Obama is Dr. No

Posted by: garyW

Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 12:28 PM

... and therefore Michelle must be ... PussyGalore? Holly Goodhead? <br><br>McCain put out this ad which actually is pretty good for Obama. Except for the blatant falsehood of the "against innovation & electric cars" and "no to safe nuclear" claim, it's surprising McCain begins his own ad with Obama making a true statement: "New offshore drilling will not lower gas prices today!" ... something McCain admitted yesterday would have only a psychological effect. . <br><br><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3Zy50Dy6Zk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3Zy50Dy6Zk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object><br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 01:12 PM

When will the Rethugicans realize that we are tired of FUD? If McCain wants to give out $300 million dollars to whomever comes up with a new battery technology, why doesn't he front that money to fund the necessary research to develop such technology as well as others? Is he in the oil companies' pocket too?<br><br>Obama is campaigning on issues that he believes in. McCain is campaigning against issues that Obama believes in. What does McCain believe in? Anything? Give me a hint here.<br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 01:20 PM

If you're going for Dr No, then your correct cohort is Honey Ryder. <br><br>I used to think it was terrible that life was unfair. Then I thought what if life were fair and all of the terrible things that happen came because we really deserved them? Now I take comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.

Ahnold gets it! - 06/26/08 01:22 PM

Arnold puts down Crist and McCain over offshore drilling<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>he issued a firm rebuke over political talk (by Senator John McCain and Crist) over offshore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. "Anyone who tells you this will lower our gas prices anytime soon is blowing smoke,"<p><hr></blockquote><p>

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 01:25 PM

$300M is something that Toyota R&D might think is a wee bit chintzy considering the money and years already allocated to this. Yet, $300M is taxpayer money that McCain feels authorized to give away without any discussion. <br><br>Has McCain posted the rules to his $300M contest? Is he the judge of who wins? I hope he's allowing some time on his July 4th weekend to review the thousands of entries he'll be recieving. <br><br><br>Imagine McCain as Dr. Evil saying "$300 meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllion!"<br><br><br>

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 01:28 PM

Brown's gas. Isn't that something that happens when it wasn't really a fart? <br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 04:54 PM

Offshore drilling or drilling in ANWAR will not have an effect on our supply for ten plus years. But the commodities markets that bid oil up or down would react. They would consider that the US is finally getting serious about its energy policy. And the price would come down immediately. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 05:04 PM

The wikipage makes interesting reading in combination with this NationMaster page.<br><br>I don't know how drilling would affect anything, but given the numbers, it's self-evident (to me, anyways) that we aren't going to work our way out of the energy dead-end simply by depending on oil. Period. Either we find an alternative source of energy, or our civilization is going to go the way of all the other major hegemonic periods of history.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 05:07 PM

Not saying it wouldn't have an effect --- it might --- for a week.<br><br>but we have only 2% of the world's oil reserves we could drill ANWAR, the offshore, the gulf, etc till we were blue in the face... and it wouldn't add much.<br><br>The problem is like Brazil we have to develop Alternatives... this "drill or perish" mantra is near-sighted BS ! and the oil companies KNOW this and just use this to deflect responsibility and blame.<br><br>Bush should have invaded Canada or made them the 52nd state ! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 05:08 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>the 52nd state<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Not the 58th?<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 05:09 PM

OH shttt you're right.... excuse me !! the 58th !! <br><br>David (OFI)<br><br>wize - guy !

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 06:29 PM

Now you're talking! <br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 06:52 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Offshore drilling or drilling in ANWAR will not have an effect on our supply for ten plus years. But the commodities markets that bid oil up or down would react. They would consider that the US is finally getting serious about its energy policy. And the price would come down immediately. <p><hr></blockquote><p>What would really put an immediate effect onto the commodities market which would lower the price of a barrel of oil by 40 dollars is to put back in place the regulations that Ronald Reagan stripped off. Just the one which now allows oil futures speculation to work by putting down only 5 cents on the dollar. Get it back up to 50 cents to the dollar bet. Then you would see a real drop. <br><br>The announcement that ANWAR was going to be drilled would lower the price of a barrel about one plug nickel.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/26/08 08:03 PM

But the psychological advantage of allowing Big Oil to drill the pristine ANWAR would be similar to letting Cindy go hog-wild in the pharmacy vault of the AVMT.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/27/08 06:46 AM

the price would come down immediately<br><br>Dream on! <br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Obama is Dr. No - 06/27/08 11:05 AM

That's very much like saying that even though we know now how insignificant the increased production will yield, we're a lot smarter than energy traders. Gee, I hope the folks over on the oil market aren't listening to any of this right now.<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U