The Etiquette of Talking Politics

Posted by: newkojak

The Etiquette of Talking Politics - 02/22/08 11:24 AM

Amy Post: The Etiquette of Talking Politics<br><br>The only one I disagree with is #2. It's okay to stop participation in an argument, but in an open community, it's rude to do so with just a stock phrase. It's much better to simply point out the sticking point in the disagreement and leave it with that. Saying, "It looks like we just disagree on blah blah. I can see your point though," is much much better than that corny "agree to disagree" crap. Cliches don't say anything and only frustrate people who are in disagreement.<br><br>There is a larger point here though too that is left out, probably because it's too big to fit into a five-point list. Having a polite conversation about things you care about is an ethical activity. Especially with politics, it's a way for people to practice simple courtesy while the personal stakes are in fact pretty low. I've learned more about conflict resolution and allowing other people to see things the way they will in the biggest political fights online at MCF and here at MM.<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U
Posted by: polymerase

Re: The Etiquette of Talking Politics - 02/22/08 11:46 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I've learned more about conflict resolution and allowing other people to see things the way they will in the biggest political fights online at MCF and here at MM.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Same here. I try out more radical viewpoints here to get people arguing. I'm not such a flaming jackass in real life (imho) but I find it more fun to argue here form a more strident stance.<br><br>But the beach is calling ...<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The Etiquette of Talking Politics - 02/22/08 11:46 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'm not such a flaming jackass in real life<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>No wonder they took your title away!<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: The Etiquette of Talking Politics - 02/22/08 11:49 AM

But no one stopped by and I think I have been holding up my end of the jackass bargain here. <br><br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: The Etiquette of Talking Politics - 02/22/08 12:01 PM

Wait a minute. From "Head" jackass to "Flaming" jackass . . .<br><br>How soon will the media peg you as gay, and how soon will you be denying it? (I'll be taking bets in the back room.)<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The Etiquette of Talking Politics - 02/22/08 12:18 PM

Poly must be reading the NY Times.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: The Etiquette of Talking Politics - 02/22/08 12:28 PM

That's so gay.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>( <----- Just in case a stranger is peeping in the window at our gayness.)<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: The Etiquette of Talking Politics - 02/22/08 12:52 PM

"It's much better to simply point out the sticking point in the disagreement and leave it with that."<br><br>Nuke 'em til they glow! Oh wait, wrong thread. Sorry.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: lanovami

Re: The Etiquette of Talking Politics - 02/22/08 12:54 PM

"That's so gay."<br><br>That word gay as in meaning "uncool" or "unworkable" seems to be pretty accepted these days huh? I have gay friends who have no problem using it in this context.<br><br>I've always assumed it originally had negative connotations, back when the word (and being homosexual) had more a of a stigma, but then eventually transcended it's origins. Much like "pimping" come to think of it.<br><br>Anyway, I'm rambling. Back to the etiquette of politics.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: The Etiquette of Talking Politics - 02/22/08 01:56 PM

"I'm not such a flaming jackass in real life "<br><br>Me either. But I do like to act like one here!!! <br><br>

Re: The Etiquette of Talking Politics - 02/22/08 02:15 PM

I'm a nasty smartass in real life and I intentionally pick fights with anybody that will stand still long enough. I sic my dogs on Jehovah's Witnesses and prefer the neighborhood cats for target practice. Let's see, what else . . .<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>