filled). The panel rejected it as an overvote claiming that they had no proof that "Lizard People" was not an actual person, thereby indicating intent to vote for that person.

On another contested ballot, "Brett Favre" was written in but the bubble filled for Coleman ... the vote was awarded to Coleman by the decision that "Brett Favre" was not a person.

Go figure.

edit: The Favre write-in was above Coleman's name and not in the write-in slot.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 09:06 AM

i thought it was okay, but when the Lizard People bubble wasn't filled in then i wonder how they came to the conclusion not to count it for Franken. i thought the Coleman / Favre vote should have gone to Coleman and that the Lizard People should have gone to Franken. but as long as they're being consistent then the end result looks very good for Franken so i don't mind.
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 09:12 AM

Personally, regardless of who it benefits, I don't think any ballot that is not properly filled out should be counted.

The instructions are clear: fill in the empty circle. If you can't do that right, it's time to do society a favor and step in front of a moving train.

Remember "ScanTron" forms from school? The rules were simple: properly fill it out with a number 2 pencil or you would fail. If I can figure that out in the third grade, I should think Minnesotans can get that right.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 09:17 AM

It's Plus Franken 167.

Is the only thing we have left is Coleman's challenges so this number can only go up?

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 09:20 AM

Virtually all of these Coleman challenges would go to Franken if a computer scanned it and went by your rules of just counting ones where the voter could fill in a circle.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 09:36 AM

under Bryan's request even the rejected Lizard People ballot would have been a vote for Franken. heh.

truth be told, i used scantron in my classes. the machine would grade and then i'd go back and give credit if i could tell the intent. my objective was not to grade their test taking abilities as that wouldn't be valid; rather, my objective was to measure their understanding of the curriculum.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 10:06 AM

I used them all the time in my class and I still have to go through and correct errors it makes. Imagine thousands of thse and not in prime condition.. Scantron reading is far from perfect, trust me. It's about 98% accurate, so most of th time it's OK, but in races this close...gotta do manual checks if you want to be 100% acurate.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 10:42 AM

They are in lunch break highlights reliving the Lizard People vote. There was also a vote for you! FSM, clear as day.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 10:54 AM

i am humbled by the votes, but that person is obviously a pirate.

Franken up 276. wow!

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Bryan

See that bubble in your photo that's marked "C" ... that's exactly the kind of mark that Coleman is challenging.

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 12:10 PM

woot!

Re: Coleman Franken recount - 12/19/08 12:51 PM

Quote:
Moments after Franken took the lead, Coleman campaign spokesman Mark Drake said in a statement: "While varying headlines and a flurry of different numbers will continue, we encourage everyone to just hang on until the process is finished. When it is finished, Norm Coleman will still lead, and we believe, be re-elected to the United States Senate." (source)

This is rich coming from a campaign that claimed victory on election night and has based an entire press relations strategy on hyping the initial figures.