Clinton Wins!

Posted by: Clark

Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 01:10 PM

I am projecting Hillary Clinton as the winner of the West Virginia primary. Yea!<br>My exit polls show her winning W. Virginia by a whopping 41 percent. Yea!<br>I am giving her 20 delegates as compared to only 8 delegates for Obama. Yea!<br><br>Onward to the White House! Yea!<br><br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 02:01 PM

There is a certain amount of irony that she may well get her biggest win so late in a losing race. I suppose if she stellarly it will give her a boost into the last stretch. I suppose it will also be telling to the media and everyone else if she doesn't do as well as predicted.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 03:59 PM

There is nothing new here.<br>Nothing has changed since the news media declared Obama the nominee 6 days ago.<br>The outcome of this primary was predicted weeks ago. <br>West Virginia has all the demographics for Clinton, absolutely perfect for her.<br>Watch the donations start rolling in for Hillary like as if she has a chance.<br><br>Next week I think Clinton wins Kentucky and Obama wins Oregon. <br><br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 04:48 PM

You've really gone out on a limb so early in the night! But the exit polling could be very telling. No Democrat has won the WH since 1916 without winning WV in the general. <br><br>

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 05:16 PM

[color:blue]No Democrat has won the WH since 1916 without winning WV in the general.</font color=blue><br><br>Yes, CNN tells me that over and over again.<br>They tell me that Gore would have won had he won WV.<br>They tell me that Obama is going to be the next Dukakis.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 05:46 PM

I'm thinking more along the lines of the next Jimmy Carter. In the Oval, not after the fact. If he wins, it'll be interesting.<br><br>If he loses . . . well, he'll always have Clinton(s) to blame.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 06:37 PM

Are you a closet American Spectator reader???<br><br>Jimmy Carterís Second Term<br><br>"IS IT POSSIBLE that America really wants to return to those depressing days of gas lines and leisure suits? Of malaise and shock over the aggressiveness of America's enemies? The days when the policies Obama is advocating raised unemployment rates, interest rates and inflation rates into the double digits? When America's enemies looked the President of the United States in the eye -- and found he really wanted to kiss them on the cheek?<br><br>After all of those 55 previous elections for president, with policy results seriously on record from George Washington to George W. Bush, it doesn't take much now to understand what doesn't work. The policy failures, not only of American presidents but world leaders in general, are all right out there to be seen.<br><br>Obama's windfall profits tax idea? A Jimmy Carter biggie. "Unless we tax the oil companies, they will reap huge and undeserved windfall profits," fumed Carter on national television in 1980. The New York Times agreed, warning darkly that "legislators who sit by idly while oil profits soar will have to answer to the voters." With Democrats controlling Congress they got their way. As if on cue, oil production -- fell. To the tune of 1.6 billion fewer barrels. America's dependence on foreign oil rose. Eventually even the Times was agreeing the tax had to be repealed, and by 1988 Reagan, who campaigned against it, signed the repeal (by a Democrat Congress no less) into law. And Obama wants to do this all over again? Yes. It's not only not a new idea, it's not a better idea. Yet in terms of Obama, most tellingly it was a Carter idea.<br><br>Another Carter favorite was to appear to attack the wealthy, going after "rich businessmen" who enjoyed themselves with the "$50 martini lunch." Elected, Carter went after the martini business lunch tax deduction all right, but then quickly turned on the middle class with a Social Security payroll tax. Obama is already well on board with Carteresque rhetoric about "tax cuts for the wealthy." What taxes will a President Obama raise that, as with Carter, can't be discussed as a candidate?<br><br>
Posted by: electricron

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 07:11 PM

Demorgraphics makeup are important.<br>WV is a solid Democratic state, if Obama can't do well there, what makes you think he'll do well in Republican states, or Marginal states?<br><br>This late in the primary season, with his lead, he should be getting many jumping on the bandwagon votes. But he's not. Is that a bad sign for his future?<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 07:15 PM

[color:blue]"If he loses . . . well, he'll always have Clinton(s) to blame."</font color=blue><br><br>I know you don't believe that and I don't either.<br>The Republicans are going to make Hillary look like a saint in comparison.<br>McCain's got to be vulnerable. If the Democrats don't know how to attack him, how to beat him, then....oh well, fill in the blanks.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 07:24 PM

[color:blue]"This late in the primary season, with his lead, he should be getting many jumping on the bandwagon votes. But he's not"</font color=blue><br><br>It depends on how you look at it.<br>Next week will probably be a good week for Obama.<br>Since his North Carolina win, nearly 30 superdelegates have swung to Obama. <br><br><br>

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 07:36 PM

"Are you a closet American Spectator reader???"<br><br>Not yet, but that was an interesting read. Although, I'd forgotten the details of Carter's presidency. Not a fun place to revisit. That was my first presidential election. I voted for Ford.<br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 07:44 PM

Then they won't win. And there will be plenty of Obama supporters that will moan about if only Clinton hadn't . . . fill in the blanks. They already blame her for . . . fill in the blanks. No, I don't believe his loss would actually be her fault. But I don't believe the majority of his supporters will be willing to put an ounce of blame on him.<br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 07:59 PM

