Posted by: Celandine

As popular as ever, I see - 12/14/08 02:04 PM

Iraqi journalist hurls shoes at Bush'dog'
Posted by: Mike

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 02:05 PM

That's one way to get Dubya's attention! crazy
Posted by: steveg

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 02:05 PM

Yup. He's as well thought of as Saddam was over there. Remember when the statue was brought down in Baghdad, and people were beating on it with their shoes? Over here we give people The Finger. In the ME, you show the bottoms of your shoes.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 02:08 PM

Bush sure has a poor imitation of a Vulcan greeting !!

Spock would be very pissed !! wink

But the incident is easy to explain:

It's the ME version of The Hokie Pokie....

"you put your left shoe IN....

you put your right shoe IN....

you scream a lot ...

and you shake all about...

you do the Georgie Wargie and turn yourself around

that's what it's all about !" wink
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 02:21 PM

Wow, good reflexes.

I wonder what Bush was saying right before the incident. Since the attacker had to bend down to take his second shoe off after tossing the first, it doesn't appear to be premeditated but a spur-of-the-moment action.

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 02:37 PM

Yeah Mike , it's a good thing he was a journalist and not a cobbler !! wink
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 02:52 PM

He was telling the reporters that the U.S. isn't
going to leave Iraq for at least another 2 years.

The Yankees could always use a New Pitcher grin
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 02:58 PM

It it had been a gun, Cheney would be president right now. Where was the security???

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 03:07 PM

Yeah....and it looked as if the guy was wearing light dress shoes. Had it been around my neck o'the woods, it woulda been snow boots! smile
Posted by: FSM

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
It it had been a gun, Cheney would be president right now. Where was the security???
i assure you, the security was extensive to just get into the room. thus, the reason there wasn't much fear shown.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 03:53 PM

Quote:
Where was the security???

This seems like it is pretty damn serious ... what if the guy had gone there as an assasin? Look at how close the first one came to his head. If that is a hard bottomed shoe that would have done some harm. The astonishing thing is that after he ducked the first one, Bush looks almost like he's laughing ... good reflexes. I'm surprised the Secret Service didn't unload a few rounds before the second shoe was thrown.

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 04:13 PM

Watch Martha Raddatz's interview with Bush after the incident. Ignorance is bad. Arrogance is bad. Put the two together and there's the familiar swaggering "bring it on" idiocy that we've come to expect from this intellectually challenged fool. mad

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 04:57 PM

Yeah what if that guy had been wearing golf shoes. .. . .with steel cleats !!

Bush could have been Im-cleatched !! smirk

yeah Steve did ya catch that smirk on Bush's face? . . . like he was playing dodge ball or something ! laugh

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 05:18 PM

Oh yeah, that was Dubya at his best!
I just shook my head listening to his comments after the incident; i.e.: "That was a size-ten shoe....". Real cool, Mr President, real cool! smirk

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 05:30 PM

It takes a titanic ignoramus to not know when he's been insulted, or why, or the severity of the insult. And it takes hubris that can only be excised by a proctologist to smirk at an entire culture that way. I have to think Raddatz was contemplating jamming one of her own size 6s up his nose — heel first — at that moment.

And I love the exchange about Al Qaeda in Iraq. It wasn't re-writing history — it was overtly denying it!

This human road apple and the rest of his bacteria can't be gone soon enough. Ugh!
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 06:21 PM

The stuff about al Qaeda in Iraq was stunning, I though. Do you think he believes himself? Never mind. "Think" is a little over the top.

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 06:37 PM

The man reminds me of mold.

No offense to the mold, of course.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 06:45 PM

from the comments at Wonkette:

" I have to hand it to Bush. The guy’s pretty coordinated. Of course if this were Barry he’d probably catch both shoes, shine them, hand them back to the guy, and ask him what his issues were over tea."

grin

Posted by: keymaker

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 08:53 PM

Quote:
"That's what happens in a free society... people draw attention to themselves".

What's so free about being bundled out of the hall when you're out of ammo?

km
Posted by: macdavid

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 09:02 PM

If the foo...
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 09:17 PM

Bush was a pro. Brushed it off, even ducked. The first one was pretty high and tight, too.

The shoe thrower is an idiot. He now has two things he could only dream of under Saddam:

1.) Freedom of the press

2.) Freedom to throw shoes at world leaders.

Had that happened under Saddam, the Fedayeen would've cut out his tongue and Uday (or Qusay, I can't remember which) would've run him through his people shredder. That was what they did to people on the Iraqi Olympic team who lost.

