Japan names town after Barack Obama

Posted by: Topper

Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 06:05 AM

Oh, all right, I lied. But there is a town named Obama in Japan.<br><br>Not all of Barack Obama's biggest fans live in the Land of the Free. In fact, 32,000 of them live in the Land of the Rising Sun in a small and unremarkable coastal town with a remarkable name.<br><br>The town of Obama has been quick to show its support for its namesake. There are 'Go Obama!' posters on every wall, 'I love Obama' T-shirts on every other chest, the most regularly played ditty on local radio is a theme song called 'Obama Is A Wonderful World', and the town's bakery is doing a roaring trade in sweet bean cakes with the Democrat hopeful's face on them.<br><br>Mayor Toshio Murakami sent Obama a set of the city's famous lacquer chopsticks, a DVD of Obama and a letter wishing him the best. He even sent him a daruma doll with 'Victory' written across its chest, a traditional good-luck charm in Japanese elections.<br><br>"We formed our group on February 4," said Seiji Fujiwara, the leader of the Obama support group. "He put up a good fight on Super Tuesday and then won eleven consecutive contests, so I think our support did him no harm and, in fact, carried him in the right direction."<br><br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 06:30 AM

I am not even remotely impressed.<br><br>Really.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 06:36 AM

That's because you are big time, I'm not.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 06:45 AM

No, that's because everybody on the planet shares a name with something, somewhere. ODude is no different.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 06:55 AM

I am disappointed that nobody from the town of Topper has ever sent me a daruma doll.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 09:33 AM

Here's what the dictionary says about "lea":<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>an open area of grassy or arable land : the lowing herd winds slowly o'er the lea<p><hr></blockquote><p>The quoted passage is from Thomas Gray's "Elegy on a Country Churchyard," a great poem<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 09:41 AM

I really was named after my grandfather, with a change in spelling of course. My youngest Twilight Zone experience was the first time I saw one of these.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>I can't remember how little I was, but it was a classic case of reading without comprehension. Totally freaked me out. <br><br><br>Edit: Thank you for the lovely literary reference. <br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lea on 02/24/08 12:43 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 01:16 PM

Hadn't heard of this, but am not surprised, his name has a kind of Japanese ring to it. Looked it up. It's got 32,000 people and means, ahem, (Lea is gonna like this too much) "little beach". The bama part is the same word that makes up the "hama" in Yokohama.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 01:25 PM

Is hama-bama what means "beach"? So Yokohama means Yoko's beach?<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 01:32 PM

Yoko in this case means horizontal, basically. In Yokohama's case, I have always taken it to mean, "wide beach". <br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 02:05 PM

Aha . . . no wonder Lennon married Yoko, then! <br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 02:08 PM

I suppose Ono means "load".<br><br>- alec -

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 02:11 PM

Yoko Ono tranlated to English is Gravy Trainer. I'm pretty sure.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 02:53 PM

Could be worse. Just as long as "Barack" doesn't translate to "prissy."<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mike

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 03:12 PM

That depends on its correct pronunciation. <br>I you accent the second syllable, it sounds more like an expression generally attributed to Mr Bill...<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: globalrolf

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 03:16 PM

But nothing can beat Joe, Montana. <br><br>GBR (OFI)

Re: Japan names town after Barack Obama - 02/24/08 03:45 PM

<br><br>Or Lindsey, England. And if anybody thinks that's crude, then don't laugh at this, either. Remember, I warned you, but would you listen?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>