latest poll

Posted by: FSM

latest poll - 05/16/08 06:55 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>New NPR poll (May 7,8,10) conducted by the Republican firm Public Opinion Strategies and the Democratic firm Greenberg Quinlan Rosner shows John McCain losing to Barack Obama in the general election by five points but nipping Hillary Clinton by a single point:<br><br>Obama 48<br>McCain 43<br><br>McCain 46<br>Clinton 45<p><hr></blockquote><p><a href="http://time-blog.com/real_clear_politics/2008/05/npr_poll_mccain_loses_to_obama.html">time magazine link</a><br><br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>
Posted by: DLC

Re: latest poll - 05/16/08 07:13 AM

I think those numbers are FUBAR. Who can vote with any conscious for McCain and 100 years of war? more deficits, more disabled GIs... no energy policy ? saber rattling with Iran... who wants that cr@p !!??<br><br>I know there are rabid righties out there, but not 43% ... gimme a break... maybe 25-30% of fools still out there... <br><br>David (OFI)<br><br>My in laws who I'm 99% sure voted for Bush are voting for Obama if he gets it. They're fed up with the war - high gas prices, soaring food costs... fsck that "and the horse (azz) that brung em !!" <br><br>Further Evidence:<br> Defeat in Mississippi ! <br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: latest poll - 05/16/08 07:46 AM

Obama can sure capture a lot of these votes by simply bringing back "change" and articulating it as faithfully as he can into real policy. That way, it is not just another Coke II rebranding effort, but the appeal is there. McCain is so hamstrung by his multiple positions over the last seven years, there is little he could do without going negative big time, which would alienate all those independent voters out there who are going to decide this election.<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U
Posted by: MacBozo

Negative ads aren't working - 05/16/08 08:06 AM

Obama warns Republicans about critical ads<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>In recent contests in Louisiana and Mississippi, Republicans or their allies ran TV ads linking the Democratic House nominees to Obama, warning that a vote for them was a tacit endorsement of Obama's agenda, which the ads described as very liberal. In Mississippi, ads against Democrat Travis Childers also tied him to Obama's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.<br><br>The efforts failed, putting Democrats in House seats the GOP had considered safe, and sending waves of panic through Republican circles nationwide.<p><hr></blockquote><p>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Negative ads aren't working - 05/16/08 08:23 AM

those special elections have been a huge bust for republicans and a huge win for Obama. to see dems win in highly republican districts where the republicans tried to tie the dems to Obama is just awesome. the dems stand to gain the presidency and a big boost in congress because republicans are playing their cards all wrong this time. they shouldn't have stay married to Bush for so long. if they'd written him off in 2006 when they suffered losses then they might have had a chance this november . . . but they didn't, thank gosh. <br><br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Negative ads aren't working - 05/16/08 09:23 AM

To compound it as well, these are very conservative Democrats being linked to Sen. Obama. If the Democrats and Sen. Obama want to, they can use the appeal of these new Representatives to make the case that the Democratic Party is indeed the big tent that can include all kinds of viewpoints. These kinds of pragmatic conservatives (Democrat and Republican) are also the same ones that Sen. Obama has been courting with reform legislation popular with all of those people fed up with the Republican Washington establishment.<br><br>Andrew Sullivan would say that Obama is just showing how new politics is beating the old. I would just say that Sen. Obama is engaging with voters where Republicans are engaging with lobbyists. The amazing part is that Sen. Obama has been able to work the bully pulpit on the campaign, before winning anything but most of the primary.<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U
Posted by: Clark

Re: latest poll - 05/16/08 11:26 AM

[color:blue]"Who can vote with any conscious for McCain and 100 years of war?"</font color=blue><br><br>I wish you were right but...<br>My barber told me she is voting for McCain. Reason, she's Republican.<br>A friend of mine may vote for McCain because he is hurting for money and he doesn't want the Democrats spending money on projects like health care.<br>Something like 18% of West Virginian voters said that Obama's race was a factor in deciding their vote. <br><br>Using your logic, I would have thought Kerry would have won the last election.<br><br>I think McCain can be had but Obama will have to pick a popular running mate. <br>I hope Obama has a lot of politically savvy people advising him.<br><br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: latest poll - 05/16/08 01:04 PM

I think you'll find that Obama has some very political savy folks on his team. That's one reason he's done so well against Clinton - she used political friends, who may not have been so politically minded as they should have been. Obama needed to assemble a political machine to take on Clinton, his only choice was to use experts, as he hasn't had the time to build up his array of friends to the same levels.<br><br>I used to think it was terrible that life was unfair. Then I thought what if life were fair and all of the terrible things that happen came because we really deserved them? Now I take comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: latest poll - 05/16/08 01:37 PM

I made the switch from Republican to Democrat last year and announced it at the old MacCentral Forum Lounge. The media, internet reading and the people at MacCentral convinced me. I actually liked Ron Paul best but since he's not in it, Obama sounds best to me. <br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: latest poll - 05/16/08 01:59 PM

Well I'm not exactly convinced Kerry Lost !<br>but many gave W the benefit of doubt... and they got sucked into the "fear factor" again... only to see things get lots worse... the war, the cost, the price of gas and groceries... I think many GOP will sit it out or voted against McCain to send a message to traditional Party conservatives and officials.... get new leaders.. the Neos are OUT ! bye, bye to the Bushes and the DeLay types. <br><br>I think people are genuinely concerned the home front is going to H in an hand basket: job security, costs of living, stagnant wages, gas, health care costs, their family's well being and future ..... we need to focus HERE... not Iraq or Iran.... McCain's message will be a very tough sell .. unless something catastrophic like 9-11 happens between now and Nov... Bush could attack Iran and make it more difficult for either candidate to ignore the problems in the Middle East. But i think people would really be pissed he did such a foolish thing and without Congress' consent. That could seal the next Presidents direction and slow any pull-out,,, but it could also backfire and make McCain more like Goldwater of 1964... that was a hellish GOP defeat.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Clark

Re: latest poll - 05/16/08 03:19 PM

One thing Bush and McCain have made perfectly clear is they are going to try to use the "fear factor" against Obama.<br>I think Obama did a good job of rebuking Bush and McCain today. <br>McCain is showing that he can be nasty.<br><br><br>