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: keymaker
Quote:
"That's what happens in a free society... people draw attention to themselves".

What's so free about being bundled out of the hall when you're out of ammo?

km

Because in a free society, the shoe thrower is allowed to throw the shoe without being tortured and executed. Bush made Iraq a free society.
Posted by: keymaker

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 09:36 PM

Quote:
Because in a free society, the shoe thrower is allowed to throw the shoe without being tortured and executed.

How do you know he's not being tortured and executed? He hasn't been seen since.

Quote:
Bush made Iraq a free society.

What? <---.

km
Posted by: MrB

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
It takes a titanic ignoramus to not know when he's been insulted, or why, or the severity of the insult. And it takes hubris that can only be excised by a proctologist to smirk at an entire culture that way. I have to think Raddatz was contemplating jamming one of her own size 6s up his nose — heel first — at that moment.

And I love the exchange about Al Qaeda in Iraq. It wasn't re-writing history — it was overtly denying it!

This human road apple and the rest of his bacteria can't be gone soon enough. Ugh!

But that's the thing. It wasn't an insult to Bush. The guy just threw his shoes. If he really wanted to insult the president he would have boned up on what is considered an insult in our country.

As for Bush's light hearted comments, I see no problem there there as that is how he reacts. I might have done the same thing and not made a big deal of it myself. Made a joke.

But if one is looking to find something to make fun of the Bush then one woudl do it here I am sure. But what you have to remember is that the guy did it to our president. No matter what we think of him here when he is over seas he represents our country. Next year it will be Obama.

dave

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/14/08 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
The stuff about al Qaeda in Iraq was stunning, I though. Do you think he believes himself? Never mind. "Think" is a little over the top.

Like every politician once they formulate their responses to issues they continue with them as if they are true. Often they are perceived as true after a while.

And Bush is keeping with the same comments, he hasn't changed them for years.

dave

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 03:38 AM

Hmmm. Last time I looked ducking was a natural reflex. I wouldn't call that a sign of a pro. And he "brushed it off" by sneering and showing a complete disdain for or lack of understanding of the real significance of the act. Embrace reality, Bryan — your guy is as dumb as a rock. And keep in mind this reporter had previously been kidnapped and beaten by people who would not have ever set foot in Iraq had it not been for the reckless actions of your "pro."

It may be good for some Iraqis that Saddam is gone. But his presence most certainly wasn't a threat to us. So what has his removal done to improve your life?

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 03:51 AM

Are you serious? Why should this reporter have used a Western expression to insult Bush? Is that another form of You're in America now, speak English? Are you as culturally numb as Bush?

You are not the supposed leader of the Free World. You could make a joke about being beaned by a shoe and it might not be a big deal. But for the POTUS to sneer and swagger like that is beyond inappropriate.

No one here is "making fun" of Bush. Most are just disgusted by his stupid-as-usual response. And if Obama were to display a similar attitude over such an event, he would be just as stupid. But something tells me he'll be dissing fewer countries, and thereby evoking fewer acts of negative expression toward the U.S.

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 06:23 AM

Yes I'm serious. AS for culturally numb as Bush, I can't say and won't get personal in these forums.

I do think that if the journalist wanted to dis the president he should have done it in our culture as what he did did not insult Bush. After all, he just threw a shoe at him.

As for the insult, why are we on Bush's response and not on the guy who did the 'insulting'. To me that just shows all of our feelings about the situation. We didn't feel insulted. Was anyone here insulted by the guy throwing the shoe? I don't see anyone commenting on that, and if he was insulted we should be infuriated, shouldn't we? He did 'insult' our president. What if he had injured the president? Would anyone here have been upset. Few would is my guess.

dave

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 07:20 AM

The reporter was wrong to have thrown anything. Let's get that out of the way right away. He should have his press card pulled, spend 30 days in jail, and be released with only hospital slippers for footwear.

But step back and consider what led the man to this action. We as a people should not feel insulted. We should, however be ashamed that our so-called leader evokes such negativity from the citizens of other nations.

Instead of thumbing his nose at the man ("The guy just wanted to get on TV"), a more appropriate response would have been to at least acknowledge that not everyone feels that we should be there, or believes that we've done right by Iraq and the ME in general. A little more empathy and a lot less bravado would have been the statesman-like response.

I'm sorry, but if you can't see that, you are culturally numb — or at best, disinterested. Take it personally if you want, but I calls 'em as I see's 'em.

