This is how the "older" generation sees him

Posted by: OSXaddict

This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 03:32 PM

ok, so this is an email my dad forwarded to everyone on his list. He is a conservative republican, which I lean towards some. But I wanted to post this to show how "they" think:<br><br><br><br><br><br>This election has really torn me. As a catholic, I can't agree with the Democratic party as far as abortion. But, AFAIK, that's about the only thing. I don't know if in fact Obama doesn't do those things that the cartoon said.<br><br>But I did want to post this in the spirit of "what my father thinks", whether it's right or wrong. How do you respond to something like this without going personal?<br><br>hmmm, I found the original cartoon on the Herald's site. It doesn't include the text below it. I'm still researching this, but if anyone knows where this originated, I would appreciate links.<br><br><br><br>[color:white]I'm also the Moderator here</font color=white><br><br>my photos
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 03:34 PM

The cartoon is funny. The caption isn't because it perpetuates the canards that are intended to do to Obama what the swiftboaters did to Kerry.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 03:42 PM

canards? If you mean the french term, then I kinda get you. <br><br>But is the caption true?<br><br><br><br>[color:white]I'm also the Moderator here</font color=white><br><br>my photos
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 03:47 PM

Well, I don't think anybody has mentioned this so I will. There is still a lot of hatred between some (I stress some) whites and blacks. My worst nightmare would be some black hating white person to assassinate him. I hate to even mention it but, some say that is what Clinton was implying just last week in her reasons for staying in the race. <br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 03:53 PM

The race card is being played in both ways, pro and con.<br><br>With the media excited about "the first Black presidential nominee," that doesn't help. We've heard all through this about him being Black.<br><br>HE'S HALF WHITE TOO PEOPLE.<br><br>Both sides are guilty of not telling the whole story.<br><br><br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 03:53 PM

Yeah, unfortunately there are idiots like that.<br><br>I was at lunch today with my friend who is AA and we talked about race. I told him that I don't give a [censored] what color you are, but I do care what KIND of person you are. (kind=personality)<br><br><br><br>[color:white]I'm also the Moderator here</font color=white><br><br>my photos

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 04:15 PM

I don't care what color he is. I don't care what religion he is in. I don't care what car he drives. I don't care who sold him his house. I just care if he can do a better job than the idiot we have in the white house now and can he get us out of this senseless war. <br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 04:29 PM

I'm pretty close to the "older generation" and I don't see that at all.<br><br>More cartoons by the same guy.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 04:48 PM

Well, I meant along with the caption under there, which the cartoonist didn't put there.<br><br>By older, I meant older, as in 80 years old. I didn't think you were that old?! <br><br><br><br>[color:white]I'm also the Moderator here</font color=white><br><br>my photos
Posted by: drjohn

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 05:08 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Well, I meant along with the caption under there, which the cartoonist didn't put there.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I pay little attention to that kind of nonsense...although sometimes it's amusing.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>By older, I meant older, as in 80 years old. I didn't think you were that old?!<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>OK, I'm not older. <br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 05:21 PM

The Ted Kennedy one? Wicked. They all are, but they're wicked funny, too, including the one John posted.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/04/08 05:23 PM

canard means an unfounded rumor or story<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: garyW

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/05/08 12:24 AM

True story.<br><br>I have an 80 year-old conservative jewish uncle that lives nearby, I stop by to visit him every few weeks or so. He enjoys talking politics ... He supports McCain (but he really liked Romney), and the only thing he's ever seen or heard of Obama has been throught the lens of FoxNews. He's never seen Obama speak other than a soundbite, only knows Obama from the jaded Hannity & FoxNews Friends descriptions of him. And he gets those same endless emails sent to him about the evil MuslimAmericaHating Obama. I try to tell him that they are just spam, but the damage is already done and he believes almost all of it.<br><br>Yesterday evening I talked with him on the phone and asked if he was going to watch Obama's speech. He hadn't planned on it but said he would.<br><br>Today he called me back to thank me! He watched Obama live on Fox, he said he was captivated from the beginning and moved to tears by the end of it he was so proud of the guy. He asked me how he could find out more about Obama and said he really really likes the guy, his message and his style of politics. He said to me "this Obama is going to get it right. This guy is like JFK."<br><br>Now, this is the really interesting part ... my uncle said he watched the Fox commentary after the speech. He watched Hannity, someone so familiar to him from watching every night for years, and couldn't understand why the talk was about Rev. Wright and not the speech. He told me that Fox was misrepresenting what he just heard and saw from Obama ... and it pissed him off!<br><br>I am one badass liberal tonight, I've done my work and am proud of it. (And my Obama yard sign is still standing almost 5 months later.)<br><br><br> <br><br>
Posted by: Mike

Right on! - 06/05/08 04:53 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I don't care what color he is. I don't care what religion he is in. I don't care what car he drives. I don't care who sold him his house. I just care if he can do a better job than the idiot we have in the white house now and can he get us out of this senseless war. <p><hr></blockquote><p> Aptly stated!! Amen to that!<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/05/08 06:59 AM

It's really going to be difficult to overcome the "conservative" FUD machine, especially since everything you get from the internet is true. <br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/05/08 07:06 AM

Congrats to both you and your uncle. At least he was willing to give Senator Obama a listen. Most already "know" all they need to "know" about Os...Obama.<br><br>

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/05/08 08:57 AM

You are so right. Everybody needs to listen. I still try to listen to McCain but to me he just doesn't make sense. But, I'm still listening to make sure I'm not missing something. <br><br>
Posted by: MrB

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/06/08 03:13 AM

Was he sworn in with the Quran? I thought that was that other guy.<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/06/08 07:59 AM

No, he was not sworn in with the Koran. None of what the caption says is true. But it sure sounds true, in the same way that the swiftboating of Kerry sounded true.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: This is how the "older" generation sees him - 06/06/08 10:06 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>but is the caption true?<p><hr></blockquote><p>No, it is Not.<br>.<br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green> <br>