...because Republicans hate democracy...

Posted by: newkojak

...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 09:32 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Appeals court to take up GOP effort in Indiana<br>By KEN KUSMER<br>INDIANAPOLIS (AP) A divided Indiana Supreme Court on Friday rejected a effort by Republicans to shutter satellite early voting sites in three largely Democratic cities near Chicago, but an appeals court later agreed to expedite the case and set oral arguments for five days before the general election.<br>The state's highest court, voting 3-2, declined to grant a GOP request to rush its appeal of a special judge's ruling this week that the voting centers in the Lake County cities of Gary, Hammond and East Chicago should remain open and that closing them could jeopardize residents' right to vote. (source)<p><hr></blockquote><p>Get over it GOP. You pushed the voter ID law through. You dragged your feet on this election. You are trying to keep black people from voting. You say there is a risk of voter fraud? I say you think there is a risk of voting... and we can't have that.<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U
Posted by: Bryan

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 09:35 AM

Why do Dumbocrats need early voting anyway? Because without fraud, they don't win elections...plain and simple. <br><br>And since when is requiring an ID trying to "keep black people from voting?" Are black people incapable of getting a state ID or driver's license?<br><br>

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 09:59 AM

What's the last case of voter fraud proven in Lake County, IN?<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 10:10 AM

What ever happened to that probe of ACORN?<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U
Posted by: DLC

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 10:38 AM

The BIGGER question Bryan is WHY are we still voting on Tuesdays... a left over from Market Day in the 1700s !!<br><br>Kee-rist talk about resisting change !!<br><br>WHY are'nt we voting over a Weekend... Saturdays and Sundays (that way we don't offend any religious freaks)? It would be much easier !<br>WHY aren't we voting by MAIL like Oregon ? It would be much easier !<br><br>WHY isn't there a paper trail on ALL voting machines ? It would be much more reliable to be sure NO ONE D or R can tamper with results ? !<br><br>Why after the 2000 FIASCO are we still even discussing voter issues ?... they should have been corrected years ago... but I don't think Bushie boy and the GOP Congress wanted anything nailed down or fixed. Before you ask why hasn't the D Congress done it- rememebr the record filabiusters we've had the last 2 years.<br><br>Regardless of your Party this should be fixed for ALL !! .. and for GOOD !<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: carp

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 11:21 AM

Humm<br>I thought those voting machines gives you a printed receipt of who you voted for ?<br><br>

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 11:43 AM

They don't in GA, Steve ... a friend of mine lives in CT and they have paper ballots that you "bubble in" the paper is electronically counted but the paper ballot is kept for a "paper trail" ... I think that's smart....<br><br>so in GA why don't we have a paper print out that the voter reviews; if it's accurate they hit "SUBMIT"; and then turn in the paper receipt as a verification? DUH !!?? <br>State Officials say it'd be too expensive ! WHAT BS ! ...too expensive to install printers, but we can spend $10 Billion / month on Iraq and >$800 Billion on a Wall ST bailout !! BUT... we can't afford printers to be sure the most sacred political act we do - voting - is protected !<br><br>there is NO excuse for ANYONE ! Why didn't the GOP if they're do worried about elections stolen, fix it in 2001 when they could have ? WHY haven't the Dems done it ? {I do understand the power of the filibuster, but the DEMS should push it and then let the GOPers filibuster it - THAT hasn't happened either! so to the Dems too !}<br><br>This is one issue I'm really pissed about with BOTH PARTIES ...<br>GD-IT FIX it !! Somebody fscking FIX it !! <br><br>I think it's important for BOTH Parties and sides... IF you support Obama and he wins - you want to know it's fair and the losers want to know it's fair- then BOTH sides can possibly accept the results... <br><br>same with McCain - IF he wins - I (on the losing side) want to be sure it's "Fair and Accurate" -- if it is- I'll still be unhappy, but I'll know it was legitimate and the "WILL of the PEOPLE" ... not that of DiTech, or some evil doers to steal it (like in 2000) !<br><br>It makes the transition afterwards better and more easy to accept. IT's Better for the WHOLE Country. So where are most of the GOP with their "Country First" mantra on this issue ?<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 12:06 PM

Well I don't know about GA - but the machine I seen on TV did print out something that looked like a receipt , which makes sense to me. Like you said double check who you voted for hit submit , turn in the receipt just in case something does go wrong with the machines , they can revert back to the paper trail<br><br>

