Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in state...

Posted by: ichi

Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in state... - 02/21/08 12:01 AM

<a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23238493/">Florida adopts ‘scientific theory of evolution’<br>Vote marks first use of word ‘evolution’ in state science standards</a><br><br>For the first time, the phrase "scientific theory of evolution" may be used in Florida's public classrooms, thanks to the state's Board of Education's recent vote. This decision brings the state's young learners up to the scientific standards of at least 150 years ago.<br><br><br>"if you wish to fear nothing, consider that everything is to be feared." <br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>
Posted by: Mongol

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/21/08 06:26 PM

WOW! Hurrah for Florida! About time somebody woke up from this pipe dream!<br><br>I've joined the RON PAUL REVOLUTION - www.ronpaul2008.com

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/22/08 10:27 PM

I'm beginning to like Floridians more and more...<br><br> http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbdeerfield0221sbfeb21,0,523422.story<br><br>A government that is large enough to supply everything you need is large enough to take everything you have - Thomas Jefferson
Posted by: eckhard

am I reading this right??? - 02/23/08 05:55 AM

<br>I see ‘scientific theory of evolution’ as a gaping wide opening for creationists to now also add the "other theory of human origin", just tying in with the existing language.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: cope

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in state... - 02/23/08 10:34 AM

Well, I am going to toot my horn a bit and weigh in on this matter.<br><br>I was one of the writers of the new standards, specifically the earth/space science standards and the only one with a background in geology. There was a total of about 50 framers and writers from around the state and we met and worked all over Florida from last July on.<br><br>I am very happy with the standards. The "scientific theory of..." was added at the last minute behind the writer's and framer's backs. Though I am unhappy with how they did it, it is not a major problem to me. All of us, however, got a pretty good lesson in the sleazy reality of political expediency.<br><br>The major caveat, however, is that we need to make sure science teachers know and teach the proper scientific meaning of "theory" and that it isn't a synonym for "crazy ass guess" as the unlearned would have the world believe. I know for a fact that some of my colleagues do not understand or teach the proper meaning.<br><br>I will gladly teach any other scientific theories on the origin of species if somebody cares to offer one up. However, the only tactic of the creationist/ID folk seems to be sniping attacks on one aspect of evolution or another. Maybe, just maybe we can start to turn around the mindset that is demonstrated in this graphic.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/23/08 10:50 AM

Just shows that we're all wanna-be turkeys.<br><br>I know, I know . . . terribly insensitive <br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/23/08 02:27 PM

I was edumacated in Florida through the 50s and 60s and I was taught the theory of evolution throughout my science classes. It was never a problem.<br><br><br>

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/23/08 09:50 PM

By definition: (Websters) THEORY- 1. Speculation - a doctrine or scheme of things , which terminates in speculation or contemplation, without a view to practice. It is here taken in an unfavorable sense, implying something visionary. In other words, you had it right to begin with "a wild-ass guess", hence THEORY. No fact involved. The only sniping comes from anti-creationists and those who refuse to see FACTS from numerous scientists, and others, fully refuting the THEORY of evolution. The only reason this is so hard for some to grasp, is their avowed hatred for God. Darwin, and others that have "seen the light" have admitted this. Glad the group as a whole inserted "scientific theory". Hope more of the rest of the States do exactly as you say, and reverse the graphic for the "US to "0" believing in "evilution". <br><br>A government that is large enough to supply everything you need is large enough to take everything you have - Thomas Jefferson

there we go, cope - 02/24/08 02:00 AM

<br><br>This is why adding "scientific therory" was a sly move by the evangelicals, because the non-scientifically educated (soon = most Americans) mix up speculation with scietific therory.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: keymaker

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/24/08 02:22 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Darwin, and others that have "seen the light" have admitted this.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Not really - Darwin died in AD 1882.<br><br>km<br><br><br><br><br>

DNFTT - 02/24/08 04:53 AM

And this is why the US and A is going to be the Portugal of tomorrow.<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/24/08 06:52 AM

can I post in this thread?<br><br>

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/24/08 06:53 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I was edumacated in Florida through the 50s and 60s and I was taught the theory of evolution throughout my science classes. It was never a problem.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You think you made it out alive from a scientific education which taught evolution in a substandard way but what about the rest of your class? Could there have been a budding molecular biologist which was never given a chance because she never saw the beauty and intricacy of evolution in practice? Were they teaching it on the same footing as creationism?<br><br><br>

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/24/08 06:54 AM

part II<br><br><br>Somehow there is this unreasonable assertion that evolution is easy to understand. It is not. You need committed teachers who keep up with the literature. There is also another unreasonable assertion that the smart kid who would become a scientist is going to find the facts and find the truth. It just isn't so. Smart kids can be brainwashed just as easily as dumb kids. <br><br>The sad fact is that 50% of the US population believes in creation and not evolution. We are not even on the third world table as measured by science smarts. If it wasn't for Turkey we would be last.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/24/08 06:56 AM

part III<br><br><br>It is a crime that we are sentencing kids to this stupid purgatory. It cuts the legs out from under them and it cuts the legs out from under our country. We cannot compete on the world stage with a stupid populace. Our economic engine is going to shut down as other countries which do know how to compete with biological technology start to blow us away.<br><br><br>

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/24/08 06:56 AM

part IV<br><br><br>You cannot understand anything in biology if you cannot understand evolution. It's not some card trick you can just learn. You cannot do calculus if you cannot do long division. You may be able to fake it. You may be able to become a technician or a drone with a calculator but you cannot become a scientist and make new discoveries.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/24/08 06:58 AM

that was weird. There was no way I could get that posted in one dollop. It's like my Dulles internet gerbil will not allow over 200 words in a post at one time. <br><br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/24/08 07:13 AM

It's OK, and actually it was more fun to read the way you wound up posting, more effective. But . . . rumor has it he can't hear you (which I'm finally starting to believe and am really good with).<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/24/08 09:05 AM

They didn't teach creationism when I was in school. That was the church's domain.<br><br><br>

Re: DNFTT - 02/24/08 09:09 AM

<br>what do you have against Portugal? ;)<br><br><br><br>

Re: DNFTT - 02/24/08 09:36 AM

HEE HEE, eck, nothing. It is a beautiful country. I was just making a reference to the fact that at one time, Portugal ruled (or had papal dominion) over half the globe.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: DNFTT - 02/24/08 09:37 AM

Which used to be an answer to Stalin's question about how many troops the Pope has.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/24/08 10:17 AM

But I have my doubts they taught evolution as a Theory instead of Mongol's definition of theory. That is the travesty. Molecular biology cannot be taught to someone who does not believe in evolution as the intractable and unmovable fact that it is.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Florida: first use of word ‘evolution’ in stat - 02/24/08 10:26 AM

Well, I didn't come to my understanding of it through divine intervention. <br><br>The whole concept of creationism vs. evolution simply was not an issue when I was in school.<br><br><br>

Re: DNFTT - 02/24/08 11:00 AM

<br>I know, I know ...... have been chomping at the bit to start a thread or two on empires past and present.... and what they have left behind. ;)<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: DNFTT - 02/24/08 12:12 PM

"And this is why the US and A is going to be the Portugal of tomorrow."<br><br>And make port and wine corks instead of Stealth bombers and ICBMs? Tomorrow can't come fast enough.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: Inverted_Flag

Florida. S.American power, drugs and paradise? - 02/24/08 12:23 PM

More like traffic and weather control...<br>anyhew:<br><br>zeitgeistmovie.com<br><br>hugh? seen it already? so did they.<br><br>[color:green]"Hatred your reward for our love..." - Bob.</font color=green>