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 09:28 AM

So what we have is that we should be upset at the way our president reacted instead of being upset that a person attempted to insult our president. I think that is backwards.

AS for the way Bush reacted. How should have he reacted. Should he have fallen down on the ground covering his head or should he have just dodged the offending objects? In the interview how should he have reacted? Made it a big issue or tossed it off with humor.

He is the president and has been, for years, responding to his attack on Iraq in the same way. He is not going to retract from that no matter who throws shoes at him. Most of us here agree that our being in Iraq is a enormous mistake and that it will be years before both Iraq and the U.S. recover from it's effects, but Bush is not going to change his perspective on this. Certainly not at this time.

Seriously, how would you expect to see Bush react, knowing how he has responded to many quesitons on his actions toward IRaq in the past?

AS for being culturally numb: A guy throws shoes at our president. I for one, and I may be alone in this, am glad it was just shoes and not a grenade or some weapon. Maybe in the ME it would have been more acceptable for it to have been a grenade instead of shoes, but for the effect it would have on our government it was better that it was just shoes. That is what I am coming from.

dave

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 09:53 AM

Did you read my post? I described what I thought would have been a more appropriate response. I can't put words in the POTUS'. But he, as a world leader, should have a better handle on how to conduct himself as the face and voice of the U.S.

And believe me, I'm glad it was only shoes, too. The thought of President Cheney — even for just a month — sends a chill down my spine. Besides, I don't want to see him harmed. I just want to see him gone. But just for once, I'd also like to have seen him act like a mensch instead of the clueless, self-absorbed boor that he is.
Posted by: carp

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 10:28 AM

Now now lets not get to personal . I been trying to curb myself too

Iraq = insult
US = contempt

Whats appropriate is a matter of ones country interpretation - Steve I don't think the Iraqis even see it your way either , what they see is a world leader insulted in their own language who brushed it off with a smile and humor and not being "scornful or vengeful" that should go well for the show thrower .

Sure Bush could have been a little more compassionate and a little less humor - But thats Bush as far as I know he always acted that way when verbally attacked at press releases.

Now there are riots in Iraq , they want the thrower released from prison. I say let him go just take his press card away.

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 10:33 AM

Quote:
Thousands of Iraqis have demanded the release of a local TV reporter who threw his shoes at US President George W Bush at a Baghdad news conference.

Crowds gathered in Baghdad's Sadr City district, calling for "hero" Muntadar al-Zaidi to be freed from custody.

Officials at the Iraqi-owned TV station, al-Baghdadiya, called for the release of their journalist, saying he was exercising freedom of expression.
Quote:
"This is a farewell kiss, you dog," he yelled in Arabic as he threw his shoes. "This is from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq."
thousands rally for the shoe thrower

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 10:43 AM

Did it ever occur to you that a less smart-assy response from Bush may have diffused this guy's new-found folk hero status, and the lynch mob mentality now being displayed toward Bush and the U.S.? I think the riots today are a pretty good indication of how the Iraqi people view the events.

Bush's response was disgusting, and to say "Oh well, that's our Georgie" is just as inexcusable.

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 10:57 AM

Sounds like to me they just want his release - I see nothing about his smart-ass remarks from the Iraqis. Read seans post above

In fact from what I get off the US news from viewer responses emails and call in are about the shoes throwing , I seen nothing yet about smart-ass remarks - maybe just you steve is concerned about that to make it into a personal issue but thats the way you are and thats the way Bush is

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 11:25 AM

Yup. Must just be me. Whatever.

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 11:36 AM

Yup

I see what you mean , I mentioned he could have shown more compassion as well but its a non issue to me and it seems a non issue to the Iraqis and TV news <-- Well give the TV news a few more days when the news slows down then someone will says "Hey" we got this smirk thing we can make an issue out of , then we all will see the whole dang thing for another week with a different twist.

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 03:09 PM

on CNN this afternoon, it's been all Blogojevitch and the Chicago corruption.

dave

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 03:55 PM

Just thought of this ... if his shoes were hot and sweaty... oozing with perspiration and filth, could this be considered an act of chemical warfare ? grin

you know that's prevented by articles of the Geneva Convention !!! whistle

well ok,.... unless you're an ally of the US ! blush

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 05:08 PM

Yeah thats it ! , we went there for WSD "Weapons of Shoe Destruction" the US screwed up it had nothing to do with WMDs

All kidding aside.

But what pisses me off is that the media has been going after the CIA for lack of security "wtf" I mean at the front door , guns checked , bombs checked , shiiit we forgot the soft shoe.