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 12:18 PM

Some states DO and some DON'T.... but it should be Law to be consistent across the whole country. It's too valuable an act to be left to chance and error, esp. after the debacle of 2000 !<br><br>I think we both agree no matter which side we favor...<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: steveg

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 01:14 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>this should be fixed<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ain't that the Re-pubic-an strategy in the first place? <br><br>

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 01:22 PM

Heard an interesting segment on NPR yesterday -- discussing how maintaining the electronic machines is a nightmare because if a machine is malfunctioning you have to wait for a certified tech to come and evaluate it, and then it has to sent back to the mfgr for whatever repairs are needed, and then it has to be re-certified, which takes several months! Apparently, the software in these systems is bloatware on steroids. Tens of thousands of lines of code -- much of which goes to the drawing of the freakin' on-screen icons! They were talking to a developer who is working on Open Source voteware that is more secure and stable, and easy to maintain. Years away, unfortunately.<br><br>

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 01:41 PM

"Apparently, the software in these systems is bloatware on steroids. Tens of thousands of lines of code -- much of which goes to the drawing of the freakin' on-screen icons! "<br><br><br>OH NO Steve.... DON'T tell me !!!<br><br><br>it runs on VISTA !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 02:04 PM

I thought all the machines were the same ? Humm<br><br>Anyway I guess the code convolution is because there is always state , county and amendments voting too at the same time and it varies from state to state.<br><br>So with that would it be better to have just a House , Senate , President election and have the state counties and amendments on a different year ?<br><br>

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 02:18 PM

"So with that would it be better to have just a House , Senate , President election and have the state counties and amendments on a different year ?"<br><br>Well every election costs the state money... that's why they pool various levels- National, state, and local...<br>I think the machines can be made privately but the code should be govt controlled with lots of Congressional oversight and lots of checks ...<br><br>Now Diebold writes the code and NO ONE knows what's in it... "closed"<br>this should be done on the inside not by some company who's CEO is a Republican... wouldn't matter if he were Democrat- it's just not kosher and open to lots of fraud !! More than Micky Mouse registering to vote... or 13 Obama supporters withdrawing their ballots.<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 04:12 PM

Actually, they're old, re-purposed Amigas running a hacked version of Video Toaster. <br><br>

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 04:15 PM

<br><br>

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 04:38 PM

ROFL !! <br><br>now we know where ACORN went !!<br><br>good detective work, Steve !! <br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Celandine

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/25/08 05:08 PM

Pot calls kettle "black".<br>-also-<br>Voter Fraud Voter Fraud<br><br> [color:white].<br></font color=white> [color:white]. .</font color=white>"Fool us thrice...and we get what we deserve."
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/26/08 04:23 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Why do Dumbocrats need early voting anyway? Because without fraud, they don't win elections...plain and simple. <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Pot, meet kettle.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/26/08 07:48 AM

Pssst...<br><br>[color:orange]This SHOULD HAVE BEEN Addressed<br>IMMEDIATELY Following Either or<br>BOTH of the last TWO "ELECTIONS".</font color=orange><br><br>Do you recall <br>one of my former Signature Lines?:<br><br><br><br><br><br><br> [color:white].<br></font color=white> [color:white]. .</font color=white>"Fool us thrice...and we get what we deserve."

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/26/08 07:51 AM

Agreed !! thanks for the reminder...<br><br>we need it AGAIN!! ugh !<br><br>course last time the vultures and jakels were in charge. <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/26/08 09:38 AM

"...you've been having a NiteMare...<br>(nitemare)...And It's NOT Over Yet!"<br>-Roger Waters- "Arabs With Knives"<br><br>What makes you think "THEY"'re Not STILL In Charge?<br><br>Not only do the Voting Machines differ from STATE - TO - STATE<br>THEY DIFFER FROM ONE COUNTY TO THE NEXT NATION WIDE!<br><br>(AGAIN) it's a little late to worry about it now ...maybe NEXT time. <br><br>(...after all, how much harm can be done in only four years, ...right?)<br><br> [color:white].<br></font color=white> [color:white]. .</font color=white>"Fool us thrice...and we get what we deserve."

Re: ...because Republicans hate democracy... - 10/26/08 09:43 AM

I have no assurance that they're not, <br><br>BUT if Barack gets in and doesn't FIX it PRONTO...<br><br>I'll know he's no different...<br><br>and we need to start over again for "REAL change".<br><br>David (OFI)