Going "green"

Posted by: MacBozo

Going "green" - 05/01/08 01:20 PM

I thought I'd start a new thread for this rather than have it buried in another one.<br><br>True story: I have one of those reusable grocery bags that I use when I go into the store for a few items (my wife does the heavy shopping and has her own bags) so that I don't use those plastic bags (one or two items per bag). The reusable bag can hold quite a bit in comparison. So, the young checkout girl, when confronted with the reusable bag, offered to bag my items in plastic and then place them into my bag. Anyway, I told her to not use the plastic and simply place the items into the reusable bag because that is the whole point.<br><br>So, how do we educate people?<br><br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 02:48 PM

Like everything else it's going to come down to economics. If it contributes to the profit margin directly or indirectly it will happen. <br>Our daughter works as a check out girl for a major grocery store, she has been told to accommodate shoppers with their own bags. But she was also told not to encourage the practice. It slows down the check-out process. "Start bagging to plastic as you were trained. It will effect your performance review if you can't clear shoppers to the norm or above." <br>Quite frankly, I agree that reusing shopping bags has a cost savings. But until grocers figure out how to stream line the process they will piss and moan that it costs them money. <br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 02:57 PM

I would think that severely reducing/eliminating those plastic bags would decrease their overhead in the long run. I'd even bag my own to save time at the checkout. Maybe the retailers could begin offering a discount for using your own bags. Those plastic bags consume resources from manufacture to disposal.<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 03:17 PM

I don't know what they're worried about... everyone will be buying Less and you won't have much to bag anyway !! <br><br>sheez.. some businesses are so stupid. <br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 06:52 PM

people choosing to use the perma-bags can help the cause by <br>placing the items on the checkout counter in a logical order.<br><br>I've been doing it for years...<br>Put the heavy unbreakable stuff first so your 10lbs of taters<br>doan wind up on top of your 10 oz bag of chips. That speeds up <br>the packing, and you're responsible if your bread gets crushed. <br><br><br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green> [color:green]. . . _ _ _ . . .</font color=green><br>

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 07:04 PM

<br>Goodonya 4 the GREENIE Thread <br><br>I was going to start a thread 2 days ago, but now I doan hafta'!<br><br><br>I just replaced the LAST Incandescent bulb in my 5 rm flat.<br><br>When the bulb in the common hall burnt out last week, <br>I replaced it with a 15watt (60watt equivalent) CURLY BULB.<br><br>The first compact fluorescent I bought 15 years ago cost $15.00<br>...this last one was a $1.50 ! <br><br>The technology was there all along... they just kept the price<br>prohibitively high until people created the demand... the same<br>will happen with everything else if we keep applying pressure.<br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green> [color:green]. . . _ _ _ . . .</font color=green><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 07:39 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>So, how do we educate people?<p><hr></blockquote><p> Now that I have the hang of it I don't think it is economics, but what is easier. I've had to do two things.<br>1) Remember to bring the reusable bags with me and not leave them in the car.<br>2) get them up there on the counter so they don't use the plastic.<br><br>If I remember 1 and 2 then I can carry much more in two or three of the reusable bags than all the plastic ones and they have no chance of breaking. I can bag the stuff faster then the normal bagger using these big reusable bags. <br><br>So really it is only re-educating ourselves. Then it is the easiest way. Took me a week to retrain my brain. Now I wouldn't think of walking in a store without my own bags.<br><br>

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 07:42 PM

We've been a cfc household for awhile now. And I will make the transition to led when it becomes practical. But the cost savings is more of a motivation to me. I could care less about the green aspect. <br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 07:48 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>We've been a cfc household for awhile now.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Oh, just admit it mojo. You eat granola and you have a favorite pair of Birkinstocks. Come out of the closet.<br><br>

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 07:53 PM

I love oatmeal and eat it every morning. I like the real stuff. Not the instant shiit. And I prefer my oatmeal al dente. As far as the birkies. I have a pair or two. <br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 07:58 PM

You're technically more hippie than me! I do drive a hatchback though. That probably scores me a couple points somewhere.<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 08:03 PM

May I ask what chain of grocery stores you are talking about? I could easily see that happening at Dominick's (owned by Safeway) or at Jewel (formally owned by Albertson's, now by a different chain). Both of those places try to rush everyone through their lanes, but manage to have the slowest and most crowded checkouts I have been through.<br><br>I shop at a 13-store chain called Strack and Van Til. They're privately held and have some of the fastest and best service I have seen in a large supermarket. They also give you a 5c credit if you bring your own bag. I normally just leave my bag on top of everything on the conveyer and the cashier knows what it's all about.<br><br>I don't know if I've gotten my money back in savings for the bag (probably not), but the little 5c credit is really more of a token to help me remember to bring the bags in.<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 11:03 PM

<br>I think it's pretty cool that many of the stores I shop in lately<br>offer the reusable bags from displays in front of the store.<br><br>I started getting them because some of them were GORGEOUS<br>so it was no problem purchasing one or two at a time. Now I'm<br>seeing Canvas ones with the store names on them everywhere.<br><br>So.. it's becoming trendy? Cool to Go Green? OUTRAGEOUS! <br><br>..now I can die a happy camper<br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green> [color:green]. . . _ _ _ . . .</font color=green><br>
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: Going "green" - 05/01/08 11:48 PM

Being in grocery store management and dealing with the bag issue every day, it is definitely in a period of transition and it should be everywhere. The state of Cali has laws in effect that are having positive results. They require recycling and the sale of reusable bags. This makes sense. <br><br>New laws being considered might turn out to be more dubious in practice. There are proposals in the state legislature calling for a 15 to 25 tax on each plastic bag used. This would be assessed at the checkstand depending on how many bags each customer uses for their order. Funny thing is, the bags cost only about 3 each. Hmmm... <br><br>Even though a high cost would lead to more people moving away from using as many plastic bags, it could have some undesirable effects. Overstuffing the ever thinner plastic bags of today will lead to more breakage and waste. <br><br>Attitude from the top down and training those actually dealing with the different bags is what is needed and is not that difficult. We still offer paper or plastic as well as the new reusable bags. We recently participated in a one week ad special offer to our customers to get 2 free reusable bags with a $20 purchase. This was underwritten by our ad group in conjunction with our grocery supplier. We gave away thousands of reusable bags between our two stores during this promotion. We sell them regularly for under a dollar and they are projected to have a one year life span. YMMV They are made from non woven polypropylene and can be washed. <br><br>Our stores have also sold our own custom made reusable large durable canvas bags for about twenty years, long before it became trendy or PC. These sell for about $5. (btw, I also designed the graphic for latest version on my Mac.) We have also encouraged customers to bring their own reusable bags from any store for many years. We get customers using canvas and the newer reusable bags from many, many other stores.<br><br>The training for properly bagging groceries into reusable bags is not really that difficult. Our courtesy clerks have adjusted quite well and customer service is very important to us. The reusable bags really are sturdier and can hold more groceries than plastic. The most difficult thing is for customers to remember to bring them back to the store each time. It just takes a slight change of habits.<br><br>Chris<br><br><a href="http://www.light-imagery.com/index.html"target="_blank"></a><br><br>

Re: Going "green" - 05/02/08 03:46 AM

It's a regional chain. Price Chopper. <br><br>