So what now check in all shoes at the door and walk in bare feet how stinky is that ?

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 05:29 PM

WARNING to FBI :

Try to make me check in my undies and you're in for it !!

I will NOT be responsible !! laugh

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 06:26 PM

What I have been wondering is the response of the Secret Service. In movies and the like when the president is threatened they will yell out "Gun" and dive for the president and cover him.

I didn't hear anyone yell " SHOE!". Either time. and the Iraqi president responded the quickest at least he put out his hand to try to protect our president. Wonder if he yelled out "SHOE!!"

dave

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 06:34 PM

Quote:

Seems security is very willing to take a bullet for Bush.

But take a shoe for the President! ??? ? ? ? Hmmmm . . .

smile

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/15/08 06:39 PM

Quote:
I didn't hear anyone yell " SHOE!"

No that would have taken Ed Sullivan,

"and today Mr President ... we have a really .... really Big Shoe !! wink

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/16/08 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
What I have been wondering is the response of the Secret Service. In movies and the like when the president is threatened they will yell out "Gun" and dive for the president and cover him.

I didn't hear anyone yell " SHOE!". Either time. and the Iraqi president responded the quickest at least he put out his hand to try to protect our president. Wonder if he yelled out "SHOE!!"

dave

LOL

Because it was a size 10 if was a 14 they would
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/16/08 01:09 PM

Quote:
So what we have is that we should be upset at the way our president reacted instead of being upset that a person attempted to insult our president. I think that is backwards.

That's just standard operating procedure around here, MrB. It's always been blame George Bush rather than blame the terrorists, blame Osama bin Laden, blame Saddam, blame the terrorist insurgents.

So some dumb@ss hurls his shoes at President Bush and The President didn't want to "feel his pain." So let's blame President Bush some more.

And so it continues.

Again, what will some people do with themselves when they no longer have George W. Bush to hate every second of every minute of every day of every year?

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/16/08 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: MattMac112
It's always been blame George Bush rather than blame the terrorists, blame Osama bin Laden, blame Saddam, blame the terrorist insurgents.

And so it continues.
that's funny that you say that, particularly about steveg, who used to be a supporter of Bush. Bush has the lowest approval ratings in history for a reason.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/16/08 06:36 PM

Quote:
Bush has the lowest approval ratings in history for a reason.

LOL... that's funny. I've seen quite a few posts where someone tells Bryan that... but it's always "Bush the Supreme"... he loves Bush and that's that way it is and always will be for Bryan.

Bush could crap on Bryan and he would see only the good in it.

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/16/08 07:52 PM

That is incorrect. Truman at 22% and Nixon at 24% are the lowest approval ratings in history.
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/16/08 07:55 PM

Quote:
That is incorrect. Truman at 22% and Nixon at 24% are the lowest approval ratings in history.

Ahhhhh, but Bush is a Monkey, so who's counting?

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/16/08 07:59 PM

And now we get to pop our popcorn, sit back, prop up our feet and let them show us how it's done. Liberals have the whole thing...both Houses of Congress, the White House...it's all theirs.

We want to see how you would do it better. We're waiting! Show and tell!

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/16/08 08:05 PM

Lowest approval rating

George W. Bush holds the record, at 19% (2/16-19/2008 -- during the Iraqi insurgency, and 09/16-19/2008 -- after an extremely bad economic week).
Harry S Truman is second lowest, at 22% (2/9-14/1952 -- during the Korean War).
Richard Nixon is third lowest, with 24% (7/12-15/1974, 8/2-5/1974 -- during the Watergate scandal).
Jimmy Carter is fourth lowest, with 28% (6/29-7/2/79 -- during the Iran hostage crisis).

and

Highest disapproval rating

George W. Bush holds the record with 76% (9/16-19/2008, 5% undecided, ARG [20] and 11/6-9/2008, 1% undecided, CNN [6]).
Harry S Truman is second highest, with 67% (1/6-11/1952, 9% undecided, Gallup Poll).
Richard Nixon is third highest, with 66% (1/4-7/1974, 10% undecided, Gallup Poll).
George H.W. Bush is fourth highest, with 60% (7/31-8/2/92, 11% undecided, Gallup Poll).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_rating
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/16/08 08:55 PM

WOW!.... so it is true.
Posted by: RedStudebaker

Re: Bush attacked by Iraqi journalist - 12/16/08 09:06 PM

You know, while al-Zaidi spoke for most of the world, he shouldn't have insulted dogs.