Okay, we get it... you don't like or trust Obama's supporters. Are there any more blanket statements you'd like to make?<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 08:06 PM

Uh, that you're taking my opinions a little too personal? <br><br>Or how about ~ last year, everybody's favorite sport here was to pile on Bush. He's a monkey, pinhead, dickhead . . . but criticize ODude? Joke about a room full of man crushes? <br><br>It sure puts a new spin on With Us or Against Us, doesn't it?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 08:34 PM

I always thought it was in poor form to pick on Bush's voters though. I can't say that I agreed with them, but I never held them is such disdain to play would-a could-a with them. Say what you will about Obama and his policy. But talking about his supporters as though they are uniformly thoughtless and irresponsible is not worth the insult for whatever such little wisdom is contained in blanket statements of any type.<br><br>I have no idea what is going to happen in the general election. I believe that Sen. Obama will win. He will be taking a steady, bottom-up, decentralized campaign that favors popular policies into a contest against the old political system. Should something go wrong, it will probably be because the style of campaign that Sen. Obama is running just hasn't been refined enough yet. This is after all the fire that the Dean campaign started in 2004.<br><br>For all of the race-baiting Sen. Clinton has done in this campaign, it would take her going completely off the rocker for her to ruin the general election for Sen. Obama.<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U
Posted by: DLC

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 09:10 PM

"WV is a solid Democratic state, if Obama can't do well there, what makes you think he'll do well in Republican states,..."<br><br>well he's running against another democrat, Ron. geee ... and she's a very formidable one too... she's not the tooth fairy !!<br><br>I don't know why the talking heads, react this way... there are 2 democrats .. and only so many votes... <br><br>In the fall, I just don't think they'll vote for McCain and 100 years more of bellicose policies... , and NO energy policy.. except drill more !! .. and no fiscal policy except, spend more .... in Iraq ! ... and No health care policy... except private insurance no one can afford. .. even businesses are screaming it's killing them. The problem with the health insurance companies and that approach is they are gouging people just like the oil companies! they're not the solution - they're the problem !<br><br> I think McCain is a goner,,,, unless Obama does something really, really stupid. ... like join Hamas !! <br><br>McCain is 4 more years of Bush policies... he can't shake that image... <br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: garyW

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 09:22 PM

A bad sign just like all of these other blowouts*! <br><br>AK: 75/25<br>CO: 67/32<br>D.C. 75/24<br>GA: 67/31<br>HI: 76/24<br>ID: 79/17<br>IL: 65/33<br>KS: 74/26<br>ME : 59/40<br>MD: 60/37<br>MN: 66/32<br>SC: 55/27<br>WY: 61/38<br><br><br>Tonight Clinton gained about 140K popular votes, I heard earlier they predicted over twice that amount (although delegates nominate, not poular vote). Also Clinton's 12 WV degate today turns into only a net of 2 with today's other obama SD pledges and 1 switched SD from Clinton to Obama.<br><br>But for some reason tonight WV (with a demographic of 95% white mostly blue-collar voters ) becomes the important demographic that's going to indicate where the General Election is headed ... and 30% of WV Democrats voted for Bush in 2004. <br><br><br><br>*all Obama wins . For some perspective, Obama netted more delegates from winning Idaho than Clinton did tonight in WV.
Posted by: FSM

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 09:29 PM

in North Carolina recently, McCain couldn't even get a full 3 out of 4 republican votes and he's the nominee. McCain has trouble heading into November. he's a weak candidate who does a poor job of speaking about the economy and has bad positions that most Americans don't like. that doesn't bode well. <br><br>Obama will choose his VP carefully. if he has to pick Hillary that will be unfortunate. if not, he'll pick someone who the poorer, white working class voters can relate to enough to keep their vote with the dems. on the other hand, Obama puts new states into play like Missouri, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Iowa, North Carolina, etc. so he may not need West Virginia and Pennsylvania? i think the electoral map's history should be thrown out the window.<br><br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/13/08 09:39 PM

[color:blue]"Obama will choose his VP carefully."</font color=blue><br><br>I was just thinking about that. <br>It is extremely critical that Obama picks the right running mate. <br>I don't know who that would be (Edwards, Clinton, Clark) but he had better choose wisely.<br><br><br>

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/14/08 08:24 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>But the exit polling could be very telling.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>The WV exit polls show 81% of Clinton's voters stated that "race is important" in their decision.<br><br><br>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21226014<br><br><br>

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/14/08 09:09 AM

That is very, very scary.<br><br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/14/08 10:02 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The WV exit polls show 81% of Clinton's voters stated that "race is important" in their decision.<p><hr></blockquote><p>One of us isn't reading the data correctly. Only 22% of the voters said race was important. Of that 22%, 82% voted for Clinton so only 18% of those who voted for Clinton said race was important, assuming my math is correct.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Clinton Wins! - 05/14/08 10:31 AM

I am glad to be wrong... <br><br><br><br>